Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Man Angwin is in the worst condition ive ever seen it in. Havent ridden up here in a long time and decided to head up on a whim, every trail i rode had massive tree blockage and so much erosion. If anyone wants to do some trail work up here soon, let me know, id love to bring a saw and help out cause this is honestly just sad.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Rode demo this morning for the first time this summer, and decided to keep up my streak of trying new trails, and finally gave Corral a try. It's a chill trail, short and sweet, I wish it went to the bottom instead of the fire road.
Flow was the blown out war zone of braking craters you'd expect this time of year, but I guess that keeps it interesting.
Next time I would ride Braile and Sawpit, if they aren't in post apocalyptic summer mode.

Spidertown on Cussak's

Attachments

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I’ll keep the details minimal in case the owner at fault is on these forums, but today I saw someone with their bike in a Kuat (or similar style) hitch mount bike rack secured the wrong way. The wheel tray and arm clamp that is supposed to go over the front wheel was on the rear, and the single strap the holds the rear onto the flat surface of the rack was on the front wheel. Every time the driver hit a turn the front end was flopping back and forth.

So if you’re out there, and you recently bought a new looking bike and wondering why it looks like it’s about to fall off as you are driving, I’d suggest you take a quick peek at the installation instruction on that rack one more time.

Unfortunately he exited before I could get a video. Lol.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Rode demo this morning for the first time this summer, and decided to keep up my streak of trying new trails, and finally gave Corral a try. It's a chill trail, short and sweet, I wish it went to the bottom instead of the fire road.
Flow was the blown out war zone of braking craters you'd expect this time of year, but I guess that keeps it interesting.
Next time I would ride Braile and Sawpit, if they aren't in post apocalyptic summer mode.

Spidertown on Cussak's
View attachment 1944778

View attachment 1944779
The section of Sawpit that goes from the top of flow to the climb 2/3rds of the way down is really good and doesn't see too many braking craters because it's all on a mellow grade ridge.

·
In Transit
1,097 Posts
It was another morning of thick fog and slightly damp conditions at school this morning. There was enough moisture on the ground to tamp down the dust and make certain roots and rocks a bit more slippery than usual, but the loose spots were still loose and the sandy sections of fire road were a bit draggier. The theme for today's ride was crappy music blaring out of Bluetooth speakers and phones. More than I recall on any other recent ride. Maybe it's a Sunday thing.

Plant Plant community Sky Branch Natural landscape

Natural landscape Trunk Sky Terrestrial plant World

·
Older than I feel
1,907 Posts
Another Long Ridge ride, stayed on the coast side of Skyline Bl. this time.

Grizzly Flat -> Peters Creek -> Ward Rd. -> connector trail with the bench -> Hickory Oaks -> Gate LR01 (crossing to Saratoga Gap) -> HIckory Oaks -> Turtle Rock -> Hickory Oaks -> connector -> Ward Rd. -> Long Ridge Road -> Long Ridge Trail -> connector fire road -> Peters Creek -> Grizzly Flat.

Weather was ideal - high 60s and clean air, slight haze be damned. My butt was dragging because I'd put in several hours yesterday hacking many dead branches off the tree in our front yard. So I didn't have the energy to take another crack at Saratoga Gap. Not one of my better riding days, but I didn't fall and I didn't flat, and when I wasn't gasping for breath on the uphills I was having a good time. Lots of hikers out. I only saw one group of cyclists crossing Skyline from Saratoga Gap, and never saw them again.

·
Inspector Gadget
Nor*Cal and I like bikes
1,187 Posts
Man Angwin is in the worst condition ive ever seen it in. Havent ridden up here in a long time and decided to head up on a whim, every trail i rode had massive tree blockage and so much erosion. If anyone wants to do some trail work up here soon, let me know, id love to bring a saw and help out cause this is honestly just sad.
They've been doing underbrush/tree clearing for fire protection. The private contractors that did the work don't give a damn about trails... it was much much worse earlier this year.

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
Rode at Annadel and Skyline this weekend... fog, no smoke and 60* was awesome! It was also new shoes day, broke my scott shoes in half and had been using my very old backup shimano's.

View attachment 1944954
View attachment 1944955
View attachment 1944956

Last photo of my son is after we made it to the top of the Thatcher Rim H.A.B. lol
View attachment 1944957
View attachment 1944958
View attachment 1944959
Poor kid, looks like you broke him on the climb. My son can crush me on any given climb. Two hours in and he is done, me plodding along at the same old slow pace. Have to take the advantages where you can get them.

• Haha
Reactions: abeckstead

·
Mtbr Founder
35,653 Posts
Much testing the xc bike.

The good news is I can tackle the 3500 foot rides with this. (aka Montebello, Stevens Canyon from my house). The bad news is it's not very fun.

My weekly emtb routes will become yearly routes with this one. :)

Bicycle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Bicycle wheel

It was 23.1 for a large with pedals but I changed the front tire, stem and dropper to something more usable.

Bicycle Tire Land vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

Bicycle Shorts Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle wheel
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant
Bicycle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Light
Tool Nickel Electric blue Metal Auto part

·
Inspector Gadget
Nor*Cal and I like bikes
1,187 Posts
Poor kid, looks like you broke him on the climb. My son can crush me on any given climb. Two hours in and he is done, me plodding along at the same old slow pace. Have to take the advantages where you can get them.
What's funny is that trail was his idea lol. He's an extremely strong climber/rider and I have zero chance of keeping up when he's on his Epic, here he's on his Capra. This H.A.B. climb is likely a double black diamond if you did it as a downhill... it's barely hike able and is extremely nasty in spots. When we got to the top I asked him how was that? He replied "I like riding my bike, not pushing it" lol

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Much testing the xc bike.

The good news is I can tackle the 3500 foot rides with this. (aka Montebello, Stevens Canyon from my house). The bad news is it's not very fun.

My weekly emtb routes will become yearly routes with this one. :)

View attachment 1944984

It was 23.1 for a large with pedals but I changed the front tire, stem and dropper to something more usable.

View attachment 1944985

View attachment 1944986 View attachment 1944987 View attachment 1944988 View attachment 1944989 View attachment 1944990 View attachment 1944991
So like a less impressive Epic Evo?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.