Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
JORBA: Six Mile Run
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a pair of Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal 2.3's on my bike and they have this wobble to them. The rims are true, the tires are seated on the rims evenly, but the tires dance like drunken sailors when spinning. You can even feel the bike vibrate when its above 20 mph. I tried taking the pressure up to the max on the tire to see if that would straighten them out, but that didnt change a thing. I tried deflating and reinstalling, nothing seems to work. I've used a bunch of different tires over the years, but nothing close to this in size, these things are wide. Any Ideas or info appreciated.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Same here

Mine are BG 2.1 front and rear. The front seems pretty good (a year old), but the rear (2 months old) seems to have a wobble and hop to it at one spot. The wheel is true with no hop - certainly not as bad as the tire shows it to be. I've tried remounting, overinflating, etc. No dice. I can't really feel it too much though, so I've done nothing about it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
same here...

I notice it most with my 2.4 Kenda Cortez tires and my 2.35 Blue Grooves. I don't notice as much with my 2.1 Blue Grooves. I change tires frequently and the first ride after mounting the larger tires always makes me stop and check to see if my rim is still true.

Is this a Kenda thing or is it indicative all larger volume tires?

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,214 Posts
Mine, too

Wobbegong said:
I put a pair of Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal 2.3's on my bike and they have this wobble to them. The rims are true, the tires are seated on the rims evenly, but the tires dance like drunken sailors when spinning. You can even feel the bike vibrate when its above 20 mph. I tried taking the pressure up to the max on the tire to see if that would straighten them out, but that didnt change a thing. I tried deflating and reinstalling, nothing seems to work. I've used a bunch of different tires over the years, but nothing close to this in size, these things are wide. Any Ideas or info appreciated.
I notice the same thing with the new Nevegal 2.35 I just put on the back of my bike.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't know if it is the same problem, but I mounted Karmas for the first time and had a wobble. There is a section on the sidewall just above the bead that looks textured (like little lines). This was grabbing the rim and not allowing the bead to fully seat properly. I had to use soap suds to lube the outside of the sidewall, which allowed the tire to seat properly.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
craig said:
Don't know if it is the same problem, but I mounted Karmas for the first time and had a wobble. There is a section on the sidewall just above the bead that looks textured (like little lines). This was grabbing the rim and not allowing the bead to fully seat properly. I had to use soap suds to lube the outside of the sidewall, which allowed the tire to seat properly.
I agree, make sure they are seated properly. After mounting a tire I like to pump it up to 40-50psi and wait for the "pop" of the beads seating. My folding 26x2.5 BG/Nevs run pretty true. My DH 24x2.5 Nev wobbles. I think DH tires do run less true.

·
JORBA: Six Mile Run
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never........

I've never seen a tire off this much. It just shouldnt be this bad at this price. If they were motorcycle tires, you would crash and burn at about 50 mph. A high end tire for a mountain bike should be just that, a well built tire that is even and balanced. Its hard to accept a multi thousand dollar bike with wobbly tires. I'll ride them for a while and see if it changes at all, if not, they will get the boot. Its not a pretty site to look down and see that wiggle dance they do.

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
Why not return it? I would, like you say, @ this price point.
I just bought a couple @ the LA bike show this weekend, haven't mounted them up yet, hope this isn't what I have to look forward to!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.