Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
jdubsl2 said:
Keep riding the Nomad. It'll make you stronger.

When you switch over to a lighter weight hardtail, the way the bike responds to pedal input is amazingly noticeable. I've got a carbon Nomad and a carbon OnOne 456. The Nomad climbs incredibly well for a longer travel bike, but when I switch over to the hardtail after a week of riding... it feels like a rocket. The Nomad is way more fun to have on the downs, though and I don't really mind cranking it to the top.

Just rode Kennedy tonight, actually - on the 32# Nomad. 41:53 vs. my best of 38:29 on the 25# HT.
A 32lb. carbon bike? I kinda think weight is overrated but isn't that defeating the purpose of having a carbon bike?

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,261 Posts
NoBalance said:
Still holding on to my KOM at Boggs - Gail's trail, during the 24hr race last year:
http://app.strava.com/segments/618071

Muahaha!
Oh wow, I have QOM on that segment. But that's cuz I'm the only woman on it. :p Come on gals! I have like, 3 pages of QOM's, most of which are completely unjustified.... but I'll take it for now. :D

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
GPS should arrive today!! I borrowed a 24.5Lb SS from a friend. It has 32/16 gearing on it. I started my watch and hit St Joes. My fastest time on a geared bike has been 16:01. My last time on that bike was a disappointing 16:43. I railed it hard this morning on the SS and hit a PR of 14:40!!!!!! That was from Novitiate sign to start of wood railing at the top. A slight bit longer than the Strava course but not by much. I checked Strava and that puts me into 3rd place. I think FC was about 10 seconds faster but could not find his time. It was hard as heck and my upper body is fatigued. I am super excited- just had to share.

Paul

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
pmarshall said:
GPS should arrive today!! I borrowed a 24.5Lb SS from a friend. It has 32/16 gearing on it. I started my watch and hit St Joes. My fastest time on a geared bike has been 16:01. My last time on that bike was a disappointing 16:43. I railed it hard this morning on the SS and hit a PR of 14:40!!!!!! That was from Novitiate sign to start of wood railing at the top. A slight bit longer than the Strava course but not by much. I checked Strava and that puts me into 3rd place. I think FC was about 10 seconds faster but could not find his time. It was hard as heck and my upper body is fatigued. I am super excited- just had to share.

Paul
I'm 15:12. You would be in 5th!!!

http://app.strava.com/rides/283951#4381200

fc

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Ok I was checking the wrong one. Dang!! I beat you??? That is a first for me. I will take 5th among those guys and you anyday. Must have been my morning or something. The gearing felt like I was pushing an old BMX bike up the hill.

·
bike buster
1,197 Posts
Carl Hungus said:
A 32lb. carbon bike? I kinda think weight is overrated but isn't that defeating the purpose of having a carbon bike?
I bought a carbon bike because I've snapped four aluminum frames (one Stumpjumper FSR, three Trek Remedies) I'm going for durability/stiffness. Weight isn't everything. Carbon doesn't fatigue or have welds to fail - two key selling points that finally won me over.

And, I must say, I'm glad to be a convert. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
jdubsl2 said:
I bought a carbon bike because I've snapped four aluminum frames (one Stumpjumper FSR, three Trek Remedies) I'm going for durability/stiffness. Weight isn't everything. Carbon doesn't fatigue or have welds to fail - two key selling points that finally won me over.

And, I must say, I'm glad to be a convert. :thumbsup:
Cool. I was just curious.

·
bike buster
1,197 Posts
Carl Hungus said:
Cool. I was just curious.
I've already gotten a lot of crap about it's weight. Haha. It's an XL, 6.3" travel, coil forked bike with big brakes, big beefy tires, wide bars and a dropper post. It's a fun bike -- that I'm not uber paranoid about falling to pieces underneath me while riding it down Braille.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
rensho said:
New King on St. Joes? Man, there are some fast peeps coming out of the woodwork.
Who? Holger and his 13:03?

Good news, bad news. Good, he's on vacation in Hawaii. Bad, he's climbing Haleakalalala every morning.

fc

G

·
Years ago timing up St Joes was quite common. I cant confirm it however at the time the claim was the fastest was 10 minutes, gate to top though possibly a shorter track on the side not including manzanita trail

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
diskus said:
Years ago timing up St Joes was quite common. I cant confirm it however at the time the claim was the fastest was 10 minutes, gate to top though possibly a shorter track on the side not including manzanita trail
Was it Eric Heiden? :p

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
It's official. I am on Strava and up and running. Tried the Garmin at Santa Teresa today and tried the RR climb. Had to dab but was ok with it. On my second descent I pinch flatted and realized I forgot my tubes and air in the car:madman: Then a rider appeared like an apparition from the sweat in my eyes. It was snowjnky and the guy saved my butt with a tube and air. The replacement tube exploded (probably twisted when I put it in) and actually made the tire come off the rim. Sounded like a gunshot. We repaired my pinched tube and I was able to limp back to the car. Guess who is getting a Pliny!!! Thanks dude and I have a tube and a CO2 with your name on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Answers to a couple of Strava related questions

Nice thread!

A couple quick answers from a Strava insider.

If you auto-pause on a climb - your "pause" will be included in your time - so, it's not ideal for getting a KOM ; )

Regarding false positive segment matching - this is something we're always working to improve. Some trails that are very close in proximity will sometimes match each other. We have some very smart people working on this issue.

Feel free to email [email protected] with questions, suggestions and bug reports. We're constantly using your feedback to make Strava better.

Cheers,

Davis

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.