Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Fisher does not communicate weight but I was curious for it and started looking for it on forums. I got my Paragon 29'er today and as they finished the parts on it, I asked them to weigh it right away.

I took Shimano PD 540 pedals as I first need better shoes if I want to go Crank Bros..
I got a nice surprise, the Paragon came with Rocket Ron's of Schwalbe instead of Bontrager stock tires. This is due to a shortage of own tyres.. So they had to go mount others at Trek! This is a 55 euro tyre in the NL ($70 a piece).

All together with these tyres, pedals, a 48 grams bottle holder and chain protection it came to 11.95 Kilo's which is 26.3 pounds. (a pound is 453.8 grams)

I will look for some weight savings in the coming year but first ride it :)

It is a 17.5 inch frame btw.

What are your paragon specs and weight?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for posting weight information on your Paragon. I had tried to find a weight a couple weeks ago without too much luck.

My shop just ordered a Paragon for me. Based on the online warehouse inventories they thought I would have the bike within several days. Now they learned the bike will be coming from the California warehouse and may take 1 to 2 weeks to arrive. Oh yes, the same inventory situation as last year is happening.

I'm curious to see what tires are installed on my Paragon.

Once I receive the bike I will weigh it and post my finding. Mine is going to be a 19" frame.

Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike is really sweet Thomas, I runs so light and keeps indeed rolling.. I have to get used a bit to the 'bend' handlebars and think about a QR for my seatpost, because getting of and use a tool to lower the it quickly when going downhill or downwards..

·
Registered
10 Posts
My shop ordered my Paragon yesterday morning and said it was coming from California as well and it would be here Friday. I sure hope so. I'm curious about what tires show up on mine too. Mine is a 17.5" frame. Good to know the weight. Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Due to frame changes, my information may not help you but I'll post it anyway. My 2009 Paragon, as shipped from the factory in size L (19") was right at 26 lbs.

Sweet riding bike but it did play havoc on my lower back (I'm 43). I loved the geometry. I had an earlier Paragon with the G1 geometry and didn't like it. G2 was MUCH better for me.

I have owned three Paragons now. I had an older 26 inch Paragon that I raced on for a while (my first "real" mountain bike), a 2007 with G1 geometry and a 2009 with G2 geometry. I just picked up my Rumblefish 1 today with the G2 and I am really stoked to get a ride in this weekend!

Todd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well this is my first "real" mountain bike and I'm 46. From the bikes I test rode I liked the geometry on the Fisher better. I'm an old dirt biker so we will see how my back holds up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My carrying around 240 lbs doesn't help my back. I'm sure it'll be great for you. As I said earlier, I love the G2 and could really rail on that bike.

Todd

·
Registered
118 Posts
Trivia: The Paragon bike was named after road bikes produced in the sixties named Paragon. The bikes are beautiful; welded by Lars Zebroski and designed by Hugh Enox. They made custom frames, road, track, criterium, and I think a touring model. Zebroski was an amazing cyclist who trained in California and later competed in the 1960 Olympics with Victor Vincente of America, who is regarded as one of the greatest American cyclists in that time period. There is a whole thread devoted to Victor Vincente . So that's where the name came from, and I was tempted to buy a Paragon just because of this fact. It's kind of ironic that seeing how Zebroski was such a close friend of Vincente, if Paragon did make mountain bikes they probably would have been influenced by Vincente's love of small wheels, thus not a 29er. Nevertheless it's a sweet bike with great history.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2010 Paragon, size XL. I am running Maxis Ardent 2.4 tubeless. I have two bottle cages on the bike along with my tire/tool bag under the seat. I am also using an Alein suspension seat post. My bike weighs in at just shy of 30 lbs.

I am 64 with a cranky back. I just got a new Santa Cruz tallboy. The GF was a great bike but the HT was a little to tough riding for me

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Just an FYI, the Bontrager 29-3 2.1's are only 540g each, when I bought mine, the LBS put them on the scale and they showed 560g *with* packaging. So basically what I'm saying is the bike would have been about the same weight with either tires.

Edit: Yours would have come with 29-3 Experts, I was quoting the weight for the Team Issue, which are ~40g lighter.

That's surprisingly light though, congrats on the bike, hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thomasbien said:
Thanks for posting weight information on your Paragon. I had tried to find a weight a couple weeks ago without too much luck.

My shop just ordered a Paragon for me. Based on the online warehouse inventories they thought I would have the bike within several days. Now they learned the bike will be coming from the California warehouse and may take 1 to 2 weeks to arrive. Oh yes, the same inventory situation as last year is happening.

I'm curious to see what tires are installed on my Paragon.

Once I receive the bike I will weigh it and post my finding. Mine is going to be a 19" frame.

Thanks again for the info!
Just an update on the availability. Ordered mine on Monday and it did arrive at LBS today. 17.5" Paragon. They haven't got it put together yet so picking it up tomorrow. Hopefully yours will arrive soon too. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got mine home. It has Rocket Rons. Took off reflectors and with cheap plastic pedals it weighed 26 lbs. I think the bike looks so much better in person.

·
Registered
84 Posts
have had a couple Paragon's. Don't know the weight but rides like a dream. You all are making me want to buy another new one.

Have fun on the new bikes. Fisher's rock~!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey guys, here's a follow up as promised...

My Paragon also came with Schwalbe Rocket Ron rubber. After building it up we hung it on the scale. 25.1 pounds without pedals (see attached image). I'll save a couple grams right away by removing the "mandatory" reflectors and dork disk. ;)

As others have said, the bike looks better to me in person than in pictures. I like the matte black with gray.

The 17 degree sweptback bars are... interesting. I'm not sure why Trek would install such a niche bar on a mass produced bike. That being said, the bars felt okay on first impression. The sweep back seems okay to me but I'm not sure about the secondary effect of shortened reach to the bars. It felt like the stem should have been longer to compensate. I'll give them a try.

As mentioned above the Rocket Ron tires came on my bike. I have no experience with them but this statement on Schwalbe's web site about these tires is somewhat concerning to me: "Out and out competition tire! Puncture protection and durability are limited." These are going to be my everyday tires, as such limited durability would not be a choice I would make.

One other thing to point out, since I ordered my Paragon there has been a price increase from Trek. The Paragon price is $90 more, an increase of about 5%. I'm glad I ordered mine when I did.

It looks like a fun bike, I'm ready to ride it!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Thomas congrats on the new bike. I've kinda got used to the bars, but that seat had to go, didn't get along with it at all. Can only sit and look at my bike now....more snow!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just curious, do you have problems with mud trapped between the wheel and the seat tube?

I see there is very little clearance to allow tires full of mud to roll without touching the frame.

Screen shot 2011-06-25 at 12.41.47 PM.png

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know that Fisher does not communicate weight but I was curious for it and started looking for it on forums. I got my Paragon 29'er today and as they finished the parts on it, I asked them to weigh it right away.

I took Shimano PD 540 pedals as I first need better shoes if I want to go Crank Bros..
I got a nice surprise, the Paragon came with Rocket Ron's of Schwalbe instead of Bontrager stock tires. This is due to a shortage of own tyres.. So they had to go mount others at Trek! This is a 55 euro tyre in the NL ($70 a piece).

All together with these tyres, pedals, a 48 grams bottle holder and chain protection it came to 11.95 Kilo's which is 26.3 pounds. (a pound is 453.8 grams)

I will look for some weight savings in the coming year but first ride it :)

It is a 17.5 inch frame btw.

What are your paragon specs and weight?

26.3 pounds for a stock 17.5" Paragon sounds right. I have a 2011 17.5" Hifi Deluxe, which is a similar bike but with the rear suspension, and the stock weight is 29.5 pounds. Rear suspensions add about 3.5 pounds compared to hardtails.

·
noob
192 Posts
my 2011 19" came in at 26.5#s with all the following on it

540 shimano pedals
tubeless
easton xc70 handlebar
thomson masterpiece 330mm
odi troy lee lock on grips
bell wireless computer
my seat pouch with a co2 inflater, multi tool, and tire lever
and a bottle cage
my old seat from my 4300 which is heaver than the stock seat

i didnt get a chance to weigh it bone stock though

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 17 degree sweptback bars are... interesting. I'm not sure why Trek would install such a niche bar on a mass produced bike.
Those bars were the first thing I ditched on my new HiFi Deluxe last year. i don't get the big sweep....I'd love to know what the engineers at Trek were thinking when they spec'd them on a lot of their bikes. Mine is an XL, and those things really make the cockpit seem cramped, even with a long stem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts