Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Formerly dvo
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First ride on my fully refreshed Megaboy ( Tallboy on coils )

Bicycle Wheel Tire Land vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

New cockpit, saddle, drivetrain, brakes and a new wheelset after my 4 year old Ibis 942's started showing some wear cracks at the spokes, an amazing warranty meant new rims that week, replaced all the bearings in the original I9 hubs and rebuilt with silver spokes and nipples.

Cloud Bicycle Tire Sky Wheel

·
the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,934 Posts
when i called my longtime buddy geoff in the oakland hills thursday night asking him if wilson and i should come over today for an afternoon of riding and one-hour pineapple pork, he gave the enthusiastic go ahead.

i have only ridden a few times over here and was very much looking forward to riding something other than the shifting sands of golden gate park.

the first climb at chabot quickly reminded me i need to get out of my cozy urban park and ride some big-boy trails like i used to when i was in my forties. golden gate park does not have steep, fast rutted fire road descents like redwood regional park, nor does it have steep, slow painful climbs anything like those in chabot. one thing all three parks do have in common though, is lots of hikers but it seems to me the east bay crowd is generally pretty friendly towards cyclists--in my opinion we didn't get as many rectum-sewed--shut stares as i do in marin. however, your experience may be different than mine.

the trail surfaces at redwood and chabot are dry and hard, with a good bit of dust and sandy soil in some places, which is infinitely better than pedaling uphill through deep sand dunes. it'll get slick and slimy when the rains start but i hope we'll get some more rides in over there before the weather starts changing.

Ecoregion Light Product Map World

even though our ride was just under fourteen miles, it's my longest ride of a year that'll end up being the least time on the bike i've had in a long, long time. perhaps if we had not done a shuttle from redwood it would have been a twenty mile day, but geoff and wilson's time constraints and prior commitments kept us from adding more climbing and trails to our ride.

hopefully, wilson and i will get back to the east bay soon. i've been friends with geoff for almost forty years now (he introduced me to mountain biking) and he needs to get back in the MTB rhythm just like i do.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Sky Plant

one hour pineapple pork is thick cut pork chops from arguello supermarket in san francisco soaked in salt water and lemon juice for two hours, rinsed clean and marinated in a concoction of chopped pineapple, orange and pineapple juices, honey, brown sugar and cornstarch all measured in a gut-feeling way shape and fashion two or three hours then cooked indirectly on a charcoal and wood fire for just over an hour.

go giants!!!!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
We "mtbnorcal" hosted a group ride in Auburn this morning with 50+ riders. We started and finished at The Station House Pub...

We conducted a silent auction and raised +$14,000!! Funds will go to trail advocacy groups like Factrak, Sierra Buttes, and Tamba to help with fire impacted trails!.. all organized in 2 weeks!

Station House asking place and food!

Thanks to all the companies and individuals who donated product, or services!

Thank you to all those who came out and participated!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
How was the air up there?
The air seemed great yesterday; current check reveals lots of zeros in the area. And the rain chance forecast for today is continuing to look like a dud, though it apparently rained overnight. Chance diminishing today.

It's perfect, come and shred it!

Good work, @Dagonger et al.

·
Formerly dvo
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The grandson ( and parents! ) packed up and headed back up the hill to Placerville. They are trying to find work here around Scotts Valley so hopefully they will be back sooner than later.

Nose Cheek Skin Lip Eye

After the tears dried up its was time to go drown my sorrows, down Bear, through UC and Wilder out to the coast....

Plant Sky Ecoregion Natural landscape People in nature

Rode bike paths through town over to Shanty Shack for an adult beverage or two then back home.

Tableware Drinkware Juice Beer Barware

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Quick ride with my son. Had a prescription change and my max HR seems to have dropped about 15 points. Where before hitting 175-180 on climbs, all of a sudden 155-165 for the same breathing effort.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Cloud Sky

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Reactions: She&I
1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.