Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Formerly dvo
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing anything to mark the longest day of the year? I'm heading out to kick off #xcsummer with a 50 or so miler over to Aptos and back.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I had planned on full looping this morning but Knockturn collected wheel tax at about mile 9 mark. Smacked a rock and bent my rim to the point it wouldn’t hold air.

Also, pretty clear a truck got into the area last night and tore around leaving huge tire tracks all over the place. I found the point of entry and wired it back shut. Will go back up tonight with bailing wire and really lock it down.

That **** pisses me off. Why can’t they just be cool and joyride around on the rancher tracks? If they did, know one would know or care. Instead they roost broadies all over the untracked vegetation and leave ruts that will be there literally for years.

If you’re part of the Moto crowd. Help me understand!?!? Is it literally the whole point of Moto to make the ugliest scars possible and do the most damage as quickly as you can? Sure seems like it to me.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Beat the heat and hit Demo today around 7. Knocked out a 28 mile, 5300 footie day hitting Corral, Sawpit, Flow, and Braille. I be goddamn tired now and will probably binge eat till I go to bed. Nice and cool in there in the shade and relatively uncrowded today.

To the guy with a teal bike who passed me and the truck in front of me this morning on Summit Rd (neighborhood area), that was hecka lame dude. The truck in front of me literally pulled into his driveway moments after you passed. You make us look bad to people that live up there and all just so you can get to the parking lot 2 minutes sooner. Come on man...F&cking relax.
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.00.46 PM.png

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
To the guy with a teal bike who passed me and the truck in front of me this morning on Summit Rd (neighborhood area), that was hecka lame dude. The truck in front of me literally pulled into his driveway moments after you passed. You make us look bad to people that live up there and all just so you can get to the parking lot 2 minutes sooner. Come on man...F&cking relax. View attachment 1935737
And by teal you mean yeti turquoise? Classic Yeti owners. Lol

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,295 Posts
Of course I thought Solstice Trail was back open. Dern it. Im really trying not to roll that until we get the okay. I hit some Jose’s World today

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
SC and Evil come with those colors also...

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
UC today with Stikrd and B1ker... surprisingly quiet..everyone is at Duststar? Perfect weather, but summer blown out braking bump conditions....

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
More pie please
1,996 Posts
Yesterday was the annual Coe Solstice 10K ride. Paul, who used to post here as "Jack Burns" (a character in Lonely Are The Brave) and Shred Chic were the only ones to complete the full route. They went as deep as Mustang Peak where it was 106º!

Myself and two other Coe veterans, Chris and Eric, made a splinter group and rode what is a pretty standard route for me. The 5:45am start meant I had some wonderful early morning light to work with...

A pre-sunrise picture of the awesome shred chic:

I showed my group the rip-plow at the Hoover Airstrip and the 2021 version of Phoneline. Eric took us out to an overlook off of Pacheco Ridge Road. For his niceness he was rewarded with a punctured rear tire.

I too had flat tire problems; at Pacheco Camp I found that air was leaking like a sieve from my front tire. I dipped it in a water trough and air was escaping like a soapy, foaming sponge. Last Tuesday I had added a scoop of sealant to prevent this! For our Phoneline loop I pumped-up the tire a few times and when we returned to Pacheco Camp I put a tube in.

We decided that my tire problem was a sign not to go out any deeper...a very good decision. I know I was totally spent when I got back to the parking area.

Strava said "30.70 miles and 5,905 ft".

Wildlife: a pack of boars at Fish&Game Pond, a fox on Willow Ridge Road, and a Rattlesnake at Pacheco Camp.

Eric deciding if it would be a smart thing to climb out on the end of the rip plow:

Chris on the Hoover Airstrip:

Tasks at the Pacheco Camp sink:

Someone spotted a Rattler at the camp!

From Chris' camera, our group at the scorched section of Phoneline. Scott Z, center, got disconnected from the 10K group, found us at Pacheco Camp and rode with us the rest of the day:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Happy Fathers Day all you dads! Went for a standard ride. Nothing major but just wanted to get in a quick one in before the heat kicked up. Hope all Dads get a little air under their wheels today even if just for a bit. Creek Gap was buttery smooth on the Strive!

·
Formerly dvo
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Started off xcsummer with a banger of a ride from home, Glenwood Preserve, De La, Cabrillo , back along the cliffs, UC bike path via Humble Sea then home through Cowell. 55 miles and 4400'. Good numbers but my kid did 102 miles and 12000, Scotts Valley, UC, Aptos to Demo flow, back across town, WIlder, UC etc. Big ass rides rule.

New bike is a shredder, got a few more upgrades ( Enve cockpit when on last minute, thanks Lars! ) to do but dang! Need to work on my analog fitness but I'm happy with todays effort.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fully emptied the tank today, been trying to get myself back in shape for a bit here and have always wanted to do a big solstice ride. Figured a good way to go about it was to hit about everywhere you can ride a mountain bike in the Santa Cruz area. Overall felt pretty good, though on hindsight demo sure sucked for the amount of climbing it took to include it.

Maybe next year the solstice ride will be on a road bike for something less abusive on the body. I normally really like Dogs, but dropping into that at mile 87 on the XC bike was not super fun.

·
orthonormal
4,999 Posts
Something felt wrong for the first 45 minutes of my ride yesterday. Handling felt sketchy, I was pedal striking on climbs, and I generally felt off. Looking down, I noticed that I had maybe 50mm travel remaining at sag. No big deal, I was almost at the top of the Bear Mtn. climb. A bit of easy singletrack and a 2 mile road pedal to make it home. But of course, there is another trailhead that beckons at the top of that climb. Not the best choice on an XC bike and even less so with a fork very low on air. Super sketchy on the steeps and I skipped all of the jumps but I made it down in one piece. Legs felt good so I enjoyed the added climb on on my way out. And since I was making poor choices out there, I hit that little jump on the way out to Lockwood/Graham Hill with max speed and bottomed my fork one more time before heading home. Fork was 40 psi when I got home. I normally run 82-84.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,433 Posts
Had a fun group ride in Annadel. Started with 11 peeps and started off by playing on the trails around Howarth Park and Spring Lake. Lots of rocks and things to hop around on and was a great place for a couple of noobs to get used to their bikes. One of the noobs was one of my nephews and we wanted him to go home thinking, "this was fun, I want to ride again." instead of "this sucked, I'll never ride again." He peeled off with his dad and a couple of others while the rest of us rode on up into Annadel.

The park was packed with riders, hikers and families, so no bombing (which I'm not prone to do anyway). I did take an off course excursion flat on my back after trying to lift up and over a rock while climbing Louis. Got the front tire up and over easily enough only to have the rear tire spin instead of grip and climb. I knew it was bald, but dammit! I did a slow motion wheelie and went all the way over on my back. I landed in this super soft duff of leaves and twigs (and poison oak, ugh!) with nothing hurt but my pride. Got up dusted myself off and traveled on.

Ended with one pinch flat which turned into an extended stop, due to the rotor wanting to interfere with the anti-rattle clip on some Avid Elixers. We're old and the two guys fixing it kept saying, "Damn, I can't see anything without my glasses". I finally (with my near 60 year-old eyes) was able to remove the caliper, put the wheel in the drop out, then put the caliper back on, without the clip. The whole thing took WAY longer than it should have. Everyone else was drinking beer by the time we got back.

All in all a great Father's Day though.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts