Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Been riding late afternoons with lights for the pavement ride home. November will bring the big lights out.
Maybe some rain? Someday?

·
the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,230 Posts
today, i waited a long time before i suited out and ventured into the park. work has been grueling and i needed half the day to just rest.

when i did roll through the park, i kept my routes easy, knowing i'd have to clip on the lights heading back from ocean beach:

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 8.59.06 PM.jpg

however, by the time i got a little more than halfway through my ride the light started to fail and the niteriders got clipped to the bars and helmet soon after i stopped to get this image on a favorite section of singletrack through a grassy area in the south central area of the park:

IMG-7754 (1).jpg

this evening, i mildly surprised myself by riding over a big exposed root not far from this place, especially since i was aboard a rigid steel singlespeed. on my 5010, i can just bash into things, on the monkey, bashing straight into some objects might send a man ass-over-ankles.

this little root section used to be much more exposed and will catch a pedal coming uphill if you're not paying attention:

IMG-7755 (1).jpg

after pedaling the easiest trails and fire lanes in the western end of golden gate park to ocean beach, it was time to pedal back home, where i stopped to check out the big ferris wheel that's been erected near the exploratorium:

IMG-7757 (1).jpg

i'm not sure about my riding plans over the next few days, as tomorrow is New Kitten Day at my place. i've arranged for the adoption of these two fine eight week old fellows from a rescue organization called saving grace. their names will be melvin and marvin:

IMG_4463-1.jpeg

that concludes my first ride report for the week; hopefully i'll get another chance or two to head out after work in the next few days.

happy trails, everyone!!!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Cutting back on posting but today was so glorious hard not too! 13 local showing one of the locals the new stuff. So frickin good :)

Pics are of some of the older trails but the new stuff is so good didn’t want to stop and break up the flow! Oh, and I’m nursing a broken big toe right now but ain’t gonna stop me from riding, it’s just a flesh wound!

The Half Pipe is always photogenic :)

Dropzone is ALWAYS a crowd pleaser!

The broken toe looking more broken by the minute lol:)

Haven’t provided a trail update in awhile. The new trail, “Lazarus Taxon” is now getting jumps added. Added a killer hip yesterday and since I had the chainsaw up, cut and staged wood for the next two box / gap jumps. Looking forward to making **** spicy :)

Attachments

·
Formerly dvo
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had a great weekend up in the mountains. Downieville downhill yesterday, Hoot/Scott’s/Miners today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
672 Posts
42 miles of singlespeed gravel fun in the headlands. It’s been years since I rode through Tennessee valley and based on the number of clueless weekend warriors it’ll be years before I ride through again.

IMG_2914.jpg
IMG_2934.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Auburn Thurs, Downieville Friday, Christmas Valley Sat and Nevada City today..

Thank God family was ok....

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
Post-ride at Demo today

Everytime I go to demo I ride then leave. Every time I go to demo I see several groups hanging out like it’s a campsite.

That looks ridiculously fun, and is yet more evidence piling up that I’m doing demo wrong. All wrong.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Everytime I go to demo I ride then leave. Every time I go to demo I see several groups hanging out like it’s a campsite.

That looks ridiculously fun, and is yet more evidence piling up that I’m doing demo wrong. All wrong.
Definitely not encouraging it, since Demo parking lot is already a zoo (and should be courtesy about parking spaces), but if someone were selling hot links there, I'd hesitate a bit but then buy like three or four.

·
Nobody
655 Posts
Auburn Thurs, Downieville Friday, Christmas Valley Sat and Nevada City today..

Thank God family was ok....

Brian, are the damaged cranks a result of this car accident? Or is it time to upgrade to SixC?

·
Nobody
655 Posts
Definitely not encouraging it, since Demo parking lot is already a zoo (and should be courtesy about parking spaces), but if someone were selling hot links there, I'd hesitate a bit but then buy like three or four.
Yeah, if you could get a permit to have a hot dog cart in the parking lot, you would sell out by 1pm every day.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,133 Posts
Hawk's peak

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
No...it happened in Downieville.

snapped a crank arm like this mid summer. it wasn't one big impact to crank either....probably a cumulative beating it had taken. i thought it was my cleats at first but then the pedal just fell right off. I had SLs...my buddy hooked me with Rs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Also rode Downieville this weekend, can confirm that despite the dust the trails are running awesome! Get it before the snow comes. Greg at Downieville Outfitters is still running shuttles too (everyone wears masks).

·
Registered
739 Posts
Rode downieville on saturday, except i climbed up from union flat. easy peasy.

Pack saddle loop has more braking bumps than a late summer demo flow! everything else good, although third divide is so dusty. Had the unfortunate luck to follow a group of 10 and then having to pass nearly all of them, so i had a literal caking of dust in my chin bar. might have to take the road less traveled (second divide?) next weekend.

Sunday i rode st charles hill which is quickly becoming my favorite trail in downieville. very old school, but getting out there is ass haha

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rode most of Skeggs today. As a result of the high winds, there's a good amount of vegetation on the trail including limbs (though nothing that can't be moved away). Moved several of the larger branches and limbs off to the side this morning.

·
遅すぎ
431 Posts
Rode Demo for the first time in 14 months (visiting my folks); couple of things I noticed. Most number of cars in the lot for a Monday afternoon I've seen in 15 years of riding there. Group ride endurobros in force, no social distancing (not shaming, maybe they are housemates or something). The number of braking bumps on even low speed corners is absolutely insane. Anything high speed is completely chewed up, to the point where I wish I had my enduro rig to smooth things out, rather than my trail bike. Is it the # of new/inexperienced riders/lack of rain/ebikes/#dentisttribe from this weekend? Flow trail I kinda get, but ridge has never been this bad, ever. Maybe will try sawpit instead next time. Anywhere to responsibly ride that isn't destroyed (by fire or overuse)?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Last time I rode Sawpit there were times I thought "this is what skiing on the moon will feel like." Crazy moon dust, but tbh, the sketchiness made Sawpit more fun.

Rode the oink related trails my last visit there. Some serious moon dust on the steep short downslope bits, I'm unfamiliar with those trails and probably thought it was sketchier than what it is.

State is bone dry.

(Demo and anything resembling social distancing? Not happening.)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts