Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into either a 2006 Switch of Slayer. I am used to a semi heavy bike at 32 lbs. But have not be able to find weights for the Switch or the Slayer online beyond just the frame weights.

Any real world estimate of each would help. I would also be getting either the Switch S1 or Slayer 30 if the components of the different models would have any impact on weight.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I've got a 2005 Switch SL frame that I built up myself that weighs about 34.5lbs which is about as light as I'd want to build a Switch. It'd got the beef where you need it (ie. Diabolus cranks, stem, bars and MTX Rims) but it's light where I can afford it (tubeless, airshock, Z1 FR1 fork).

For 2005 I think the Stock Switch's were about 40lbs and the SL's closer to 35. For 2006 RM went with a pretty beefy spec so I doubt a 2006 Switch is under 40.

For comparison, a slayer is about 34lbs I believe. However, most of this different comes from the components because the frames are only about 2lbs different. I was gonna suggest you try and get a Switch frame built up with the Slayer components but realistically, the Slayer is quite a strong frame and the difference between 6" and 7" of travel is minor so just go with the Slayer and save the hassle and a few pounds. Unless you think you might snap the Slayer then go with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Either a Slayer or building my own Switch

Thanks for the weight comparison. I think a stock Switch may be too heavy for the kind of ridding I want to do (long all mountain trips) and building up a lighter Switch is far too expensive compared to the cost of the low end S1 and a Slayer 30.

What size drops have any you of done on a Slayer?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I haven't ridden the new Slayers but I used to have a 2001 Edge which was just a lower spec'd Slayer back then. I upped the coil spring to a 900 and I did several 7 footers to flat and numerous 4-6 drops the flat but I was bending/breaking the shock bolts frequently. The frame held up perfectly though. I've since sold that and I went to a HT and now a 2005 Switch SL which I've taken up to 6 foot drops to flat and about 10 to tranny.

I imagine the new Slayers are stronger than my old edge (which only had 4.75" in the rear) and you could probably drop 5-6 feet to flat regularly as long as your style is okay. You could go quite a bit bigger to tranny but it's tough to say how big because it all depends on the tranny and on your skill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.