Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys- any ideas on my bike? I'm not trying to go SUPERlight but would love some feedback...am I missing a huge weightloss area on this?

2006 Gary Fisher Cake3 (17.5")
Manitou Axel elite fork
Manitou Radium R shock
FSA xc300 wheelset
Kenda Nevegals, 2.1 dtc, stans
Avid BB7s with 160 rotors
Bontrager Sport cranks 22-32(stock) minus big ring, bbg ultralite bashguard
eggbeater pedals
Sram pg970 cassette
Sram x.9 rear deraill
Shimano Deore (stock) front deraill
Sram x.9 pod shifters
Thomson layback seatpost
Hope non qr seatclamp
Specialized phenom saddle
Sette edge OS stem, 90mm
Easton carbon flat bar (can't remember name)
Salsa Juegos de Fuego grips
Cables-nothing special

I've trimmed the seatpost and fork tube, nylon fasteners in bottle cage holes...

My next change= Conti mtn kings 2.2 supersonic and maybe a RS Reba. Thats close to 400g for the tires and 250 for the fork. Thanks a lot- some great ideas on this forum!

·
Super Moderator
6,803 Posts
How much does your bike weigh, now? I would ditch that boat anchor Manitou fork, desk paperweight cassette, and maybe get SRAM X9 or X0 twisters.

Get Rock Shox SID - for the lightest fork. You will drop almost a full pound, on that alone. As for tires- try Specialized S-Works The Captain......excellent grip, at only 550g each. Plus they are tubeless ready!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hi

I have a 2006 Cake too! 19.5" Team issue one.

I've got mine sitting pritty at 22.8lbs at the momment. Plan to have it sub 22lb come the new year!

the biggest place to save weight with yours will be the fork, wheels, cranks first.

How big is your budget ? How light do you want it?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Swap the 970 cassette for a 990. If your cassette is 11-34T, a 11-32 will save you extra. Also, think about going 1x9 if your terrain and riding will allow it. I did and this combo saved me close to a pound.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Glynis27 said:
Swap the 970 cassette for a 990. If your cassette is 11-34T, a 11-32 will save you extra. Also, think about going 1x9 if your terrain and riding will allow it. I did and this combo saved me close to a pound.
990 11-32 - 275 g (970 11-34 is 410g, frigging boat anchor)
Shimano XT 11-32 - 256g, and it shifts better.

SLX double with an XT granny ring also may save some weight (and 22-36 is more usable then 22-32), no idea what OEM Bontrager weights like.

·
Weight Weenie Addict!
255 Posts
Wheels and fork will give you the most bang for your buck...I have added a few other.
My recommendations:

Manitou Axel elite fork...How About RS? Or Maybe a Magura Durin?
Manitou Radium R shock...Fox rp23 or RS Monarch?
FSA xc300 wheelset....various options here but take a look at Stan's NoTubes wheels.
Kenda Nevegals, 2.1 dtc, stans
Avid BB7s with 160 rotors...change to Formula R1 or Magura Marta SL Mag
Bontrager Sport cranks 22-32(stock) minus big ring, bbg ultralite bashguard
eggbeater pedals
Sram pg970 cassette...change to XTR or Recon Ti
Sram x.9 rear deraill...change to XTR
Shimano Deore (stock) front deraill....change to XTR
Sram x.9 pod shifters
Thomson layback seatpost
Hope non qr seatclamp
Specialized phenom saddle
Sette edge OS stem, 90mm....Syntace???
Easton carbon flat bar (can't remember name)
Salsa Juegos de Fuego grips...change to Extralite or Titec Foam
Cables-nothing special...change to i-Links (or if you can i-Links with PowerCordz)

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
changing your front derailuer to xtr wont save you much if anything at all, (2 x 9 and a road derailuer will) try to get a weight on your cranks, and maybe look at some XTs, or reaseach other light options, and rear shock wont save much weight either, unless you go to a dt swiss, but a rp 23 will probably perform better

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody- great ideas. I'm going to focus on the fork (or saving for the fork), xt cassette (I had no idea mine was so heavy) and then cranks. I'll weigh it eventually and post pics, but right now pics wouldn't be worth the space on here!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Zachariah said:
Specialized S-Works The Captain......excellent grip, at only 550g each. Plus they are tubeless ready!
Awesome tire...I run them. Best grip I have ridden yet. I will probably be racing them next season...

Mine weighed in at 520 and 520...seems really consistent on Specialized's part.

For dropping weight off your build, you need to loose those tires. They may have good grip, but they are like 800g a piece. The fork you are running is also pretty heavy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would definitely go with some of the suggestions above and I have some also.

Tires - Crossmarks UST
Fork - Reba or Fox F100rlc
Wheels - Stan's olympic rims on your choice of light hubs (American Classic /WTB /DT240's/Hope) FSA=1795gm w/o skewers, you could get down to 1450gms easily
Cassette - pg990

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.