1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
pedals, wheels, saddle, cranks, fork.... there are lots of places to save weight on your bike, all is going to depend on how much you are willing to spend.... you can check the "post your lt2" thread to take some ideas...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah those pedals are pigs (I've got a set). Wheels are alway s agood place to trim some weight, but it's a fine line before you end up with wimpy/flexy wheels. You could probably go to a Fox 32 depending on your riding

·
Registered
87 Posts
or a fixed travel float 36 would be lighter without the the talas gubbins. Drop the outer ring and put on a bashguard instead, and get xt or xtr cranks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Wheelset : Crossmax ST or SX
Pedals : Syncros Traverse AM
Cranks : XT
Fork : RS Revelation 150 XX maxle
Brakes : Avid Elixir CR Carbon 180/160
Tires : Maxxis Ardent 2.25 ghetto tubeless
This however, will cost you a load of money but it will be a lot lighter

·
Hail Satin!
248 Posts
If you want a non weight weenies advice(BLT1 29-ish #s) Do get some lighter wheels and tires. Ride bike and see if it feels lighter (it will) but don't put it on a scale.
But there are a billion and a half ways to lighten a bike on the scale. But I like to think about how the bike rides.
Lightweight forks and seat and bars are all find and dandy. Until something snaps when you are riding.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Good question about the weight savings. Does dropping 1 or 2 lbs. really make a difference? The only time I noticed a difference is when I dropped 5 lbs off the bike. Then I really wasn't that happy with it. Light as hell, felt faster under my feet, but performance side, really wasn't that impressive. Big difference is that I used lighter tires which meant lower profile knobs with small diameter, didn't grip as well. Any similar experiences?

·
Registered
651 Posts
chewymilk99 said:
If you want a non weight weenies advice(BLT1 29-ish #s) Do get some lighter wheels and tires. Ride bike and see if it feels lighter (it will) but don't put it on a scale.
But there are a billion and a half ways to lighten a bike on the scale. But I like to think about how the bike rides.
Lightweight forks and seat and bars are all find and dandy. Until something snaps when you are riding.
It really is about how it rides. There's no doubt that you could shave some weight from that beast without sacrificing much on performance and durability. "How do you use it?" should be the first question you ask yourself.
Wheel and tires are an obvious place where you can make a big difference in weight and performance, though like a previous poster stated, you don't want to go so far that you end up with flexy, weak wheels. Seatpost, stem, bars, pedals and saddle are usually less pricey ways to shed some weight without performance sacrifices, as long as you are intelligent about it. An XTR crankset would shed weight and increase stiffness in your case. You have many options. Figure out where you'll get the most bang for your buck.

·
Registered
651 Posts
25lbs&counting said:
Good question about the weight savings. Does dropping 1 or 2 lbs. really make a difference? The only time I noticed a difference is when I dropped 5 lbs off the bike. Then I really wasn't that happy with it. Light as hell, felt faster under my feet, but performance side, really wasn't that impressive. Big difference is that I used lighter tires which meant lower profile knobs with small diameter, didn't grip as well. Any similar experiences?
5 lbs is a lot to shave from a bike. You essentially have a different bike when you do this, better suited for a different kind of riding.
I think 2 lbs is a pretty big drop, one that's noticable, especially if it's on a bike that's already around 30lbs or less. A 2lb drop is also less likely to change the riding experience as far as what it can handle, as long as you're not going from a 2.3" tire down to semi-slick 1.9" with a thin casing.
Tires are a greater determiner of your experience on a bike than almost any other component. I'd feel better riding rigid on fat tires than I would suspended on skinnies. If you're going to shed weight on your tires, be mindful of what you want the bike to do.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
are you sure you need to shed weight on the bike? If you are looking to just get faster then just changing your tires to something with less rolling resistance will help (as well as lose some weight).

Friend of mine just changed from a Kenda Nevegal wire bead (i think that is what you have) to a lighter easier rolling tire (sorry cannot remember of top of my head) and lost a bit over 1 pound off bike.

·
Registered
381 Posts
A load of weight can be shed on the transmission.

LX Cassette to XT 441g to 250g - after wheelset/tyres this is the biggest noticable differance IMO.
HG 73 chain to KMC X9SL 300g to 265g
LX cranks to SLX & Chainrings to XT : 907g to sub 850g

total: more than 293g - 3/4 of a pound

SLX crank arms are lighter than XT. Use XT chain rings and you have a chainset between XT and XTR. You can get a lot ligher if you spend the cash...obviously.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the responses. im working on building a wheelset...
Mavic 819 Rims - 930 grams
DT Swiss Comp spokes - 370 grams (front and back combined weight)
XT M776 Front Hub - 235 grams
XT M756 Disc Hub - 302 grams

Total weight - 1837 grams - About 4 pounds

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
If you have access to them , get Hope Pro II hubs instead of the Shimano's, Hope's are light, reliable, and rebuildable...great combo with Mavic 819 rims...
thanks for all the responses. im working on building a wheelset...
Mavic 819 Rims - 930 grams
DT Swiss Comp spokes - 370 grams (front and back combined weight)
XT M776 Front Hub - 235 grams
XT M756 Disc Hub - 302 grams

Total weight - 1837 grams - About 4 pounds

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
After wheels...

I would consider a carbon post and bar.
Obvious weight savings, but also improved ride quality. The carbon absorbs vibration and makes it more comfortable. Takes the edge off trail chatter your tires and suspension do not
absorb.

It's durable...you just have to be careful overtightening it.

You can find killer deals online, esp. w/ Jenson.

I think it's best to upgrade not just for weight's sake, but if it's lighter AND you get a performance improvement.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I think you should drop weight from the:
saddle (Specialized Phenom SL)
stem (Syntace F99)
bars (Easton Monkeylite XC)
pedals (XT or XTR)
wheels (AmClassic, 14/15g w/alloy nips, NoTubes Flow tubeless)
grips (Titec foam)
crank FSA K-Force Lite
chainrings (extralite)
chain (KMC X9 SL)
seatpost clamp (Woodman Deathgrip SL)
Then add some weight back with a KS i950 3" post (5" if you run your seat higher than pictured).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts