Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new BB - FSA platinum Pro Ti MegaQuad, 73x113. I will install in the next day or two. The non-driveside bearing is huge (wide).

Some weights:
BB alone: 202g (for reference I weighed a non-MegaQuad at 194g)
aluminum bolts (2x) and steel washers (2x): 20g
steel bolt and washer (for installation): 20g

My complete crankset is as follows:
RF turbine 175mm
20t, Action Tec steel
30t, Salsa Pro
42t, Salsa Pro
chainring bolts (94mm), FSA Alum.
chainring bolts (58mm), RF stock
BB and crankfixing bolts, Megaquad

Total is 831g. What that says is that it is not easy to beat XT, XTR or Deus for weight and my setup cost about $290.

I also bought a 42t Shimano LX SGX 5-arm, 94mm ring which weighs 69g - if it works, and in conjunction with a 20t Ti ring, that will bring the total down to 801g. Something on my mind I might do later in the season is get 180mm cranks and a sqare taper BB.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
ouch

Motivated said:
I just received my new BB - FSA platinum Pro Ti MegaQuad, 73x113. I will install in the next day or two. The non-driveside bearing is huge (wide).

Some weights:

My complete crankset is as follows:
RF turbine 175mm
20t, Action Tec steel
30t, Salsa Pro
42t, Salsa Pro
chainring bolts (94mm), FSA Alum.
chainring bolts (58mm), RF stock
BB and crankfixing bolts, Megaquad

Total is 831g. What that says is that it is not easy to beat XT, XTR or Deus for weight and my setup cost about $290.

I also bought a 42t Shimano LX SGX 5-arm, 94mm ring which weighs 69g - if it works, and in conjunction with a 20t Ti ring, that will bring the total down to 801g. Something on my mind I might do later in the season is get 180mm cranks and a sqare taper BB.

that is distressing: weight wise cranksets are going backward, i cannot believe one is uo to 242 grams for bb and to 831 total: my run of the mill race face lp+titanium square bb+aluminum crank bolts + sugino rings weights a good 100+ less than that!

mtb is a bizarre industry

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
It's "the man" getting you to buy new stuff of course!

I bought some 04 XT's last year for the single speed then went "all out" , <sarcasm> with some Sugino XP's and shimano square taper cranks and can't really tell the difference in stiffness when riding along. According to all of the tests the XT's are way way stiffer but in my case it might be an "unmeasureable increase" in stiffness. In fact, the wider Q is a bit weird with 'em. (I'm running a single speed on one and a 1X9 on the other so they're both one ring setups) Anyway, it sounds like you have nice cranks but I've gotta agree with Davide that it's a strange industry sometimes.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
mine's are HALF the weight

Motivated said:

Some weights:

OOOOUCH!

that really hurts. my own scandium ISIS BB weighs half of that. in standard trim it weighed 120g but after removing the spacer tube the weight went down to 104g only.

Attachments

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
seriously

I was not aware ISIS BBs could be that light. I bought and installed an AmClassic BB, but it had a bit of friction at one point in the revolution and did not give me enough confidence to justify the 44g savings (202g - 158g). I sent it back.

Now that I have what I hope to be a light and reliable drivetrain I'm considering how to lighten it further. The only reason in my mind for going square taper is for the light BB, but yours and the Token ISIS BB will be a good option. I'm also looking for lighter rings - Ti would be nice but they are $$$ and I'm not convinced of the shift quality (being that they have no ramps/pins).

Where do I go to get pricing on your BB?

nino said:
OOOOUCH!

that really hurts. my own scandium ISIS BB weighs half of that. in standard trim it weighed 120g but after removing the spacer tube the weight went down to 104g only.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
Davide said:
that is distressing: weight wise cranksets are going backward, i cannot believe one is uo to 242 grams for bb and to 831 total: my run of the mill race face lp+titanium square bb+aluminum crank bolts + sugino rings weights a good 100+ less than that!

mtb is a bizarre industry
Actually, the BB is not 242g, but 222g. He included the weight of the steel bolt and washer, which are only needed during installation. Then, these are removed and the aluminum ones are installed. You can exclude the "steel bolt and washer (for installation): 20g" from the total.

I have the regular Platinum Pro Ti ISIS BB (73x113) and it's 185g for the BB and 19g for the aluminum bolts...total = 204g (vs 222g for the MegaQuad).

I'm curious to see how the MegaQuad holds-up vs the standard Platinum Pro Ti...my luck has been terrible and I've gone through at least 4 BBs in less than 2-yrs.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
scandium BB...

Motivated said:
I was not aware ISIS BBs could be that light. I bought and installed an AmClassic BB, but it had a bit of friction at one point in the revolution and did not give me enough confidence to justify the 44g savings (202g - 158g). I sent it back.

Now that I have what I hope to be a light and reliable drivetrain I'm considering how to lighten it further. The only reason in my mind for going square taper is for the light BB, but yours and the Token ISIS BB will be a good option. I'm also looking for lighter rings - Ti would be nice but they are $$$ and I'm not convinced of the shift quality (being that they have no ramps/pins).

Where do I go to get pricing on your BB?
contact me off the forum!
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.