Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Howell, MI
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figure you are the guy's to ask for ideas on how to further lighten my bike. 25lbs with the Michelins 24.5 With the Conti's

Specialized S-Works Epic Med

Grips Titec Pork Rinds
Bars Easton EC90
Stem Ritchey WCS
Fork SID world cup carbon
Brakes Hope Mono mini
Shifters XTR
Headset Chris King
Post clamp Hope (non QR)
Post Thomson Elite Tuned to 202g
Saddle Fizik Aliante carbon
Crankset 05 XTR
Cassette 11-34 XTR
Chain Dura-Ace
Front der XTR
Rear der XTR
Cables Avid flack jacket
Wheels 03' Crossmax (bladed spokes)
Skewers Ti
Pedals Twin Ti Eggbeaters With Ti spindle upgrade
Tires Cont Explorer Protection With Stan's or Michelin
Comp S light UST
 

·
Alright, let's ride!
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
Very nice build. How much are you willing to spend to lighten it up? Without spending a fortune I would just get some bolt-on skewers and maybe a new saddle. Also possibly go from the Explorer Protections to some Kenda Karma DTC's. I made that change and I have been very happy.

There is still some weight to lose but it won't be cheap.
 

·
SUBLIM8er
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Lots you can do. What's you're budget? how much weight are you looking to shed? Can you run Vs on that frame?
 

·
Howell, MI
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Axis II said:
Lots you can do. What's you're budget? how much weight are you looking to shed? Can you run Vs on that frame?
I could sell what I replaced on Ebay. It is all in great condition. That should help the cause. To answer your question; I have not come up with a budget. Off the cuff let's say $400 plus what I sell.
I am not however going back to V brakes. I'll pay the weight penalty.
 

·
SUBLIM8er
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
fsr1 said:
I figure you are the guy's to ask for ideas on how to further lighten my bike. 25lbs with the Michelins 24.5 With the Conti's

OK, take 'em or leave 'em:

Specialized S-Works Epic Med

Grips Titec Pork Rinds
Keep
Bars Easton EC90
Keep
Stem Ritchey WCS
Could go with the Syntace for a few grams saving
Fork SID world cup carbon
Keep
Brakes Hope Mono mini
Go V's ;)
If not, Avid Mechanicals
Shifters XTR
SRAM Rockets
Headset Chris King
Extralite Freehead
Post clamp Hope (non QR)
Extralite "the clamp"
Post Thomson Elite Tuned to 202g
USE Alien carbon or Extralite post
Saddle Fizik Aliante carbon
Selle Italia SLR
Crankset 05 XTR
Keep?
Cassette 11-34 XTR
DA 12/27
Chain Dura-Ace
Hollow pin
Front der XTR
Keep?
Rear der XTR
DA
Cables Avid flack jacket
Nokon
Wheels 03' Crossmax (bladed spokes)
Take your pick of lighter wheel builds
My pick: AC hubs or DT Swiss w/Stans Olympic rims
Skewers Ti
Keep
Pedals Twin Ti Eggbeaters With Ti spindle upgrade
Keep
Tires Cont Explorer Protection With Stan's or Michelin
Comp S light UST
Schwalbe RR 2.1 front/ Twister SS rear

There you go. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Cheap Savings:

Cheap Savings:

Drive TrainI am presuming you come from a very hilly area if you are running 3 rings on the front and a 11/34 cassette. This leaves room to be changed a little if thats not the case. You could run 2x9 using the 11/34 cassette or 3x9 using a 12/27 cassette. In both cases your are set to save atleast 30g for the 2x9 setup- or about 50g for the 3x9 setup.

Stem Syntace F99, available in loads of lengths and I hear they are quiet stiff also. The look nice in all black also- it will save about 30g over you WCS stem (presuming it is WCS not WCS V3)

Tyres: Kenda Karma DTC, Schwalbe Racing Ralf or Knoby Nic, Conti's Explorer SS etc... There are many lighterweight options out there that will do the job; if you are runnnig sealent in your tyres there is no real need for the extra protection in my opinion. I ran Hutchinson Python Airlights tubeless for about a year with no flats- and Kenda Karma DTC's for 6months before flatting, which was rider error anyways.

The Karam's are about 480g, and the Conti Explorer SS's are about 440g - both are light and proven to be relaible. The Schwalbes are more of a racing tyre, I haven't had the chance to try them out though.

