Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I said I'd try to do a better job of posting ride reports to keep that Ventana Mojo going, but the sad fact is it was pretty much a washout of a weekend weather-wise. D-Rock and I did manage to get out Saturday morning for a cold, wet morning ride before the real rains started. Wasn't so bad once we got moving, but that first lap was numbing! I forgot my glasses and there is nothing like cold air in your face to get your eyes running. We had a good time though, and Darryl's bike is just beautiful. I got to ride it a little, but those big, wide handlebars would take some getting used to! I can't wait to see him try to weave those through some of the tighter sections we come across.

Let's hear from some of the others who were able to get some time on the dirt!

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
Ride report - you're a nut! Saturday morning was uuuuugly!
Let's try to ride Chicopee with D-Rick. If those bars are as wide as you say, I'd like to set up just past those two trees towards the end of Champaign Hill. Heh heh heh.
Speaking of which, there's a new bypass to the left of where the trail spits out by waterworks. That's kinda wrong, I like that little techie section.
Mid-week boondoggle?

Hey, did the old Salty have those wrap around gussets? They look badazz!

·
Registered
753 Posts
LoneStar said:
I know I said I'd try to do a better job of posting ride reports to keep that Ventana Mojo going, but the sad fact is it was pretty much a washout of a weekend weather-wise. D-Rock and I did manage to get out Saturday morning for a cold, wet morning ride before the real rains started. Wasn't so bad once we got moving, but that first lap was numbing! I forgot my glasses and there is nothing like cold air in your face to get your eyes running. We had a good time though, and Darryl's bike is just beautiful. I got to ride it a little, but those big, wide handlebars would take some getting used to! I can't wait to see him try to weave those through some of the tighter sections we come across.

Let's hear from some of the others who were able to get some time on the dirt!
Here in the UK 9 Ventana owners and there mates rode at Thetford. It is a forest mainly of Pine trees surrounded by US air bases. There are many miles of singletrack here. The bomb holes we play in are real ones from the war. It was 4 degrees and bright and not to muddy. We were out for six hours and Dan was riding an El Ceurvo his legs were dead at the end. My camera shutter speed is to slow to get any good action shots so here is a shot of some of the bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
ajr said:
Here in the UK 9 Ventana owners and there mates rode at Thetford. It is a forest mainly of Pine trees surrounded by US air bases. There are many miles of singletrack here. The bomb holes we play in are real ones from the war. It was 4 degrees and bright and not to muddy. We were out for six hours and Dan was riding an El Ceurvo his legs were dead at the end. My camera shutter speed is to slow to get any good action shots so here is a shot of some of the bikes.
One of the bombholes.

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
moclan said:
How do you get over those roots ????
Slide under?

Unless the picture is deseptive I don't think I could get the wheels over that? I'd have to start a wheelie rightt from the start ... then crash
You jump straight out over them and land at the bottom.

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd have to agree. That looks like one steep drop-in with a lot of nastiness thrown in to boot! Looks like those bomb craters are still causing destruction 60 years later!

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RedRocker said:
Ride report - you're a nut! Saturday morning was uuuuugly!
Let's try to ride Chicopee with D-Rick. If those bars are as wide as you say, I'd like to set up just past those two trees towards the end of Champaign Hill. Heh heh heh.
Speaking of which, there's a new bypass to the left of where the trail spits out by waterworks. That's kinda wrong, I like that little techie section.
Mid-week boondoggle?

Hey, did the old Salty have those wrap around gussets? They look badazz!
I think they did, but with that new bling headbadge, it looks like the gusset kind of frames it. I am up for a mid-week boondoggle. Probably Wednesday with as wet as it is. Hopefully these new Spiders will be all that. I can't wait to see D-Rock try squeeze through that exact spot at Chicopee. Cameras will be rolling. And he has to take it at normal speed. No wussing out!

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
RedRocker said:
If those bars are as wide as you say, I'd like to set up just past those two trees towards the end of Champaign Hill. Heh heh heh.
A 28 incher will fit between those trees - barely - but you better be lined up right:D

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
klimt said:
the few of the group who do it make it so easy.
Isn't that always the case! I was behind one of those people at Dupont in NC this summer on a rock drop. Ended up riding down the rest of the way with a broken arm after my confidence got the better of me.

Let's just say I'm not to gonzo about steep downhills right now. Give me some time and I will forget about it and get foolish again!

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
SSINGA said:
A 28 incher will fit between those trees - barely - but you better be lined up right:D
Hell, I've smacked them a couple of times with the 25 incher I was running. I defitinely need some adjustment time before I start threading the Chicopee tree needle.

And RR, that's Champain Hill :D. The other front did have the gussets as well.

D.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
D-Rock said:
Hell, I've smacked them a couple of times with the 25 incher I was running. I defitinely need some adjustment time before I start threading the Chicopee tree needle.

And RR, that's Champain Hill :D. The other front did have the gussets as well.

D.
Only on the way up. The way down is fun fun fun!

·
Mmmm Rocks Good
645 Posts
16th Annual Punk Bike Enduro!!

Let's hear from some of the others who were able to get some time on the dirt![/QUOTE]

Appx 115 hardy soles lined up at the Dorseyville Fire Hall at 11:00 foutside of Pittsburgh, Pa. for the 16th Annual Punk bike Enduro that DirtRag Mag hosts every year. Temps were in the mid 20's and there was maybe 1-2" of snow on the ground. Surley singlespeeders were in abundance and there was even a Surley Pugsly w/3.7" tires in attendance. I had the only Ventana in the bunch. My El Chamuco handles the slippery, steep conditions w/out a whimper! We spent 6 hours out in the woods of western Pa racing and riding all day long! We crossed numerous creeks and keeping your feet warm was the ticket to a comfortable day out in elements. Of course a flask of brandy and access to a barrel of fine Troegs microbrew helped as well. Here is a link to some pics. http://www.pbase.com/porc/punk_bike_december_4_2005 Great time had by all! Thank you Mo and the boys/girls at DirtRag for a kick a$$ event again!! :D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
To much fun.

It looks like everyone had a great time.

Here's a tip for cold toes. Skiers have little heat producing packs that fit in the toes of your shoes. They will keep your feet toasty warm for about 3 hours. You can get them at any ski shop or sports store.

·
Mmmm Rocks Good
645 Posts
Heat packs work great!

Pauliemon said:
It looks like everyone had a great time.

Here's a tip for cold toes. Skiers have little heat producing packs that fit in the toes of your shoes. They will keep your feet toasty warm for about 3 hours. You can get them at any ski shop or sports store.
Thanks Pauliemon! We've been using them for years. Open the pack about 15-20 mins prior to ride then tape em to the bottom of my neoprene socks which are over a wicking sock. My feet were comfortable all day long except when we would stand still too long!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.