Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Singletrack Addict
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plan was to take four days this weekend, load up the van, throw in the kids and bikes and head up towards Mt St Helens. There are three of us fathers and 6 kids.

Now the weather doesn't look so cooperative. Change of plans? Or in true Oregonian gritty fashion, tough it out and bring some extra tarps and decks of cards?

Yo, Bendites! How's the weather on the other side? I was voting for Paulina Lake. Am I missing someplace? Any suggestions for a family friendly spot that will feed a father's need for some choice rides?

Oakridge? We're thinkingt about the Mid-Fork area. One of us has a hard-on for Waldo, but I'm asserting the bugs might carry off our youngest child.

Looking for advice and recommendations. Don't need sarcasm and ridicule.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
I'd say suck it up and go for Mt St Helens. Kids will love the area!

BUT, if you want to whimp out, the weather is forecast to be pretty darn good in Oakridge. Slight chance of showers on saturday, none on sunday. In fact, I know of a few folks who will be riding Waldo saturday, so you're not crazy to consider it. And of course all the great campsites along the Middle Fork that are free don't hurt to sweeten the deal.

Has Bend seen enough rain to firm up the trails? if so, it may be a good window of opportunity.

·
Registered
211 Posts
"One of us has a hard-on for Waldo, but I'm asserting the bugs might carry off our youngest child."

LOL!!! When do the bugs go away at Waldo, mid August?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Not so lucky..normally

AllOver said:
"One of us has a hard-on for Waldo, but I'm asserting the bugs might carry off our youngest child."

LOL!!! When do the bugs go away at Waldo, mid August?
Usually I figure that by the middle of Sept it's really safe. It does get better by mid Aug, but it depends on how wet of a year it's been. As dry as this year has been, mid August is actually a pretty good bet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mudflaps said:
Usually I figure that by the middle of Sept it's really safe. It does get better by mid Aug, but it depends on how wet of a year it's been. As dry as this year has been, mid August is actually a pretty good bet.
Very nice to hear, I think I'll head on down there around August 25th.

The only time I've ever been I went a little too late in the season and there was snow on the west side of the lake. After riding about 5 miles in dry conditions I hit the snow and it was the 1st time I'd been in the snow on a bike. My disc brakes quickly starting making a very loud high squeal noise that I would guess could be easily heard all the way across the lake so I decided to turn around and call it a ride so as to not disturb others out there.

Even though I only rode 5 miles of the trail I fell in love with it. I can't wait to go ride the whole thing in August!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts