Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a Senior in High School I weighed 250. I went on Adderall for ADD and totally lost my appetite. I lost 40 pounds between Novemeber and June, then lost another 10 between June and Spetemebr. I was probably getting less the 1250 calories, but was never starving myself in the sense that I denied myself food when I felt hungary. I never felt hungary. It was a known side effect of the drugs, but the doc seemed ok with the weightloss because I needed, and I fibbed a little about how much I was eating. :aureola: When I started College I hit a low of 197. in pictures I was skinny and goofy looking because of my long arms and legs and bulbous head. I'm 6'1" and muscular. When I went off the meds I gradually went back up, YoYoing for the last couple years between 235 and 265. This year I have totally committed myself to getting healthier (hopefully the added incentive of being there for my new kid will help it stick)

So I've started Weight Watchers and even though I am only entering my second week, I feel like this is a perfect fit for me. Which I have never felt before when dieting. Plus the baby factor has me really motivated.

My questions arises because of this, Weight Watches suggests a weight between 154 and 182 pounds. Knowing how I was when I weighted 197 and what it took to get there I think that is absolutely insane. I had to starve myselft to maintain that weight, and I easily have 10 pounds more in muscle then I did then. My Current Goal is 220. Should I stick with that and get a float test done when I reach it to see what my %Body fat is when I get there? Or is that two high. I feel it's an easy goal to reach and maintain, and would love to get lighter, but I just can see me being helathy and getting below the double century mark.

As an aside, I was 267.5 on Christmas Day and am down to 258.5 as of yesterday morning.

·
Gus, just Gus.
147 Posts
Great start! I woudln't worry as much about the exact number for your goal and just keep at the program and get healthier. I think realistically someone who is 6'1" with a muscular build shouldn't go below about 195lbs. If you had a slight build, then maybe 180ish... but 195 sounds right to me for your height.

I am working on something very similar. My wife just had our baby girl in september and I had gained some weight while she was pregnant. Mostly because I stopped riding, but also because when she had cravings, I ate with her sometimes... snack foods at 2am DO NOT = HEALTHY! hahaha! I am up to 240 (from 210 a year ago) and I am 6'0". I am working at getting back to my recommended weight of 190 (I also have a muscular build). Good luck and hang in there. I am sure with a good plan and motivation you can get there!

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,986 Posts
set the goal weight to what you think it should be.......my goal is 195 to 200 but they say 165....I don't ever want to weigh 165

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
IIRC- weightwatchers (& many others) use the BMI scale, which is also waay off on me, even when I was at pretty low body fat ('thick boned', not average body porportions & decent muscle mass). It is meant to be used as a simple means of classifying sedentary people with an average body composition.

So, don't sweat being over, it's just a guideline & use whatever goal you think works for you to keep you in good shape and not 'obese'.

oh yeah, decent link to BMI --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

·
Registered
317 Posts
The whole BMI thing can be really skewed. Most of your professional athletes would get rated as "obese" based on BMI scales. When I started working on losing weight, I first just started working on habits... cutting down portions, replacing dessert with something like fruit or just an 8oz glass of chocolate soy milk, and exercising on a regular basis. The weight started coming down on its own. When I started, I was 265. I'm 225 now and rather than setting a hard and fast weight based on charts, I'm basically going step by step. My next goal will be to hit 220 consistently (I can vary by 5lbs depending on how much water I've drank, what's sitting in my stomach at the time, etc.). Once I manage that, then 215... then 210.. then 200. I'll just keep going down about 5 at a time until it looks like I've hit a healthy weight.

·
Gus, just Gus.
147 Posts
Dude, you need to diet! j/k!!! ;)

BMI is horrible at "evaluating" a persons health and weight. It is practically worthless in all applications.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
ZenZhu said:
The whole BMI thing can be really skewed. Most of your professional athletes would get rated as "obese" based on BMI scales.
Most?

Really?

Not most professional soccer players.
Not most professional basketball players.
Not most professional cyclists.
Not most professsional equestrians/jockeys.
Not most professional triathletes.
Not most professional tennis players.
Not most professional XC Nordic ski racers.
Not most professional Cricketers.

Were you speaking of American Football players and the sluggers in baseball? There are a lot more professional athletes in the world........:D

·
Registered
317 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Most?

Really?

Not most professional soccer players.
Not most professional basketball players.
Not most professional cyclists.
Not most professsional equestrians/jockeys.
Not most professional triathletes.
Not most professional tennis players.
Not most professional XC Nordic ski racers.
Not most professional Cricketers.

Were you speaking of American Football players and the sluggers in baseball? There are a lot more professional athletes in the world........:D
I was speaking of anyone that might come to mind as a participant in whatever sport one might think of that is fit and healthy yet would still be ranked as obese by a BMI scale. :rolleyes:

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
cricketer? :lol: that's the first time i've heard that term. where i'm from, a cricketer would be someone that sells crickets for trout fishin'. ;)

i'm not sure what my goal weight is. my current goal is to be 220 by june. i'm at 248 now. i started at 359 about a year ago.

the bmi scale says i should be at 185. dunno....but i want more muscle mass than that. i'm thinking maybe 205-210 area should be final weight....but i want to get to 220 and reassess from there.

·
clyde in training
1,917 Posts
BMI testing is not bad at all, it is actually very good. The means of the calculation is what can be bad. If you do a BMI test by being fully submerged in water, then it can very accurately measure your body fat. It is the equation using your height and weight that is garbage. Realistically my BMI is about 8-10%, according to the height to weight equation, I am an obese turd.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I know if I shoot for the guvment nos. I'm screwed. Keep to your current goal...get there and then decide next move. Wife is doing WW and I am easing into it...much better idea than cutting our carbs or eating one type of food, etc.. which is a quick fix when most of us clydes need a lifestyle change.

·
Registered
190 Posts
rafdog said:
I know if I shoot for the guvment nos. I'm screwed.
After graduating from college (too many years ago) I walked into a US Navy recruiting office to discuss a career as a naval officer. At the time I was 6'3", 205 lbs. and just below 7% bodyfat. I was a varsity athlete all four years in college.

I stepped on the scale to do the height/weight thing and the recruiting officer told me I was overweight by US military standards. He suggested I go lose the required 15 lbs. and come back sometime later. I asked him confidently if I could just race him around the block or challenge him to a push-up shootout, but he wasn't amused and didn't take the bait.

I walked out of that recruitment office, got an MBA, and couldn't be happier to be a clyde all these years later.

·
Registered
190 Posts
jgsatl said:
my current goal is to be 220 by june. i'm at 248 now. i started at 359 about a year ago.

the bmi scale says i should be at 185. dunno....but i want more muscle mass than that. i'm thinking maybe 205-210 area should be final weight....but i want to get to 220 and reassess from there.
First of all, WAY TO GO on losing 111 lbs. That's an awesome accomplishment. Best of luck on the next 30, we're all pulling for you.

Second, I've always tried to follow a very subjective measure of what my ideal weight should be: how my favorite clothes fit. If you want to weight train some and that means you stay over 200, then more power to ya. Just make sure you don't do what I've done so often in past which is justify not laying down miles (on dirt or on pavement) because you did a couple of extra anaerobic hours in the gym that week.

My New Year's Resolution is 2x my resting heart rate in miles each week. I've been pulling it off so far by commuting 18 miles each way to work. So far so good...

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
good job to you as well!

my doctor has a fancy scale which spits out a 'receipt' of my body fat%, muscle mass%, etc. i don't know how accurate it is from time to time, but if i follow the trend, it does show fat loss and muscle gain (i can see and feel my muscles getting a bit bigger).

i'd really like to continue building muscle as i'm going to have a lot of skin to fill, but i'm wondering if i can speed up my muscle building and continue to lose fat. anyone have a program like that they recommend??

·
CEO Product Failure
1,733 Posts
DHD, self improvement is masturbation. A year ago I was 318, then over last summer as low as 252, then around turkey day back around 270's. Started training again, eating right excercising hard 3 times a week for 2-3 hours, and a long-slow-road ride on Sundays. Floating in the 240's right now. People are really starting to notice, I've been hiding behind a throat beard since Thanksgiving so I've tried to hide.

I say if you find something that works for you, good onya! I would only train/diet if it meant some kind of physical performance improvement. To some extent, I don't care what people think of my looks. I use SouthBeach as a diet and my workouts are mostly MMA training (muay thai & boxing).

The kid's gonna be perceived as a substantial drain on your free time. This is just a perception; you will have plenty of opptys to ride and train while he sleeps/naps. Don't cheat yourself and go off the diet for a cheesesteak either.

-B

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks binge, It's really out of performance that I want to get lighter, I used to be a goat on steep technical climbs. I had the power and the skill to clean some nasty stuff.

Plus I don't float to well on my sirfboard so being lighter would help there as well.

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
scottyperkins said:
After graduating from college (too many years ago) I walked into a US Navy recruiting office to discuss a career as a naval officer. At the time I was 6'3", 205 lbs. and just below 7% bodyfat. I was a varsity athlete all four years in college.

I stepped on the scale to do the height/weight thing and the recruiting officer told me I was overweight by US military standards. He suggested I go lose the required 15 lbs. and come back sometime later. I asked him confidently if I could just race him around the block or challenge him to a push-up shootout, but he wasn't amused and didn't take the bait. QUOTE]

Funny, not to go off topic. But the same thing happened to me with the Canadian Forces. I was 6'1 and 205lbs and in the best shape of my life(i was also 19 then). I was running/working out every day, so i was pretty fit. Passed all the fitness requirements with flying colours, but they wanted me to weigh(at the very least)179lbs for basic training. Nope....I can't do it and walked out. The officer that tested me totally agreed with me. CLYDESDALE for life.......i guess.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
You could be 180lbs, relatively skinny, and be in worse health than a guy @ 210lbs and plump if you look at the cholesterol levels and indicators of what is going on inside the person's system.

My highest weight was 245lbs back in 1998. It was then I decided I had to do something because my weight was inching up and up and my pants size was going right up along for the ride.

I ate horribly and drank 8 sodas a day. I was the epitomy of a bad habit person minus the drugs and alcohol.

I started by cutting off the soda. Started to drink water and I tell ya I lost 38 lbs in short time from doing that by itself. Then I made diet changes and got down to like 173lbs in 2000. Then I got married and the weight crawled up to 205. Started my exercise back up and eating rigth and now I am at 182lbs.

My cholesterol was in limits total wise but my good cholesterol was way too low back in June 2006. Since then, I have ridden 650 miles on my bike and have eaten right (oatmeal every morning, staying away from crap food and such) and my cholesterol levels just 2 weeks ago were alot better.

Basically, to make a long story short, if you can tame the mind tiger, you will find the rest of the battle a whole heck of a lot easier. Conquering the mind is the hardest part of the fight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts