Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would love to ride some rides away from the normal stuff. No SoMo, Hawes, MMP, but other places. Anyone know of some nice rides besides these? Also, if you're free, I'm off weird days, free Mon-Wed and every other Thurs. Would be nice to experience some new rides/places.

Thanks

Mike
 

·
EDR
Joined
·
10,312 Posts
dirtluvraz said:
Would love to ride some rides away from the normal stuff. No SoMo, Hawes, MMP, but other places. Anyone know of some nice rides besides these? Also, if you're free, I'm off weird days, free Mon-Wed and every other Thurs. Would be nice to experience some new rides/places.

Thanks

Mike
I am going through the same thing. Two weeks ago we took a day trip down to Catilina Mtn. area North of Tucson and did the 50 year trail and other stuff. It was cool. Kinda like Hawes area but if you go far enough it becomes very technical for a while. Not a place to go if you had to drive 500 miles but from the valley its a cool departure. Never seen so many catci in my life, and I ride Hawes weekly!

oh..I recommend Spruce Mtn. outside of Prescott also. Its nice to get to ride on actual earthy dirt with logs instead of hardpack, over hardpack, haha. Its a biotch to get up but the d/h ride is much longer than the uphill if you go clockwise. Its about 9k feet at the top, I think, maybe less I don't remember...so snow is possible.

Do you work for a major semiconductor manufacturer by any chance? I work similar hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eatdrinkride said:
I am going through the same thing. Two weeks ago we took a day trip down to Catilina Mtn. area North of Tucson and did the 50 year trail and other stuff. It was cool. Kinda like Hawes area but if you go far enough it becomes very technical for a while. Not a place to go if you had to drive 500 miles but from the valley its a cool departure. Never seen so many catci in my life, and I ride Hawes weekly!

oh..I recommend Spruce Mtn. outside of Prescott also. Its nice to get to ride on actual earthy dirt with logs instead of hardpack, over hardpack, haha. Its a biotch to get up but the d/h ride is much longer than the uphill if you go clockwise. Its about 9k feet at the top, I think, maybe less I don't remember...so snow is possible.

Do you work for a major semiconductor manufacturer by any chance? I work similar hours.
Yep, there are 5 of us on the same shift that ride, although there are some differences as to the best rides. Kendogg loves SoMo, and can ride the crap out of it. I like the longer rides, maybe not so techi. Santa was good to me (as in me santa!) and got me a higher-end GPS with compass and altimeter, I'd love to map some trails that maps don't exist for, ala Lost Dog, etc.
 

·
I am Walt
Joined
·
6,392 Posts
dirtluvraz said:
Yep, there are 5 of us on the same shift that ride, although there are some differences as to the best rides. Kendogg loves SoMo, and can ride the crap out of it. I like the longer rides, maybe not so techi. Santa was good to me (as in me santa!) and got me a higher-end GPS with compass and altimeter, I'd love to map some trails that maps don't exist for, ala Lost Dog, etc.
Now that you mention it, Lost Dog area in the McDowells in off the beaten path, for the most part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
waltaz said:
Now that you mention it, Lost Dog area in the McDowells in off the beaten path, for the most part.
It also needs a map, correct? And, from what I've read suits my riding preference, as in longer, maybe (everyone shudder here!) not like SoMo? You know about my experience at MMP last fall with a certain individual I told you about, so the trails there sound great. Any problems with a decent map being made of the area? ;)
 

·
I am Walt
Joined
·
6,392 Posts
dirtluvraz said:
It also needs a map, correct? And, from what I've read suits my riding preference, as in longer, maybe (everyone shudder here!) not like SoMo? You know about my experience at MMP last fall with a certain individual I told you about, so the trails there sound great. Any problems with a decent map being made of the area? ;)
It does - all XC riding with really no technical parts. And you can ride for 2-3 hours, if you know how to stitch it together. A nice map would be great...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17 Posts
waltaz said:
It does - all XC riding with really no technical parts. And you can ride for 2-3 hours, if you know how to stitch it together. A nice map would be great...
We got sweet maps of all those trails at the shop.
Arizona Outback Adventures
16647 N 91st st. suit 101
Scottsdale AZ 85260
480 945 2881

We bought an aerial photo map of the area and GPS'D the trails on to it.. The text is somewhat accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chronicrider said:
We got sweet maps of all those trails at the shop.
Arizona Outback Adventures
16647 N 91st st. suit 101
Scottsdale AZ 85260
480 945 2881

We bought an aerial photo map of the area and GPS'D the trails on to it.. The text is somewhat accurate.
Thanks, I'll check it out. You work there, I take it? What's their hours? I'd like to pick one up. Did you record the elevations too? If not, do you still have the waypoints you used recorded?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17 Posts
dirtluvraz said:
Thanks, I'll check it out. You work there, I take it? What's their hours? I'd like to pick one up. Did you record the elevations too? If not, do you still have the waypoints you used recorded?
yes, I work there. My name is Mike, hours of operation are 9-6 everyday. Elevation is recorded. Come by and I'll hook you up.
 

·
NedwannaB
Joined
·
12,784 Posts
Actually, it's about.....

eatdrinkride said:
oh..I recommend Spruce Mtn. outside of Prescott also. Its nice to get to ride on actual earthy dirt with logs instead of hardpack, over hardpack, haha. Its a biotch to get up but the d/h ride is much longer than the uphill if you go clockwise. Its about 9k feet at the top, I think, maybe less I don't remember...so snow is possible./QUOTE]

...7,800' at the lookout, but coming from Norcal sea level a few days before, it felt like 10k! :eek: The first day I went cw & got turned around a few hundred ft. I guess from the summit do to weather, then the next afternoon went ccw up/cw back down & you could hardly tell it had stormed the previous day. Fun trail. Costco (297?), Groom Creek & Granite Basin are good too.
 

·
Ouch, I am hot!
Joined
·
4,765 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Dirdir said:
Now this is elitist. No technical parts for who? Super XC gods.
I'd beg to differ on no technical parts - the triple switchback (#2 - #4 on the way down) on the east slope is rough - and the margin of error is nearly zero. I've been on two big rigs both times I've gone through it (a 29'er and a Bullit), but it'd still be a tight squeeze for a full on XC bike.

Dirdir said:
Seriously, how can we get a nice map of this area put together?
You find someone with a GPS and a free day and you offer to take them to the Yard House after the ride, then go ride all the trails out there :)

I happen to know someone who has a GPS that can do all kinds of cool things like

Sunrise Climb


and Sunrise Descent


and happens to enjoy the Yard House... :D
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top