Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the family and i were gonna head out to buffalo creek for the weekend and do some camping and riding. anybody up that way got a visual on conditions?? will it dry out fast up there with all that pea gravel?? should i scrap it or give it a shot. love the rain and snow, just hate the timing!!

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
I can't see ANY of this causing a problem there, it was on the dry side this past weekend. I'm sure someone in the know will chime in.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Should be dry by this weekend...

I was up there today trying to get a ride in before this weather hit. Started to re-think my route when the rain started to fall, then REALLY re-think it when the snow started. Hands and feet were freezing by the time I got back to the car, but still got in 30 miles . I was up there two or three weeks ago and got nailed mid-ride by a blizzard, the temperature had dropped from 48 deg. to just 32 in just an hour, and everything (including me) was covered in snow. At least things dry up quick up there, you should be safe this weekend, have fun.

·
Registered
528 Posts
We're headed there...

billybobzia said:
so the family and i were gonna head out to buffalo creek for the weekend and do some camping and riding. anybody up that way got a visual on conditions?? will it dry out fast up there with all that pea gravel?? should i scrap it or give it a shot. love the rain and snow, just hate the timing!!

I'm going to bring my girl and the bikes for a little biking/ camping break to Buff Creak as well. Any suggestions on the good camping sites?

Maybe we can ditch the girls and hook up for an extra ride... Let me know where your going to camp...

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we will be camping along Forest service rd 550, not exactly sure where, but somewhere between S deckers rd (126) and the two pay campgrounds. look for a red f150 and a pop up camper, maybe 2. should be a few of us.
bill

·
Registered
307 Posts
More update, please

I've got a group ride scheduled for Sunday morning for Buffalo Creek to Waterton. If a local would please provide a more detailed update on current snow conditions it would be MOST appreciated. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Other than being a little chilly at night...

shouldn't be too much of a problem. Most of the snow melted off today and with sunny weather on the way, it will be dry in no time. You can always go to www.pinecam.com and look at the live cam shot from Pine Junction. That's a pretty good indicator. Good luck and have fun.

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are you serious??

if not, its out towards bailey, left at pine junction, can find your way out to forest service rd 550 and ride or pine valley ranch, turn right just before the town of pine. fun area, nothing to technical, but you can get some nice long rides in

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
snowskilz said:
wheres buffalo creek

dude....ok. this is meant in a nice way, no bashing.

no one is going to show you any "secret trail stash" if you don't even make an effort to find some basic front range trails on your own.

use the review section of this site. buy a few guide books (or look at them in the library/bookstore if you can't afford to buy them)
search online. ask in some shops.

didn't you profess to only having ridden a total of three trails since you moved here? there is a ton of stuff out there. and i'm saying this as someone who only knows a tiny bit of the stuff around me, but has found a lot more in the year that i've lived here. but....i'm going and riding and exploring it on my own, much of the time. don't depend on others to do you trailfinding work for you.

if someone wants to show you something, great. respect that and thank them, and don't go posting all about where it is and so on. that'll just ensure they never show you anything else in the future.

edited to add: to those who've shown me a few stash things; thank you. much appreciated. can't wait to see more!

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes free camping along 550

weekend turned out great, short ride friday afternoon - perfect trail conditions. 3.5 hour ride saturday and 2.5 hours on sunday. lots of fun, trails are in nice shape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts