Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Formerly dvo
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's dry, it's hot, and now it's smoky nearly everywhere. My buddy has a pool just up the street so I got that going for me, which is nice. Got a three day weekend coming up so there is that. You get the feeling it gets pretty damn hard every Saturday morning to come up with a theme?

· Registered
660 Posts
got a ride in at Pacifica after work yesterday. Someone turned the dust knob up to 11. plus I just wasn’t feeling it, felt off my game. Oh well, a mediocre day riding is nothing to complain about and it keeps me regular, mentally speaking.

· Registered
5,321 Posts
I tried to find some decent air so went to Toro. It wasn't terrible but it also wasn't great. My lungs/throat started burning so rolled Pipeline to get out of there rather than plan on a few descents....and it was so dry it wasn't really very fun. I'm gonna take up backpacking...anyone do the Lost Coast? Heading there end of month I think.

Roughster, if you are still around, Suana is badass. I am in there everyday. I do 10 minute breathing exercise, 20 minutes of meditation while I'm in there and I'm floating after words. Set up a cold shower which is refressshing. The unit I bought is really nice and works great! Set up/build is a bit of a task...and you need to be prepared to set up a 220 line.

Cheers.

· In Transit
1,097 Posts
Was planning on dodging manure and rangers at school this morning but the terrible AQI persuaded me to go with the backup plan - a locals spot near the coast where the AQI bubbles were yellow instead of blood red. Riding the short travel bike with XC tires made the enduro-ish trails a lot more fun.

· Registered
2,665 Posts
I tried to find some decent air so went to Toro. It wasn't terrible but it also wasn't great. My lungs/throat started burning so rolled Pipeline to get out of there rather than plan on a few descents....and it was so dry it wasn't really very fun. I'm gonna take up backpacking...anyone do the Lost Coast? Heading there end of month I think.

Roughster, if you are still around, Suana is badass. I am in there everyday. I do 10 minute breathing exercise, 20 minutes of meditation while I'm in there and I'm floating after words. Set up a cold shower which is refressshing. The unit I bought is really nice and works great! Set up/build is a bit of a task...and you need to be prepared to set up a 220 line.

Cheers. View attachment 1945751
Thanks for the info Squasho! I'll definitely bring this up as a unit with the wife!

I can help you on the other question as I have done the Lost Coast three times. Definitely buy a shuttle from Black Sands. The road to Mattole is NASTY. Well worth the cost of the shuttle.

I've done it with one night, two nights, and three nights. My favorite was the 3 nights. Makes for a super leisurely pace and the area is so beautiful to explore gives you maximum value!

Some Other recommendations:
  • Pay attention to tides, they can be dangerous for sure and no joke in the tidal zones.
  • Definitely explore the light house and climb to the balcony. Scary but awesome!
  • Keep your eyes on a swivel for cool ****. No joke my daughter and I were joking about finding GWS tooth. In less than hour of hiking we found one as we were both looking. It was huge!
  • Lots of PO around the trail sections off the beach, so consider long sleeves / pants that are light weight and loose fitting.
  • Good friend Mr Tick is also present. Check yourself every stop.
  • It's not as easy as "follow the beach / coast". Several sections require traversing up on the bluffs and knowing when to come back down. Read up before you go.
  • Defintely wear ankle gators. I really liked Hooka Ones and ankle gators. Perfect for dealing with sand as even with boots you'll be dumping sand out of shoes often.
  • There are fresh water streams but bring a filter for sure.

Hope that helps!

· Registered
148 Posts
First ever mountain lion encounter tonight. I've been hoping to see a big kitty for years, glad to finally check that off my life list.

Headed out this evening and rolled through some neighborhood trails; entered Quicksilver right before sunset. Great views of San Jose with smoke-colored skies above. On my way home I was descending Hicks Road, a kitty poked its head out of the bush at the side of the road, glanced at me for a quick second, then ran across the road, right in front of me. I reacted with a short skid, then continued riding. Was probably ten feet away at the closest, the whole thing was over in a second. So cool to finally see a big cat up close.

· Premium Member
8,742 Posts
First ever mountain lion encounter tonight. I've been hoping to see a big kitty for years, glad to finally check that off my life list.

Headed out this evening and rolled through some neighborhood trails; entered Quicksilver right before sunset. Great views of San Jose with smoke-colored skies above. On my way home I was descending Hicks Road, a kitty poked its head out of the bush at the side of the road, glanced at me for a quick second, then ran across the road, right in front of me. I reacted with a short skid, then continued riding. Was probably ten feet away at the closest, the whole thing was over in a second. So cool to finally see a big cat up close.

View attachment 1945824
Did you throw poop at it? I would have grabbed a big handful from my shorts, just in case.

· Premium Member
8,742 Posts
Started a ride a China Camp with my son and Nick of Nuehaus bikes. I knew I was in trouble when I saw Nick was on a single speed. By the time I got the top (where they were kindly waiting) I let them go hit the backside so they were not waiting on me more and did a frontside loop since it has been about 7-8 years.

· Registered
781 Posts
After riding exclusively solo for the last ten months I finally started training a new riding buddy. I took my brother up Aptos Fire Road this morning (@mtbrdan, I passed an aqua Specialized headed up while I was headed down around 10:50, was that you? I wasn't able to to check the cranks to confirm). He's stuck on my kid-hauler for a bit, but once my new bike comes in a month or so he can bump up to the DragonSlayer and we can start getting rowdy.

There were already a bunch of cars in the lot when we showed up at 8:45, and it was packed when we left around 11:30. Not that that's surprising for a beautiful Sunday. Smoke was minimal, though we could see a layer of high elevation haze from Sand Point. The hardpacked surface was a pleasant variation from the seemingly hub-deep moondust at UC. Though I can't vouch for the conditions of the backroads at Nisene.

· Formerly dvo
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After riding exclusively solo for the last ten months I finally started training a new riding buddy. I took my brother up Aptos Fire Road this morning (@mtbrdan, I passed an aqua Specialized headed up while I was headed down around 10:50, was that you? I wasn't able to to check the cranks to confirm). He's stuck on my kid-hauler for a bit, but once my new bike comes in a month or so he can bump up to the DragonSlayer and we can start getting rowdy.

View attachment 1945887

There were already a bunch of cars in the lot when we showed up at 8:45, and it was packed when we left around 11:30. Not that that's surprising for a beautiful Sunday. Smoke was minimal, though we could see a layer of high elevation haze from Sand Point. The hardpacked surface was a pleasant variation from the seemingly hub-deep moondust at UC. Though I can't vouch for the conditions of the backroads at Nisene.
Seems likely, about that time we were about to turn off of the fireroad onto Big Slide.

· Registered
803 Posts
Started a ride a China Camp with my son and Nick of Nuehaus bikes. I knew I was in trouble when I saw Nick was on a single speed. By the time I got the top (where they were kindly waiting) I let them go hit the backside so they were not waiting on me more and did a frontside loop since it has been about 7-8 years.

View attachment 1945888
Thanks for coming over this way, happy to show you around anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
8,742 Posts
Thanks for coming over this way, happy to show you around anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Enjoyed it. Forgot to say beautiful frame. For those that haven't seen his frames:

My kid was commenting how you just stood up and cranked up climbs. I told him, that is why you don't see slow guys on single speeds.

Reactions: ancient rascal

· the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,934 Posts
it is the peak of Sand Season in golden gate park.

i really don't feel like riding over the bridge to the headlands or loading my bike into the car and mingling with the hundreds of thousands of bay area numbnut drivers.

GGP is literally two blocks from my front door and at least i get to set my tires on dirt for the most part. wider tires and low pressures are the name of the summertime game in san francisco...
Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Bicycle wheel

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.