Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build up a light wheelset that I will be careful with how I use (not just racing only per se, but I won't abuse it). I will use it for some endurance races.

I'm 165 lbs or so and race in the midwest (not terribly technical)

want to use dt spokes/nipples... how light can I get away with?

likely 2.0/1.5 revolution spokes? or can I go lighter?

excited to get this stuff ordered and built up-

·
Registered
910 Posts
Stans ZTR Race 29er Wheel sets uses DT Revolution 2.0/1.5.

When I built a 26er Wheel set years ago with the Stans ZTR Olympic rims I used DT super comp (1.8/1.7/2.0) for durability. I have not had any problems, so I am thinking of going DT Areolite next. The blade helps your true the wheel, which is the weakness of the DT Revolution 2.0/1.5 because the twist so easy.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
2silent said:
Looking to build up a light wheelset that I will be careful with how I use (not just racing only per se, but I won't abuse it). I will use it for some endurance races.

I'm 165 lbs or so and race in the midwest (not terribly technical)

want to use dt spokes/nipples... how light can I get away with?

likely 2.0/1.5 revolution spokes? or can I go lighter?

excited to get this stuff ordered and built up-
What exactly did you have in mind that is lighter:eekster:

Neither Sapim CX-Ray or DT Aerolite spokes are any lighter, maybe Marwi Ti-Dye which make for a rather flexy wheel.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on a build, single speed, for my Misfit. The builder, Ligero, for my weight of 157 lb. go DT Revolutions all the way around. Troy built me a set of 1270 gram clinchers for my road bike that are 4 years old this month and still spinning sweet.

Here is what I went with:

Industry 9 red single speed disc hubs
black DT revolution spokes
Red DT alloy nipples
Stan's Crest rims

1 - 5 of 5 Posts