Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tom Jackson from Cannondale will be out at the Skeggs parking lot at 5:00 tomorrow (Wednesday) night with a TRUCKLOAD of ROAD AND MOUNTAIN BIKES TO DEMO!

come on up. bring a friend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The SCALPEL is the ****

I was at the demo last night and got to ride a Scapel.

Geezus it was an amazing ride. I wasn't bowled over by Lefty technology, but now I'm a believer.

This bike railed. It climbed like a hard tail, was twitchy fast, but not twitchy, and tracked really well on steep climbs, keeping the front wheel down took a minimum of effort. It was a very balanced ride.

The Scapel is a race rocket. It's a 22-pound full suspension efficient climber. I had the two ring set up in the front -- no granny. Fine with me, I didn't need one.

Go test ride a Scapel, don't take my word for it. This bike is the Holy Grail.

I normally ride a pretty damn nice race bike (Titus RacerX) so I'm used to riding a quality bike. The Scapel was in a class by itself.

Julie

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
MrCrash said:
Your writeup made my wallet tingle - I don't know whether to say damn you or thank you :)

I'm very curious about that Rize tho...
The rize has more travel front and back. 130 mm on both. It's a little beefier at 24 lbs for the rize 1. I have yet to get on one. I have been on the scalpel and it goes nicely.

The rize 1 will only set you back $5500 :yikes:

I just finished upgrading my Prophet, so I need a new project. Then again, a rize 1 wont have much to upgrade......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad I could make parts tingle...niiiice.

Some of the test riders were on the Rize and loved the ride, but it definitely wasn't as efficient a climber. They said it was crazy fun to ride, but not a race bike. Now the Scapel, that's a racy racy machine!

Tingle away.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I rode the Rize for about 2/3 of the ride, and the Scalpel for the last 1/3. I wasn't too keen on the Rize, only because its more bike then I'll ever want. Although, it did corner like it was on rails. Now the Scalpel, it was AMAZING! Climbing, descending, cornering, you name it. I felt like I could have kept up with Mark Weir (of course, that feeling was quickly kicked in the groin when Diggler flew by me on the fire road climb out on his SS).

Just under $7000 is one steep price tag, but I honestly think it is worth it if you are in the market for such a bike. Anybody want to by an lightly used '07 Intense Spider? :skep: Okay, not really gonna trade the spider in, but man, I really can't say enough about the Scalpel. I'm curious how it would have ridden had it actually been set up for me, rather than the 6'1" 195 guy I traded with (I'm like 5'11" 170).

·
Registered
913 Posts
ziscwg said:
The rize has more travel front and back. 130 mm on both. It's a little beefier at 24 lbs for the rize 1. I have yet to get on one. I have been on the scalpel and it goes nicely.

The rize 1 will only set you back $5500 :yikes:

I just finished upgrading my Prophet, so I need a new project. Then again, a rize 1 wont have much to upgrade......
I'm still trying to figure out what I want my next bike to do, although I'm about a year away from purchasing it. A long travel XC bike like the Rize is better suited to most of my riding, but between my XC racing and and Xterra Off Road Triathlon endeavors, that Scalpel might work out really well!

Kinda off topic, but did you race Sport class at the last Lake Sonoma race? I remember seeing you on the Prophet around the start sometime.

·
MarkyMark
1,352 Posts
MarkMass said:
Awesome! I gotta test ride a Scalpel and a Rush.
I test rode a Scalpel Team Replica (!) and a Rize last night. Riding the Scalpel really opened up my eyes to what's wrong with my tired Blur classic--I'm sending my shock to Push and need to get a new fork. If that doesn't solve my problems, then I'm going to start looking for a Scalpel frame+headset+stem+Lefty. I immediately felt how light and nimble, but not twitchy, it was pedaling it around the parking lot. I was initially skeptical of the Lefty, but the trip down Blue Blossom put my mind at ease.

I didn't need the lock-out on the Fox RP23 at all. The rear felt really stiff and the rear didn't bob at all. I felt a whole lot faster than all of the other nights I was out there--I actually liked climbing on the Scalpel. The only minor issue I had all night was on the climb up Manzanita where you hit the short technical climb with the boulders. I pulled-up and cranked hard on the pedals which caused platform in the RP23 to give. I didn't expect it (no ProPedal on my Blur) which made me steer into a gully. I'm sure I would have cleaned it if I tried again.

I swapped with Paul for his Rize near the end of the ride. The Rize was fun (Paul "like riding a marshmellow"), but too much bike for Skeggs. I think I would have liked it for the trip down Steam Donkey, though. It kinda felt like the Yeti 575. Just point down-hill, release the brakes and enjoy. The Rize cornered really well just like the Scalpel. I was taking the inside line around some folks on descents (on duff and loose rocks) and the bike felt neutral and didn't wash-out on me. I used both lock-outs for the climbs and it was still plenty quick.

The Maxxis tires the Cannondales were wearing really helped. Everyone was complimenting them all night. I couldn't believe the CrossMarks on my Scalpel were hooking-up and allowing me to rail around corners. I have a Conti Veritcal Pro (F) + Fire XC Pro (R) on my Blur and the Scalpel felt way more stable with the CrossMarks.

Thanks Tom and Murray for coming out and letting us test ride the awesome bikes! The Wednesday night rides are fun and the Cannondales made it kick-ass!

Oh yeah, thanks to Kirk who brought Brie, baguettes and strawberries last night. What else should we be eating after test riding $7k bikes?

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
MrCrash said:
I'm still trying to figure out what I want my next bike to do, although I'm about a year away from purchasing it. A long travel XC bike like the Rize is better suited to most of my riding, but between my XC racing and and Xterra Off Road Triathlon endeavors, that Scalpel might work out really well!

Kinda off topic, but did you race Sport class at the last Lake Sonoma race? I remember seeing you on the Prophet around the start sometime.
Yeah, I raced sport. I like the course so I get to ride it 3 times in sport. I'm probably more of a beginner. But, when I didnt hurt my foot, I finished mid pack in my last race there riding sport class.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.