Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jesseg has the idea that weight could be saved in the bottom bracket cups.

My XTR FC M970 bottom bracket cups weigh 79. The "sleeve" weighs around 5.

Jesseg said he thinks his Deus ones weigh 110. If so theres 20 grams right there. From what I recall last years XTR BB cups weigh 100 grams.

Can anyone with a deus, FSA, or similar type of bottom bracket system weigh there cups.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Aren't the new 970 XTR cups slightly different, though? I mean I know they work on the same principal, but they appear to be shaped slightly differently at the crankarm/bb-cup interface. May be insignificant, but maybe someone has tried installing an old XTR or other crankset on the new XTR bb?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As soon as I get my cast off (broke my leg) I'll try installing last years XTR or Deus crank on this years XTR cups.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The adjust and mount different but thats a difference in the crank...they use the same cup system. Now that I think about it....my dads 05 XTR crankset is removed....I'll go try installing it with 970 cups.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Mr. RMB said:
Jesseg said he thinks his Deus ones weigh 110. If so theres 20 grams right there. From what I recall last years XTR BB cups weigh 100 grams.

Can anyone with a deus, FSA, or similar type of bottom bracket system weigh there cups.
I concur with Jesseg. My RF Deus BB cups, sleeve and 3 spacers (1 gram each) hit my scale with a 114 gram reading. :thumbsup:

I'm horribly embaressed to say I did not ..... NOT ..... weigh these pieces individually as I considered them a "BB assembly". :madman: Wtf was I thinking? Bad Andrew ..... BAAAAAAAD! :eek:

·
Registered
99 Posts
MegaExo a pig

Weight weenies has the steel FSA megaexo BB at 140 and the ceramic at 130. Presumably both with sleeve. I haven't really toyed with it, but I'm actually not sure if it has a removable sleeve at all. That's a 61 gram spread from the steel one down to the 970!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
no seals??

Jesseg said:
I'm assuming that the Clavicula cups would be way more spendy than the 970 ones. What would they cost in the US, and where would you get them?
add the outer seals and the weight isn't too low afterwards:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those are light! how much do the seals weigh, a good 1-2g?
Were the ceramic bearings stock on that bb or was that aftermarket?
If they were aftermarket, do you know the weight before and after?
I will stick with my token-skf since the bearings are so smooth. Skf have always been one of the leaders in bearings worldwide, so I'll see over time how they hold up. over time.

Nino what do you use for chainring bolts?
Token says 5 male/female is 8.75g, but I haven't seen this confirmed. I believe a set of fsa bolts (12 in total) is 13g.
Both are pretty inexpensive and lightweight and I wasn't sure if anyone made anything lighter.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
seals are heavier...

Eddie3dfx said:
I will stick with my token-skf since the bearings are so smooth. Skf have always been one of the leaders in bearings worldwide, so I'll see over time how they hold up. over time.

Nino what do you use for chainring bolts?
Token says 5 male/female is 8.75g, but I haven't seen this confirmed. I believe a set of fsa bolts (12 in total) is 13g.
Both are pretty inexpensive and lightweight and I wasn't sure if anyone made anything lighter.
you need covers, not only seals right there so they definitely add some weight.

if your balance shows a 1/100th of a gram you might be able to locate lighter aluminium bolts BUT us "mortal" weightweenies are happy with just ANY kind of aluminium bolts. they are all the same (at least up to a tenth of a gram):thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
My 2006 XT BB with Sleeve is 103g. Not weighed them with my Enduro bearings but with that extra seal they are probably really heavy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Eddie3dfx said:
I have done the ceramic bearing job myself. The ceramic bearings save 0,3 gram for each bearing. The seals weight 0,3 gram for 2 pieces!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.