Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody try weight watchers or nutrisystem? My fiance is going to sign up and I need to drop 30lbs so i'm contemplating it...but i'm concerned that the foods they send or the points system doesn't take into account the 10 to 15 hours of riding I do a week. I don't want to sign up and go into a 2000 calorie a day deficit since that will likely screw up my metabolism. Anybody know if either plan takes activity levels, or more specfically cycling for 10 to 15 hours into account??

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
bigdudecycling said:
Anybody try weight watchers or nutrisystem? My fiance is going to sign up and I need to drop 30lbs so i'm contemplating it...but i'm concerned that the foods they send or the points system doesn't take into account the 10 to 15 hours of riding I do a week. I don't want to sign up and go into a 2000 calorie a day deficit since that will likely screw up my metabolism. Anybody know if either plan takes activity levels, or more specfically cycling for 10 to 15 hours into account??
If you really ride 10+ hours a week you may end up being in a low energy state at first. It takes about 2 weeks for your body to become accustomed to it. I lost about 18 pounds on a modified south beach diet and the first week was hard.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you only need to loose 30 lbs there is no need for meal plans. Ride a bit more and/or eat a bit less. Cut out the empty calories in candy, soda and the like. If you were 130lbs overweight go for the diet plan it would be worth it. I went from 215ish down to 180 over the course of last winter by cutting back on the bs calories and being more active(less X-box and rode the trainer instead of the couch).

·
Aquaman
419 Posts
Nutrisystem: I have never tried it. I lived with a guy who was on it. On the good side he lost weight. Now the bad side. He was always hungry, and it (nutrisystem) did not really integrate working out into the plan. You also have to buy there food (hello sodium). Seems very restrictive on what foods you can eat.

Weight watchers (WW): My wife and I were on it and lost quit a bit of weight. I will start with the bad. You have to go to meetings and they mainly consist of women. That can be kind of emasculating. Now for the good. It is not a diet like Nutrisystem. They teach life style changes like how to make good food choices, portion control, and exercise. You can eat ANYTHING. I never bought a single WW food product.

I have seen several studies on weight lose plans and the only other plan with more success than WW is the Atkins. On the flip side the same study also shoed that most of the Atkins participants gained there weight back while WW's participant did not. If you have more question feel free to PM me.

·
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seanbike said:
If you only need to loose 30 lbs there is no need for meal plans. Ride a bit more and/or eat a bit less. Cut out the empty calories in candy, soda and the like. If you were 130lbs overweight go for the diet plan it would be worth it. I went from 215ish down to 180 over the course of last winter by cutting back on the bs calories and being more active(less X-box and rode the trainer instead of the couch).
I hear ya', and I"m in the range you were (wanna go from 220 to 190), but I've got a wicked self control problem, so a strict program I can get obsessed with is probably a better option for me than leaving it purely to my own devices. Everytime I commit to lose weight its generally pretty radical and has results, whenever I half-a$$ it, it never works.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That's the problem with radical solutions, they just don't work. Moderation and determination are the name of the game.

Try to make a competition or game of it. One thing that really helped me get started was my brother-in-law ran a Biggest Loser competion via e-mail at that time. Everyone was assigned a number instead of listing names and he was the only person that knew I was number 10 and who participant number 6 was and so on. That little bit of competition and the chance of taking home $100(each participant had to chip in $10) made me work at it each day. If I didn't exercise I couldn't justify a cheese burger and fries. After an hour on the trainer I didn't care so much about having a slighly naughty lunch. I did stop supersizing everything, regular size is just fine for my waist and wallet now.

Don't completly rid the house of all foods that give you some pleasure but only have 1 bag of chips in the cabinet even if they were buy one get one free and the grocery store. Buy 1 candy bar as a treat instead of a bag of the mini sized ones. I have a habit that leaves me with the munchies very very regularly but if I don't keep the crappy food in the house I can't eat too much of it.

I should have mentioned that my wife was doing weight watchers and while I never went to the meetings or counted points I did eat a "weight watchers" dinner most nights. The WW cook books are great and beyond tasty food you will start to see some very simple ways to turn good tasting food into good for you food. A perfect example is a recent dinner my wife and I made, it was a pasta dish by Emeril Lagaese and while looking at the ingredients that called for heavy cream for the sauce I substitued 1/2 & 1/2 with no change to the taste but a significant reduction to the calories and fat content.

I was very resistent to changing my habits when my wife started WW but now I can't understand why turkey sausage doesn't outsell pork. I won't try to convince people a turkey brat is the same as a regular Johnsonville, that's one thing I won't go skinny on. But forget hamburger helper, it's ground turkey helper from here on out, and that home made pizza I love, yeah that's italian turkey sausage now too.

When you make lots of small changes it's almost impossible to not have big results.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
www.bodyforlife.com for a good fairly simple "diet" plan

also take a look at www.johnstonefitness.com on the forum in the beginner section... for food intake figure out your BMR (basal metabolic rate) which is basically figuring out aprox how many calories your body burns just sitting on your arse + the calories you burn during extra activities... figure out how much weight you want to loose how quickly (1lb = 3500 calories) and subtract that many calories (or burn off that many more) and boom you drop weight...

also figure that muscle mass weighs more then fat... so depending on your workout you can loose fat but still gain weight... :)

seriously take a look at those links... JSF has SO much info it'll make your head spin...

I finaly got my weight machine back and setup (been moving around) and am looking forward to getting back into the swing of my work out

·
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The GF got me to pull the trigger this morning. Signed up for weight watchers online.....calculated my daily points...and quick burned thru 1/3 of them with breakfast...damn, this is gonna be hard.
Gonna spend this week eating what I want just to see what kind of freakish points number I end up consuming, then start for real over the weekend.

See you on the skinny side....

·
Registered
236 Posts
weight watchers is a good plan. its not hard to follow, and it works.
Basically just teaches you to eat the right foods, and you get bonus points every week to use when you just gotta have that extra slice of pizza. ;)
you can also earn extra points by exerciseing.
if you eat the right foods, you can really pig out and still be within your points.
they have a weight watchers for men that you can enroll in online. no meetings or anything, just check in on the website.

i recommend it.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
WW is primarily a portion control system right?

thats the one thing I regret about with my 1st roll (well 1/2 roll) at body for life... the diet is a big thing and it's done on portion control based on real life measurements (fist sized, palm sized ect measurements) I went with weights and measurements which screwed me when i didn't have those things around

·
Registered
165 Posts
Weight Watchers is about portions as well as eating the right foods. Each food has a point value. You quickly learn what you can eat more of for the same points as something bad. If you are determined to stick to the program, it WILL work. I joined about 4 months ago. I have lost 40 pounds.

·
Registered
316 Posts
FatCorey said:
Weight Watchers is about portions as well as eating the right foods. Each food has a point value. You quickly learn what you can eat more of for the same points as something bad. If you are determined to stick to the program, it WILL work. I joined about 4 months ago. I have lost 40 pounds.
That is great to hear, good job. I just signed up for WW as well.
I am now up to 205 from 180 last year. I have been injured for almost the entire year. I went from broken hand to broken ankle and toes to broken tailbone to another concussion to crap knee to 3 months of TERRIBLE headaches, nausea, blurred vision, etc.
I have done nothing but eat and sit.
I really want to get back to 175. That is the weight that I was 2 years ago when I came home from Iraq. I need to get into shape for the 09 DH season.
Thanks for the inspiration and for the links.

·
Registered
236 Posts
FatCorey said:
right on. once you figure out the point value, you can still eat big meals and loose weight.
me for example, i eat out alot.
lunch would be something like :
mcdonalds double cheese burger = 10 points
-or-
mcdonalds bacon ranch salad with grilled chicken, and fruit yogurt parfait = 11 points

Diet soda = 0 points :)

·
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So is it wrong that on my first day of weight watchers (yesterday) I consumed 98.5 points worth of food and drink? True story, not making it up.

Okay, admittedly my GF and I ordered a pizza as a last hurrah before we fully commit, and I threw down a few brews with it....okay, not our last hurrah, tonight and tomorrow will also be a little out of hand..but by the weekend, we should be cool!!

Note: I biked to/from the office yesterday, 3+ hours rounds trip....exactly doubled my available points for the day...that is good inspiration for me to keep bike commuting!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
my wife is using the online version of weight watchers, and i was very impressed with how they don't just mandate that you eat the foods they sell. they had a huge variety of common meals online, and they also have some decent recipe's as suggestions. they also take into account activity in a pretty detailed way.

she lost about 6 lbs pretty quickly (and she's wee little), and i think i was losing some as well do to eating a pretty similar diet as her. i think the biggest thing it does for the long term is training you to eat less. i.e. we've both been eating less due to it and even during holiday gluttony, i found that i just feel full way earlier, and it's a little uncomfortable to keep eating.

i might start using it myself. the ligther i am the better my re-rebuilt knees feel and the more active i can be. also, i get really tired of eating the same thing all the time, so just having a big list of suggestions/recipe helps me stay motivated.

Mike

·
Registered
236 Posts
TheMeatZone said:
its a good thing you went with weight watchers
nutrisystems meals taste terrible and their dessert or snack bars taste like cardboard
my sister in law gave me a garbage bag full of the stuff
most of it stayed in that bag
thats how that diet works, the food is so crappy you just rather not eat, then you loose weight :thumbsup:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I also use the online WW and I really enjoy it. I like that I can see exactly what I eat and what how bad some of the things are. It has really kept me in check.
I do all of my own recipes with a few of theirs thrown it.
I have lost 5 pounds in one week mainly just from less, healthier food.
Great program so far.

·
Registered
165 Posts
WW, the online version, is great. I echo the previous comments about portion control and making better choices. The downside is you can skip a meal and replace it with a small hot fudge sunday. You do get extra points for exercise, which is good.

Someone above posted a link for Body For Life. After I plateaued on WW, I started BFL. I like the recommended workouts, and small amount of time they take, and one day per week built into the program to eat your favorite foods without being guilty or having a set back.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.