Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any info on this year's edition? Course? I assume it is bone dry out there. Other than the bikereg site there I don't see any info...any ideas when course route will be marked? Any Strava pre-ride tracks available?

Thanks

edit to title....

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm considering entering this - looks like there are still spots open. It would be my first race (male, 19-29).

As a newbie, should I just default to the novice category? 8 miles seems really short, and I want to do the longer ride in Sport, but I'm worried my lack of racing experience might result in an embarrassing finish. Anyone wiser than me out there have an opinion?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm considering entering this - looks like there are still spots open. It would be my first race (male, 19-29).

As a newbie, should I just default to the novice category? 8 miles seems really short, and I want to do the longer ride in Sport, but I'm worried my lack of racing experience might result in an embarrassing finish. Anyone wiser than me out there have an opinion?
If you think 8 miles is short and have decent fitness I wouldn't be worried about getting embarrassed. You will probably do fine. Just start on the rear and as peopel blow up you can pass them :)

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
If you think 8 miles is short and have decent fitness I wouldn't be worried about getting embarrassed. You will probably do fine. Just start on the rear and as peopel blow up you can pass them :)
Starting at the rear is about the worst advice you could give at a race like this. Once in the one track it can be a chore to pass. Get in the woods as far up as you can and see how things shake out. Passing takes extra effort.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Starting at the rear is about the worst advice you could give at a race like this. Once in the one track it can be a chore to pass. Get in the woods as far up as you can and see how things shake out. Passing takes extra effort.
I couldn't disagree more with you newmarket. This will be this dude's first race. This race is full on bedlam in the beginning on that fire road....bad bad place for someone who has zero race experience........you are just asking for a disaster. The rookie likely gets hurt along with others. Bad advice you are giving in my opinion.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
I couldn't disagree more with you newmarket. This will be this dude's first race. This race is full on bedlam in the beginning on that fire road....bad bad place for someone who has zero race experience........you are just asking for a disaster. The rookie likely gets hurt along with others. Bad advice you are giving in my opinion.
Kinda funneh that you'd start a TR asking q's about the venue/race when you seem to know quite a bit about it already. You assume it's dry? Have you been outside lately? You'd get sent to high security prison if you even mentioned having a lil bonfire at the family reunion right now, lol!

Anywho, yo newbie sport, line up near the front end of the pack so that you don't get caught in the $hit show that will inevitably occur when you send off 45 sandbaggers, 15 actual sport class racers, and 17 noobies that could prolly crush most sports and many experts, all at the same time down a fireroad with a bottleneck from heLl into the 1st singletrack. Just fvcking pin it. It's racing. Put yer head down and go for it. You'll be choking dust at the back.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kinda funneh that you'd start a TR asking q's about the venue/race when you seem to know quite a bit about it already. You assume it's dry? Have you been outside lately? You'd get sent to high security prison if you even mentioned having a lil bonfire at the family reunion right now, lol!

Anywho, yo newbie sport, line up near the front end of the pack so that you don't get caught in the $hit show that will inevitably occur when you send off 45 sandbaggers, 15 actual sport class racers, and 17 noobies that could prolly crush most sports and many experts, all at the same time down a fireroad with a bottleneck from heLl into the 1st singletrack. Just fvcking pin it. It's racing. Put yer head down and go for it. You'll be choking dust at the back.
Just like over on TGR you are the resident genius on everything :)

As the resident genius please enlighten us on this years course route

Many thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for the tips, guys. I have a lot of concerns with going Sport - fitness isn't one of them, exactly.

Apart from my debilitating allergies and the race date at the height of pollen season, I've never done more than 7ish miles without a hydration pack. I'll be on a full suspension (light) trial bike (Specialized Camber), with just enough room for a small water bottle in the front triangle. Only 1 bottle cage mount. I'll have a tube and some basic tools under my seat.

Does anybody know how this race is set up? Is it just 1, 2, or 3 laps of an 8 mile circuit? Will there be aid stations or other opportunities to refuel/swap out bottles?

I could probably do 8 miles without a bottle (definitely wouldn't want to though), but I'm pretty sure I couldn't do 16 on just 1.

Then there's the issue of food. People usually wear Jerseys with gu packs in the pockets, right? I don't have any of that stuff (jerseys, etc), and don't feel like blowing hundreds of dollars just so I can race an extra 8 miles.

Thoughts? And thanks for entertaining my stupid questions.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Thanks for the tips, guys. I have a lot of concerns with going Sport - fitness isn't one of them, exactly.

Apart from my debilitating allergies and the race date at the height of pollen season, I've never done more than 7ish miles without a hydration pack. I'll be on a full suspension (light) trial bike (Specialized Camber), with just enough room for a small water bottle in the front triangle. Only 1 bottle cage mount. I'll have a tube and some basic tools under my seat.

Does anybody know how this race is set up? Is it just 1, 2, or 3 laps of an 8 mile circuit? Will there be aid stations or other opportunities to refuel/swap out bottles?

I could probably do 8 miles without a bottle (definitely wouldn't want to though), but I'm pretty sure I couldn't do 16 on just 1.

Then there's the issue of food. People usually wear Jerseys with gu packs in the pockets, right? I don't have any of that stuff (jerseys, etc), and don't feel like blowing hundreds of dollars just so I can race an extra 8 miles.

Thoughts? And thanks for entertaining my stupid questions.
Pro tip-race beginner for this one and see how it goes. It's gonna hurt either way.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
That's what I'm leaning towards. Probably what I needed to hear. Thanks.
you'll hava blast. there's nothing like putting a number plate on and riding beyond yerself. makes you such a better and stronger rider. the next time you ride after this race you'll feel so good. careful, it can be addicting. if it becomes an addiction think of all the cool places you'll get to ride where you never normally would:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
you'll hava blast. there's nothing like putting a number plate on and riding beyond yerself. makes you such a better and stronger rider. the next time you ride after this race you'll feel so good. careful, it can be addicting. if it becomes an addiction think of all the cool places you'll get to ride where you never normally would:)
Haha I used to say "I'll never race bikes!"

I grew up ski racing, and when that career finally ended and I started chasing powder, I realized how much fun I'd been missing out on. I don't want that to happen with biking.

But I figure I gotta try at least one, right?

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Haha I used to say "I'll never race bikes!"

I grew up ski racing, and when that career finally ended and I started chasing powder, I realized how much fun I'd been missing out on. I don't want that to happen with biking.

But I figure I gotta try at least one, right?
you got it. it's a fun festive scene. mtb racing in ne is hot right now, especially root66/kenda cup. kinda like it was in the early/mid 90's. lots of cool races. nh 100k/100 miler, and bradbury 12 hour are must do's.

·
Registered
199 Posts
you got it. it's a fun festive scene. mtb racing in ne is hot right now, especially root66/kenda cup. kinda like it was in the early/mid 90's. lots of cool races. nh 100k/100 miler, and bradbury 12 hour are must do's.
Actually my riding buddies are trying to pressure me into the NH100 (kilometer). I'm about to buckle and sign up, but I don't want that to be my first time on a race course. Glad to hear it endorsed by somebody else.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Actually my riding buddies are trying to pressure me into the NH100 (kilometer). I'm about to buckle and sign up, but I don't want that to be my first time on a race course. Glad to hear it endorsed by somebody else.
do it! the 100k is the way to go as it's one big loop. the hundred miler just adds the beginning of the 100k race to make the extra mileage. boring:)

i may do it on my fatbike this year just for the heckovit.

i haven't raced it since 2008 and even then i hadn't raced at all that summer. off the couch on my full rigid 29er with baggies and a t-shirt to nab the expert vet win. by like 32 minutes:D

results here:

http://hampshire100.com/docs/Results2008.pdf

just to give you some motivation^^^^^^:)

if i do it this year i won't be signing up till the day before. it's just how i roll.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
I race with a hydration pack. Just saying
me too. always. i'd never be able to grab bottle with my eyeballs falling out of my head and my bike banging and chattering thru the woods.

just went onto the nh 100 race info page. 33 mile laps? wtf? the stuff they cut out is all the real mtb stuff. raw, rugged, and non vermont and whatnot.

no bueno.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have raced the 100 mile distance the last two years. I will not be racing this one. I'm with you. They took out the good stuff???

1 - 20 of 42 Posts