Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Formerly dvo
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
God I love a long weekend to sleep in, watch some World Cup DH, eat a casual breakfast and go ride whenever and whatever I choose. Traffic will be thick getting over 17 with the holiday beach traffic so rides from home will be on the agenda.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Woke up at 11:45pm last night (after 1.5 hours of sleep) to meet Derek on his Everest mission out at Demo today. We got pedaling right around 1:45am and the initial pace was insanely fast. I think his best was 36 minutes for a Sulfer/Braille lap in the dark. (Including any breaks taken, which were none). During the first 6 laps Derek would call out to his support team as he was approaching the feed station and wouldn't spend more than 10 second there before he started pedaling again. I stayed for 9 laps before leaving (45 miles and 10.5k'). When I left he was still in good spirits and smashing laps out. But it'll only get harder later in the day.

The first few laps were the fastest until he settled into a more manageable pace. Some variance in time due to stopping cars not stopping. One lap we had light issues where he too my light from me.

I think this was after 10 laps. Taking a minute to massage the quads while I was watching WC DH replay

This was actually Derek's first time ever riding at night. And I bet he will get to do so again later today as he finishes off the last few laps. When I left it was getting crazy busy.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Woke up at 11:45pm last night (after 1.5 hours of sleep) to meet Derek on his Everest mission out at Demo today. We got pedaling right around 1:45am and the initial pace was insanely fast. I think his best was 36 minutes for a Sulfer/Braille lap in the dark. (Including any breaks taken, which were none). During the first 6 laps Derek would call out to his support team as he was approaching the feed station and wouldn't spend more than 10 second there before he started pedaling again. I stayed for 9 laps before leaving (45 miles and 10.5k'). When I left he was still in good spirits and smashing laps out. But it'll only get harder later in the day.
View attachment 1946863

The first few laps were the fastest until he settled into a more manageable pace. Some variance in time due to stopping cars not stopping. One lap we had light issues where he too my light from me.
View attachment 1946864

I think this was after 10 laps. Taking a minute to massage the quads while I was watching WC DH replay
View attachment 1946865

This was actually Derek's first time ever riding at night. And I bet he will get to do so again later today as he finishes off the last few laps. When I left it was getting crazy busy.
whoa. I've never heard of anyone ever everesting on a MTB. That is amazing! Also incomprehensible to me. That's so much fitter than I am it's clearly a different species.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Did a nice loop in annadel plus 8 miles of road riding to pickup my truck from the body shop today. 20 degree temp inversion this am - maybe 55 at the bottom and 80ish at the top. Felt it cooling off fast in the way down.

Did a half day lesson with Brian Astell two weeks back. He’s amazing. Great suggestion from some here. A few tips really making a huge difference in my riding.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Impressive! I was up until 11:45pm watching the Giants game, and woke up at 10am in no condition to ride a bike. But AQI is 150ish up here and I have a full day of F1, UCI DH, and College Football ahead of me. In a few mins I'll migrate out to the garage and fire up the smoker and rewrap the handlebar on my gravel bike in between a few beers.

Good luck to the guy on his everesting attempt.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Did a short ride with an old friend yesterday around the local lake. He is a member of the Rivendell cult and lately replaced a broken 1983 Diamondback frame he had custom painted with a 1989 Bridgestone. His bike is about the ultimate expression of the MTB-are-26er-touring-bikes era before suspension really kicked off. He moved all the parts over, and they still match his custom paint and not the new frame. So that was a pretty good contrast with my Timberjack! We traded bikes for a while and once again confirmed we are not interested in each other's bike style.

Smoke is back today, but not bad.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
whoa. I've never heard of anyone ever everesting on a MTB. That is amazing! Also incomprehensible to me. That's so much fitter than I am it's clearly a different species.
Yes. Much harder than road bike (or even a mtb route on fire road) because for those you can rest on the downhill. Here he is going down one of the roughest trails around that will soon take its toll on the body.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes. Much harder than road bike (or even a mtb route on fire road) because for those you can rest on the downhill. Here he is going down one of the roughest trails around that will soon take its toll on the body.
Overlapped with Derek on Lap 22. His Lap 22, my Lap 1, to be precise. And to be even more precise, he zoomed me on a chunky section of the downhill singletrack.

I'm just a less-than-avg mtber, but Derek blew by me so smoothly. And he sounded fresh as a daisy when he shouted "Thanks Bro" after I hollered some encouraging words.

Besides working off a bunch of bad carbs from Fri, I rode there in the hopes of seeing up close what I saw. Someone with truly remarkable ability.

Some of you unworldly riders out there -- you're unfathomable to me!

·
More pie please
2,009 Posts
For my 2,000th post I'll share some photos from my Labor Day weekend tradition, riding from Skeggs to Half Moon Bay and back. Photo theme is Beckoning Trails...

^Blue Blossom Trail

^Grabtown Gulch Trail

^Wavecrest

^Poplar Beach

^Francis Beach

^Miramar

Ha, the beckoning ended here!

It was time to turn around, anyway.

Finally, fooling around with a photo...

·
Registered
779 Posts
I sprinted the last 2 minutes to Sand Point to grab a pic of my tired brother. I'm enjoying this very short window I have where I'm a better rider than he is. ?

My condolences to anyone who thought it was a good idea to sleep in before heading to Nisene today. When we left the park at 10:30 there was a line of at least 15 cars at the entrance station waiting for people to leave to be waved in. Also, there were tons of terrible, tiny mosquitoes at Sand Point. They were so small and fat I though they were just blackflies at first, until they started landing and biting.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My condolences to anyone who thought it was a good idea to sleep in before heading to Nisene today.
Dumb question, what is the earliest one can pull into and park in Nisene? Google says 8am, website says sunrise, and I think the station says 6am? I want to do a very earlier ride and I have a state parks season parking pass but don't want to show up to a gate somewhere (memory is fuzzy if there is one).

·
F*** it
1,273 Posts
Dumb question, what is the earliest one can pull into and park in Nisene? Google says 8am, website says sunrise, and I think the station says 6am? I want to do a very earlier ride and I have a state parks season parking pass but don't want to show up to a gate somewhere (memory is fuzzy if there is one).
You can just park outside the park, like across the street from Epicenter and roll on in. I have a state parks pass and have only driven in once, since it doesn't really save you any time. From there it's an easy 5-minute pedal to the main entrance. It's often unmanned, but either way you can just roll through.

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
Quick ride at Joaquin Miller with the kid. It is so dry there right now, it almost feels like Northstar.

·
singletrack bound
3,075 Posts
I sprinted the last 2 minutes to Sand Point to grab a pic of my tired brother. I'm enjoying this very short window I have where I'm a better rider than he is. ?

My condolences to anyone who thought it was a good idea to sleep in before heading to Nisene today
yeah it was busy in there today! Last hurrah I guess.
Got 3 hrs. In myself then hit the beach which was crazy busy too but felt good to dive into the ocean after a ride!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.