Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post them here, no matter how trivial.

Or are you just one of those folks that argue on the interwebs all the time but don't actually take the time to enjoy the ride :skep: .

Rensho and the gang are in Whistler. And then a few are headed up to Oregon.
fc

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Ban any of those fools who post a report from Wizzler or pictures of their hot tub or pancakes with Blackcomb. I painted this weekend FML but the Doc cleared me to ride the stationary bike, that counts right?

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
My first, ever, cyclocross race is on 9/19 and so I'm "training" (yeah, training so I can get SMOKED by others... oh well... it's all good) and I did 45 min. of straight, all out intervals, non-stop, no breaks on my SSCX bike. I'm reconsidering taking my geared bike, though.

My loop is at STP and is about 1.6 miles of a paved elevation gain of a couple of hundred feet, then it shoots up a steep climb that gets the legs and lung burning, then up and over a curb to a fast dirt descend, U-turn, then loop around and do it again.

There was a family having a picnic at the top of the hill and I think after about the 3rd time I passed them, they were probably thinking I was nuts.

You don't realize how long 45 min. is when you're all-out sprinting. It was friggin' exhausting. I'm going to work on harder intervals at shorter time lengths.

-> Tell me if this is possible - that I'm better at the fast twitch, sprinty type riding than the long extended climbing type riding? I literally get killed on the long climbs, but the short bursts of energy I'm alright at. Wondering if there was a reason why I could run relays, handle a BMX bike quite well and power lift weights. Intervals don't hurt me as much as long extended climbs do. Conversely, some people are sucking air on the short power bursts and not on the longer climbs.

Can you cycling gurus makes sense of this to me... or is this just me sucking in general? :confused:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Loma Alta on Friday, Pine Mtn Loop Saturday, riding to grocery store in the AM and then in PM for beers at Iron Springs and food on Sunday. Last night, before the beers, I experienced my first tire blowout during a sharp left hand turn on pavement. Now I have some minor road rash and some scratched up brifters =(

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I dont know why most people like to ride in the morning but I prefer the evening. beautiful solo skeggs ride finished up at 8 just as it was getting dark and I was the only car left in the lot. the flow you can get when you know your route and dont have to stop for anything is amazing. manzanita->timberview->giant salamader made one huge downhill run as well as fir->reso->north leaf

http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/44832210

·
Mtbr Founder
35,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been struggling to get healthy so all my rides are with kids!

This is the Friday ride. I've upgrading my daughter's allyecat and I found a fixie handlebar that will be pefect for her!!

Saturday, Miguel and I went up to St. Joes. He did the singletrack at the top 5x and really upped his confidence.

Sunday, Miguel and I were just starting out at Wilder and he was soo happy. But then a bee stung him on the cheek and another one on the head. He's never been stung by anything sot that was a shock for him. Straight home but no doctor visit since he's not allergic. In the afternoon, I snuck out for a ride to Fremont Older, Montebello but then I got a flat tire on the other side of the hill. I didn't have a crescent wrench to remove the rear wheel so it was rescue cell phone time. Ha, ha... fail day.

fc

Attachments

·
Feral Roadie
735 Posts
Dion said:
-> Tell me if this is possible - that I'm better at the fast twitch, sprinty type riding than the long extended climbing type riding? I literally get killed on the long climbs, but the short bursts of energy I'm alright at. Wondering if there was a reason why I could run relays, handle a BMX bike quite well and power lift weights. Intervals don't hurt me as much as long extended climbs do. Conversely, some people are sucking air on the short power bursts and not on the longer climbs.

Can you cycling gurus makes sense of this to me... or is this just me sucking in general? :confused:
What's your BMI? Power/weight ratio pretty much determines everything on a long climb. On shorter flatter stuff, it matters more how much power you can output rather than watts/kilogram.

Sounds like you have the right mix of skills for cyclo-cross.

_ Booker C Bense

·
~~~
2,036 Posts
Wife scored me some tickets to watch the Giants' only winner this weekend on Saturday. Then, on Sunday, I got my first tour here! Soooo worth the drive down from SF. :thumbsup:

I missed the last couple of group rides down here. So I jumped at the chance and hooked up with Carbon7 for a ride yesterday. We got in about 19 miles of what seemed like endless singletrack with perfect SC weather.
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
We did HITG on Saturday, such an awesome place to ride. Parking area at the beginning of the fire road was full when we arrived at 11:00 but never saw another person on the trail after Andesite Peak. Haven't been there in 2 years and I had forgotten just how beautiful it is up there. Flowers in the meadows were still in full bloom, seas of purple and yellow.The steps at the end seemed much rougher than I remembered and the right hand hairpin half way through was crazy.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
One big fat extended

I guess it's been kind of one big extended weekend, here's my Oakridge diary to date:

Monday Aug 9. - Caught a shuttle w. Randy D and did Alpine/Tire/Cloverpatch w/friends

Tuesday Aug. 10 - Caught a ride and did Goodman

Wednesday Aug. 11 - Took a day off

Thursday Aug. 12 - Took a wrong turn, and rode from town, up to Little Bunchgrass on 2804/286 then back down Eugene to Crest/Heckletooth/Aubrey and in to town.

Friday Aug. 13 - The lower part of Alpine

Saturday Aug. 14 - 40 mile road ride along the Middle Fork to Rd. 1928 and back down High Prairie Rd.

Sunday Aug 15 - Up 1910 Alpine/Tire Mountain/Cloverpatch down to Northshore Rd. and back to Westfir.

Monday Aug. 16 - Lower part of Alpine

And later this week...

Middlefork from Timpangos Lake

Umpqua Dread and Terror/Deers Leap sections

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Rode from Aptos to Santa Rosalia and back on some tasty breakfast meat. After some dreary weather here on the coast, yesterday was just what the doctor ordered.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tburger said:
I missed the last couple of group rides down here. So I jumped at the chance and hooked up with Carbon7 for a ride yesterday. We got in about 19 miles of what seemed like endless singletrack with perfect SC weather.
Nice dude. I was on the same area yesterday and we would have seen you guys but that's where my kid got stung.

fc

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
jms said:
I guess it's been kind of one big extended weekend, here's my Oakridge diary to date:

Monday Aug 9. - Caught a shuttle w. Randy D and did Alpine/Tire/Cloverpatch w/friends

Tuesday Aug. 10 - Caught a ride and did Goodman

Wednesday Aug. 11 - Took a day off

Thursday Aug. 12 - Took a wrong turn, and rode from town, up to Little Bunchgrass on 2804/286 then back down Eugene to Crest/Heckletooth/Aubrey and in to town.

Friday Aug. 13 - The lower part of Alpine

Saturday Aug. 14 - 40 mile road ride along the Middle Fork to Rd. 1928 and back down High Prairie Rd.

Sunday Aug 15 - Up 1910 Alpine/Tire Mountain/Cloverpatch down to Northshore Rd. and back to Westfir.

Monday Aug. 16 - Lower part of Alpine

And later this week...

Middlefork from Timpangos Lake

Umpqua Dread and Terror/Deers Leap sections

Get a job and stop having fun please. You're making me angry.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Good day at Annadel, hitting all the good stuff. Bike Monkey had a survey booth there, so I got some bottles, stickers, snacks. Good stuff.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Rode from my apartment in the Inner Richmond to the top of Tam on Saturday with as much dirt as possible. Through headlands down to Muir and then up. Dropped down to Mill Valley on railroad grade and gorged myself at Joes Tacos. 40 miles and 5,100 feet.

Sunday I went to the gym with my wife with the intention of getting a nice easy recovery on a elliptical or something. Ended up on a super cool stationary bike I had never seen before with moving handlebars and race courses on a TV monitor. So much for an easy recovery. I was crushing myself trying to beat the pace guy on the monitor for 45 minutes. I need one of those in my apartment!

Good times, good times.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts