Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Formerly dvo
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Santa Cruz yesterday, Pacifica tomorrow, then ride with son on Monday. Lots of parties too.

My kids are leaving for college so pretty busy.
Yeah man! That the saddest part about my wife's friend, she was taking her daughter off to college....both gone in an instant. Got out there this morning and decided to Felton Empire....

Rode out into the burn zone....

and back.

This bike is amazing so far, dh speeds are a little slower through the rough stuff but it jumps and drops just fine as long as there are transitions and it climbs like a monkey on speed.

· Older than I feel
1,907 Posts
Same old Long Ridge ride... but this time went all the way to Saratoga Gap and back. No pix, sorry.

I had one minor mishap on Saratoga Gap trail. I lowsided (at low speed, fortunately) on a corner full of silt, and fell into some kind of vine with lots of small thorns. Got a minor scrape above one ankle out of it, no big deal. It could have been worse, I'll take thorns over poison oak any day.

@stripes - FYI the bike was OK.

The gnats were out in force and in my face in the forest today. Ugh.

Between the Long Ridge sessions and the Mere Mortals Thursday night Arastradero rides, the meager riding skills I had a decade ago are starting to come back. I cleaned all 4 uphill switchbacks on Peters Creek, didn't have to stop once on that stretch! Now if only I could lose 20 lbs and get my old aerobic fitness and endurance back. I was stopping to catch my breath a lot more frequently than I'd like.

· Registered
896 Posts
This bike is amazing so far, dh speeds are a little slower through the rough stuff but it jumps and drops just fine as long as there are transitions and it climbs like a monkey on speed.
How is this compared to your Tallboy? Seems like you've been working on getting the weight of the bike down, and I'm sure that's apparent on the climbs. How are they on the downhill?

· Formerly dvo
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How is this compared to your Tallboy? Seems like you've been working on getting the weight of the bike down, and I'm sure that's apparent on the climbs. How are they on the downhill?
Night and day difference, I took my Tallboy in the opposite direction, Push'd coil 36, CC coil rear shock, beafy wheels and tires. Damn thing is 32 lbs or so. I rode it today above Aptos and it soaks up the bumps so well. Felt strong enough today that the weight wasn't too bad. The Epic is a scalpel ( no offense Cannondale ), it pedals and rolls out better than any bike I have ever owned.

· Formerly dvo
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Annadel last night for cooler temps and Wilder today.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
You are a controversial guy among the Locs it seems, it seems to me they may have a point, having a tribe gathering out on an illegal trail system that is in brutal condition after a dry ass summer seems tone deaf among other things. Care to comment?

· Registered
5,055 Posts

Rode with Soares today. Ian took his Daughter back to college this weekend and let me say how sorry I am to hear about your wife's friend and daughter Dan. Our family and especially the Ex's side has also had a bad year. The wasp was hanging out with me at Peet's a foot away so I almost had to shoot him. Dan the man and his party of 5 riders all were stung at UC Santa Cruz last Sunday ... yellow Jackets. Kennedy road residence below. La Rusticana

· Registered
24 Posts
After about 640 miles in July, I took a week or so off and finally rode twice last week, albeit short rides. Wanted a ride yesterday and a longer ride today, but the AQI here in Placerville has been no lower than 130 since Friday, and a new 300 acre (so far) fire 10 miles away ain't gunna help. Moving back to the Santa Cruz area is taking longer than we hoped, wife has been applying to jobs like crazy, hoping to come down for about a week early September though!

Unless the smoke clears I'll be taking to the trainer and using TrainerRoad to try and retain my sanity.. though I've decided next year I want to target the Tahoe Trail 100, Downieville Classic and if I can get in, Leadville 100, so maybe I'm not so sane after all..

On the bright side, my boy turned 8 months old today, so while the smoke made it not such a good idea for a longer ride, I pedaled him around the driveway for his first ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
896 Posts
Night and day difference, I took my Tallboy in the opposite direction, Push'd coil 36, CC coil rear shock, beafy wheels and tires. Damn thing is 32 lbs or so. I rode it today above Aptos and it soaks up the bumps so well. Felt strong enough today that the weight wasn't too bad. The Epic is a scalpel ( no offense Cannondale ), it pedals and rolls out better than any bike I have ever owned.
Cripes...wasn't aware that you updated the suspension on your Tallboy. Makes more sense now. Thanks.

· Registered
2,435 Posts
A below-average ride around the lake today. Just not feeling it. Not much smoke at ground level but an oppressive overcast of it. Rolled a few features and skipped most others. Went to the little jumping spot and the roll in for the slightly bigger jump is so eroded it would require going over it like a drop... which obviously people are doing, just not me.

· Registered
2,336 Posts
My condolence for the sad loss, Dan. Peace to you and yours through the choppy waters.

AQ in Truckee got progressively worse all weekend. We mitigated particulate ingestion by shuttling. Stoked to see the lass riding well and ticking off features. One rider seen; we were finished before 10am.

Best wishes to firefighters and property owners.

· Inspector Gadget
Nor*Cal and I like bikes
1,192 Posts
Solo weekends rides for me, kid was busy and a buddy I made Sunday plans with had to back out.

Saturday just did my morning loop at Boggs, nothing special. Didn't smell smoke, but I felt like **** from the air Saturday afternoon.

Sunday I did three laps at Skyline to practice the trails and my lines for the Skyline Classic. Really hoping my new Tallboy shows up before this... but who knows. I can clear every obstacle on the course except that stupid steep & sharp first switchback on Chaparral just above the lake.

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Quick loop of Briones with my son, was fine down low, but smoky above about 1,000 feet. Long week, my wife tripped over her suitcase in the bathroom and hit her head bad last Sunday. Missing a bunch of memories, taste, emotions, and a laundry list of things that go with a bad concussion.

Reactions: chucko58 and She&I
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.