Theres about a few savings- there is many more you could do- changing wheels to a lighter weight normal rim / rimstrip combination would probably yeild the most weight loss. But ti would be expencive.
 

·
ballbuster
Joined
·
12,718 Posts
What year?

I head the '03 Epics were 6.5 lb frames! prolly that goofy brain shock business with the brass weight and all. Any other light fully frame is around 5.5 lbs or less. The newer ones are lighter. Prolly once they figured out where they can shave weight.

You may be able to shed some grams with a stans/hope/CK wheelset. The crossmax wheels are a tad portly... but not too much. You won't save a ton of weight there.

Other that that, I think you are doing pretty well for a fully bike with disc brakes.
 

·
Howell, MI
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
CulBaire said:
Cheap Savings:

Drive TrainI am presuming you come from a very hilly area if you are running 3 rings on the front and a 11/34 cassette. This leaves room to be changed a little if thats not the case. You could run 2x9 using the 11/34 cassette or 3x9 using a 12/27 cassette. In both cases your are set to save atleast 30g for the 2x9 setup- or about 50g for the 3x9 setup.

Stem Syntace F99, available in loads of lengths and I hear they are quiet stiff also. The look nice in all black also- it will save about 30g over you WCS stem (presuming it is WCS not WCS V3)

Tyres: Kenda Karma DTC, Schwalbe Racing Ralf or Knoby Nic, Conti's Explorer SS etc... There are many lighterweight options out there that will do the job; if you are runnnig sealent in your tyres there is no real need for the extra protection in my opinion. I ran Hutchinson Python Airlights tubeless for about a year with no flats- and Kenda Karma DTC's for 6months before flatting, which was rider error anyways.

The Karam's are about 480g, and the Conti Explorer SS's are about 440g - both are light and proven to be relaible. The Schwalbes are more of a racing tyre, I haven't had the chance to try them out though.

Theres about a few savings- there is many more you could do- changing wheels to a lighter weight normal rim / rimstrip combination would probably yeild the most weight loss. But ti would be expencive.
New WCS 90mm with tuned bolts 99g Granny gear should have been a no brainer. "I never use it."
 

·
Howell, MI
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pimpbot said:
I head the '03 Epics were 6.5 lb frames! prolly that goofy brain shock business with the brass weight and all. Any other light fully frame is around 5.5 lbs or less. The newer ones are lighter. Prolly once they figured out where they can shave weight.

You may be able to shed some grams with a stans/hope/CK wheelset. The crossmax wheels are a tad portly... but not too much. You won't save a ton of weight there.

Other that that, I think you are doing pretty well for a fully bike with disc brakes.
I got it as a warranty replacement for my 02' S-Works FSR. Wasn't sold on the brain shock either, but Man! I'm sold now. Perfect for the terrain in my area.

The frame is a European 04' model with an 05 shock. Apparently some trouble with the older shocks
 

·
Howell, MI
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before starting this thread I thought I could loose in the following areas. Also what I thought would be a good replacement.

Wheels Crossmax SL May not be the lightest, but I'm quite smitten with there looks.
Rotors Hope 2pc rotors
Seatpost Easton EC90 zero offset, or use Alien
Tires Torn here! I love the Idea of Conti Twister supersonic @ the rear with Explorer SS up front run with no tubes and stans, but I ran Python Airlights that way and promptly blew the sidewall out. Did not enjoy the experience. Possibly bad luck? I am not prone to flats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
Your frame 03 ? in around 2780 grams ~ 6.1 + lbs , you can get the 05 or 06 brain with the mag rod etc that will save approx. 50 plus grams and perform better,

wheels Stans olympics DT Hugin 240's revos or sapim CX Ray spoke at 1410 gram with valve stems and the yellow tape ready to go this will save you 150 grams over your crossmax 770 g front and 915 rear = 1685 grams

Magura Martas SL 's with stan alum rotors mine weigh 290 g front and 302 rear this should save around 100 grams over the mini's

Conti SS explorers and twister 100 grams

my thomson masterpeice 330 x 27.2 @ 190 gram not the lightest but set it an forget it!
20-30 grams over youer elite

so this is 450 grams or 1 Lb and good start!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
IS it a "Race" bike or trail / general riding?

If it's a race bike, lighter wheelset might be benificial- there is certaily alot of weight to be saved there over the older Crossmax XL's.

Also- Are you running standard quick reliease? Bolt on skewers will save you about 50g. :)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top