Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Formerly dvo
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No significant rain in the forecast, everything is blown out as bad as it has ever been, trying to come up with clever rides to keep me entertained. The current project for this weekend is " everything Bear Mtn". Ride it all, every little connector, everything. Should be a hoot.

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Plant Tree

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
No significant rain in the forecast, everything is blown out as bad as it has ever been, trying to come up with clever rides to keep me entertained. The current project for this weekend is " everything Bear Mtn". Ride it all, every little connector, everything. Should be a hoot.

View attachment 1951699
That’s always a fun one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Downieville was absolutely bonkers today. You know how they describe Downieville as "Dirt Magic"? That was today. Everything was tacky and had grip for days. Super hyped that Transition Bikes was having their laps on us event today. We grabbed the 9am shuttle and had a blast.

I haven't had many days like that in recent memory that have been better on a bike.

Plant community Plant Blue Larch Sky
Bicycle Tire Wheel Sky Bicycle wheel
Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape Cloud
Sky Cloud Plant Daytime Mountain

·
Registered
598 Posts
First time riding Downieville, arrived mid-day. What a cool little town! Rode Sunrise, Butcher, 3rd, 1st. As villaphoto said above, trail conditions were great, some precipitation came down in the day before. The ride was awesome, doing 2 more shuttles today. Staying in town and was able to stream the Giants game in the room.

We were trying to decide between Pauley Creek vs Big Boulder, and just looked over some videos on YouTube, and we are going to go with Big Boulder.

(UCSC on Friday afternoon was empty and a bit blown out, but still a great time.)

·
the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,934 Posts
yesterday was my first ride ANYWHERE in marin during 2021. somehow, my buddy mr. wilson was able to wrangle a block of time away from the family and off to china camp we went.

wilson wanted to explore the "back side" of china camp and since he's not one hundred percent familiar with the route, i reluctantly agreed to show him again--since i haven't been riding much this year, my skills and timing have atrophied considerably. after paying our fees and climbing to bridge 14, i realized i'd seriously overdressed, so we stopped at bridge 14 so i could lose my sleeveless base layer. i always empty my jersey pockets when i strip layers and in doing so, i put a Very Important Pouch on a wooden bridge post...

fast forward to the junction of a steep and hot paved road leading to the helipad which is the jumping off point for the more technically challenging trails in and around china camp, where i reached to grab my Very Important Pouch normally found in my left rear jersey pocket to get myself some Herbal Pain Relief and Mood Enhancement and it wasn't there. i quickly realized i'd brain farted and left the pouch on the wooden post at bridge 14, so wilson and i enjoyed a premature but entertaining descent back to the bridge where my pouch was exactly where i had left it.

(i have left this pouch at china camp before and found it the following day)

we decided there might not be enough daylight left to deal with the narrow and exposed trails on the "backside" of china camp, so we rode what could be considered a standard loop, which includes the disappointingly sanitized trails on the flat, eastern side of the park. at any rate, it was a very fun ride, and i'm glad i was able to retrieve my pouch because (1) timbuk2 don't make those pouch no more (2) i've had that pouch for twenty plus years and (3) i always ride better when i'm mildly stoned.

one thing i realized during this ride is that if you don't use it, you lose it, especially at age fifty nine years and ten months.

happy trails, everyone!

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Map Font Rectangle Line Parallel

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Didn’t get as far as wanted, my legs wouldn’t cooperate (stupid medication). Still a good day and shuttled my son for a couple of Tyrolian runs.

Edited to add a photo from 2012, the first time he rode it with me when he was 9.
Sky Bicycle Mountain Shorts Tire

Sky Water Mountain Plant Highland
Bicycle Sky Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Plant

·
orthonormal
5,144 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Downieville was absolutely bonkers today. You know how they describe Downieville as "Dirt Magic"? That was today. Everything was tacky and had grip for days. Super hyped that Transition Bikes was having their laps on us event today. We grabbed the 9am shuttle and had a blast.

I haven't had many days like that in recent memory that have been better on a bike.
Thanks for the ride report! After reading your post on Saturday night, I decided to take a chance and head up on Sunday morning, without a shuttle reservation. Rolled into Downieville at 9 ish and booked the earliest available seat which was at 3 pm. Damn, that's late! But wait: turns out there was a cancellation on the 11 am shuttle so I got to hop onboard. Hecks yes.

The dirt today was the best that I have ever experienced in d-ville and I was able to score two runs which is a first for me. Sweet.

Thanks again for the conditions beta!

·
More pie please
2,009 Posts
somewhere around 70 miles in Coe, fantastic conditions, loved every singletrack I got. The fireroads in between, not so much. Which Bear Mountain are you referring to in the first post - the soul crusher in Coe? I don't think so...
View attachment 1951846
Seeing your bike, I think we may have passed each other on Saturday. Were you climbing up China Hole Trail ~1 - 2pm? It was roughly in the area of the Cougar Trail intersection.

I was descending on my way to Blue Tank:

Further down the trail I saw VIN829.

Beautiful day out there.

///Charlie

·
Mtbr Founder
35,655 Posts
Road to the boat ramp at Stevens Creek reservoir with the ole lady.

That ramp is sooo far from the dwindling water that it's crazy. Saw some fish jumping in the small pool. Any bets if it will completely dry up. I say it pretty much has no chance since the filling power on a good year happens in January.
Sky Plant Truck Ecoregion Wheel
Glasses Sky Smile Helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Sky Plant Natural landscape Bedrock Vegetation
Water Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape

·
Registered
92 Posts
Seeing your bike, I think we may have passed each other on Saturday. Were you climbing up China Hole Trail ~1 - 2pm? It was roughly in the area of the Cougar Trail intersection.

I was descending on my way to Blue Tank:

Further down the trail I saw VIN829.

Beautiful day out there.

///Charlie
Yup, that was me! Gorgeous day for sure.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.