Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday we went to El Mapa a 10 km ride Its just a very heavy climb on a fireroad (similar to La Joya, on Sn. Miguel) and a pretty fast downihill on singletrack, lots of roots and very slipery. It's a good thing to know that there has been a cleanning campaign on that valley. It's a beautifull place completly litered by the processions going to la villa and to chalma. The bad thing is that there has been a lot of loging activity on one of the top valleys...
Sunday went to Sn. Miguel I tried to do the climb as Mada suggested, started from... the quecas near the highway, from there to El pantano, where there is fence and a banner "No bikes allowed" or something like that. Talked with the guy at the guard house and he told me that bikes were not allowed because of the trucks ussing the road up, -you can pass just be carefull. It was a nice climb, heavy but a lot more doable that from the other side. It only has 3 very difficult spots. I only reached to the same spot as last time (near the tower) there was a lot of fog wich worsened a lot, so I decided to call it a day and go back, the going down was a blast, although I didn't keep speed for a lot of time, as there were a lot of people going up.
This time I lucked with the pesero as it didn't made the going home an interesting downhill affaire.

El Rivas
ps. didn't teke too many pictures, maybe next time!
 

Attachments

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Rivas!! Cool rides!!

Thanks for sharing... Yeah, Deiserto is foggy in this season. Looks amazing in the lower parts but should be kind frightening up there.

Even Chiluca was a bit foggy at some parts on the forest. But I think it was just mist. From the top of the Eses, you could see below some parts of the forest covered by mist... it looked pretty cool and unusual for that area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,480 Posts
Yeah, really cool ride. It is a great seasson to ride, except if you got to be out there when it´s raining. Other than than, the grass is green (like paradise city) and the ground is tacky.

About the fog, sometimes the higher you go the less fog you´ll find. I been riding in places where in the lower land is foggy or even rainy, but once you get to higher ground is like a whole completely world with sunshine and nice weather. really cool.

Anyways, thanks for sharing Arivas

Warp said:
Rivas!! Cool rides!!

Thanks for sharing... Yeah, Deiserto is foggy in this season. Looks amazing in the lower parts but should be kind frightening up there.

Even Chiluca was a bit foggy at some parts on the forest. But I think it was just mist. From the top of the Eses, you could see below some parts of the forest covered by mist... it looked pretty cool and unusual for that area.
 

·
Mexican e-rider
Joined
·
977 Posts
Cool rides Rivas, I finally got a well deserved ride on sunday too. I went to el Desierto and did the usual loop with a few variations, its really good to get back on the bike.

Warp: I used a little more pressure on the NN (30 front, 35 rear) and they behaved really well, I think I was a little tough on them on my first review, they hook up very decent. My only gripe right now is that they tend to hold a lot of mud when compared to a Nevegal another friend was riding. They roll really well and were more grippy this time around (I think I had too little pressure on them, imagine that!)

Anyway, its too bad I inflated them to 70 psi to see if this would increase traction and they just blew up the sidewalls on the firs bunnyhop!!! What a POS. Let me know when you want them back!
 

·
Me hates pinchflat
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
elmadaleno said:
Cool rides Rivas, I finally got a well deserved ride on sunday too. I went to el Desierto and did the usual loop with a few variations, its really good to get back on the bike.

Warp: I used a little more pressure on the NN (30 front, 35 rear) and they behaved really well, I think I was a little tough on them on my first review, they hook up very decent. My only gripe right now is that they tend to hold a lot of mud when compared to a Nevegal another friend was riding. They roll really well and were more grippy this time around (I think I had too little pressure on them, imagine that!)

Anyway, its too bad I inflated them to 70 psi to see if this would increase traction and they just blew up the sidewalls on the firs bunnyhop!!! What a POS. Let me know when you want them back!
stop the tire talk!
oh well Ill join in. Yesterday, I increased the pressure on my highroller by 1 to 1.618 in proportion of my rear tire pressure. I instantly felt a GREAT difference. I felt that the side lugs gripped the roots better, although the grip failed in certain rocks, particularly those that had a volume greater than 45cm cubed. Straight line control increased in gravel, although I did notice that more gravel was thrown at the downtube than before. Mid ride, I decided to let 1PSI of air from the Highroller. OMGZORZ!!!111!!!one I think I found the sweet spot. It excels in everything except dust over mid density hardpack with 15% humidity. :crazy: :crazy: :ihih: :ciappa: :sleep: I think I will have to buy another tire when I ride this specific terrain.


Actually, I did tear a side lug from my highroller on sunday..
 

·
Mexican e-rider
Joined
·
977 Posts
545cu4ch said:
stop the tire talk!
oh well Ill join in. Yesterday, I increased the pressure on my highroller by 1 to 1.618 in proportion of my rear tire pressure. I instantly felt a GREAT difference. I felt that the side lugs gripped the roots better, although the grip failed in certain rocks, particularly those that had a volume greater than 45cm cubed. Straight line control increased in gravel, although I did notice that more gravel was thrown at the downtube than before. Mid ride, I decided to let 1PSI of air from the Highroller. OMGZORZ!!!111!!!one I think I found the sweet spot. It excels in everything except dust over mid density hardpack with 15% humidity. :crazy: :crazy: :ihih: :ciappa: :sleep: I think I will have to buy another tire when I ride this specific terrain.QUOTE]

Dude: check your math, you have it all wrong :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
elmadaleno said:
Warp: I used a little more pressure on the NN (30 front, 35 rear) and they behaved really well, I think I was a little tough on them on my first review, they hook up very decent. My only gripe right now is that they tend to hold a lot of mud when compared to a Nevegal another friend was riding. They roll really well and were more grippy this time around (I think I had too little pressure on them, imagine that!)

Anyway, its too bad I inflated them to 70 psi to see if this would increase traction and they just blew up the sidewalls on the firs bunnyhop!!! What a POS. Let me know when you want them back!
Hey, glad you liked them!!!

I was a bit tough on the Rampage too... it felt much better yesterday. No changes, just the dirt was looser. I guess the trail conditions are changing and we got "tender sticky mud" on the first rides. Now the dirt (mud) is looser, tyres have something to bite into.

545... You're just lealous, punk.:p :D

Actually, I read a review on some Bontrager tyre on Descent-world.co.uk and it stated (joking) how nowadays you have to know something on meteorology, geology, physics, and engineering to choose the right tyre.

Unfortunately, it holds some water... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! Yes there is a lot of clearance in that frame, I already had one of those "interesting" dismountings on the merida and, well, it was somewhat painfull....!

El Rivas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I know off the Pus.siness in the Turners, can help it! I Promess whenever I grow up I'll ride an intense 6.6 or an Mk.III... Really like those bikes, unfortunately I can't fit one more bike in either house, nor would the budget allow it...
There is a guy here riding the intense and although it is hard for him on the climbs on the downhill part it looks as if he was going on paved surface!

El Rivas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to both of you for looking! The fog was indeed scary at that height there was a point where I could barely see infront of my tyre, so riding alone on those conditions didn't seemed wise... whe I began the climb the top was perfectly clear, in fact the lower parts of desierto were humid but clear, so I figured i was hitting the front of some storm, anyway it was a nice ride, even with some jerk roadies I found on the road part... Such beautiful bikes, and so little consideration for the peolpe that share that road. Fortunately had a bit more legs, left them and smelled again the woods and not some hugobossckwhatever cocktail.

El Rivas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad you are back in the saddle, I think we are doing Nevado from parque de los venados this saturday (with the guys from the work) and really hope I can make it to Axosco on Sunday, are you comming? It's really a nice place to ride!

El Rivas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm also one of those not gifted to feel the subtleties of wheels, I only know that maxis larsens skid more than dtc navegal, minions erode quiquer than said dtc's and that big apples cushion a lot more than any of the previous...
I even thought fat was 2.1 and skinny 1.95...! Maybe on next life I'll try to learn something on that topic...

El Rivas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I have that same tyre! I know that it slips less than the larsens as when slipping backwards you can break with it!

El Rivas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why should I stop! Spamming is a good activity while waitting for results, which may take up to 8hrs. sooo, relax and enjoy...!

El Rivas
 
1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Top