Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Formerly dvo
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shuttled the Wasatch Crest above Salt Lake City this afternoon, including some city streets back to our place I ended up with 28 miles and over 5000 feet of high quality descending.

Shotgun as always.

Plant Sky Goggles People in nature Sunglasses

All time views

Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion Mountain

The Aspen were on fire.

Sky Plant community Mountain Natural landscape Slope

Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape Natural environment Branch

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Some impressive photos up there, guys.

The wife and I got a lap on our favorite north shore trail, then she left in the truck. I rode TRT Martis etc to Deer Creek and back up Western States etc to Big Chief and Sawtooth trails.

Bicycle Wheel Cloud Sky Tire

Haze blocking the view.

Plant Plant community Carnivore Tree Natural landscape

A curious youngster.

Not too warm, a breeze came up in the afternoon. A nice dirt therapy session. 49/6445/9:30

·
Registered
546 Posts
Great to read this. My annual Tahoe mtb trip won't happen this month, so instead we are thinking about Downieville. Two days and 1 night. I've never been there.

Can we just show up and get ride info from the shuttle services, or should I do some research on routes beforehand? Any tips on where to stay for 1 night?

Thanks!

'
Rode Downieville for the first time in two years.

Conditions were all-time.

Pandemic/fire closures plus some recent precipitation had trails in great condition for this late in the season. Definitely not loam, but not ultra blown out. I’ll take it.

Tons of campers.

View attachment 1949920

View attachment 1949920

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Great to read this. My annual Tahoe mtb trip won't happen this month, so instead we are thinking about Downieville. Two days and 1 night. I've never been there.

Can we just show up and get ride info from the shuttle services, or should I do some research on routes beforehand? Any tips on where to stay for 1 night?

Thanks!

'
If you plan to use the shuttle service you should book that in advance to ensure you have a seat.
All the trails are on Trailforks so you can use that to navigate.

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts

Thanks!

'
My quick suggestions having ridden there for 15+ years:
  • Absolutely book the shuttles before. If you just doing the downhill or a variant, you can easily do two runs a day. I would book the shuttles 4 hours apart. Takes an hour to get up and unloaded, 2 hours down at a very easy pace (assuming the classic Sunrise/Bucher/3rd/1st, which should be your first run), and gives time to refuel and for any mechanicals. For a second run, you can do the pauley creek/big boulder variant.
  • Consider doing the tower to town for an all day ride.
  • Consider doing the backside to Graeagle.
  • Take a tire boot, plugs, and a spare tube. Downieville is shale and much sharper rocks than Tahoe. It shreds tires. If you are not already, I would suggest just putting on a heavy casing rear tire to save the seemingly inevitable puncture of lighter tires (i.e. Maxxis double down, Schwalbe Super Gravity, WTB Tough).
  • Take plenty of water, despite the fact you are shuttling, it gets hot and is dry.
  • Remember, there is no easy way to get you out if you crash, so judge your risk for obstacles with that in mind.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts