Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-
It's the first time I am posting here. I am planning a very long tour, and have very little experience. I was wondering if anyone here knew of a good site, especially a forum, with information on solo touring? I am thinking of doing a tour in Russia.
Thanks
Tim

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Hi Tim,

What kind of information are you after specifically?

If you need lighting and GPS information we can probably help, otherwise perhaps some of the boys in the endurance racing forum or maybe even general chat or passion may be of assistance? I know there are a few guys into heavy touring that float about here from time to time.

Let us know what you’re after! ;)

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically what I am after is all kinds of general information, about nutrition, what kind of bike, what kind of gear- racks or trailer, clothing, safety, how to lock up the bike when camping in areas where it is likely to be a target of theft- you name it.
I am planning in a few years on doing a tour- don't laugh- from Tierra del Fuego to Alaska, then from eastern Russia to Portugal, and Tangiers to Capetown. I know French, English and Spanish already, and am learning Russian, I live in Moscow right now, I just need more knowledge on the cycling part of things. I have always been into bikes, just not touring and I need basic info.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
uphiller said:
Basically what I am after is all kinds of general information, about nutrition, what kind of bike, what kind of gear- racks or trailer, clothing, safety, how to lock up the bike when camping in areas where it is likely to be a target of theft- you name it.
I am planning in a few years on doing a tour- don't laugh- from Tierra del Fuego to Alaska, then from eastern Russia to Portugal, and Tangiers to Capetown. I know French, English and Spanish already, and am learning Russian, I live in Moscow right now, I just need more knowledge on the cycling part of things. I have always been into bikes, just not touring and I need basic info.
Just start looking. Biketouring101. crazyguyonabike. Adventure Cycling forums. MTBR Endurance forum.

There are so many, and your tour is going to consist of a lot of road. You have options galore. Look at road touring sites, and ultralight backpacking sites, etc. Maps.. maps... maps....

There is no definitive site on touring gear. It is a process. You have to determine how you travel. Fast... slow... heavy... light.... lonely... bored....excited... satisfied...content...aggravated... It all plays together in the design of your gear.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Hmm... is there some kind of tacit prohibition on mentioning www.bikeforums.net? :)

Bikeforums has probably the best Touring section on the net and many a round-the-world cyclist posts there. My only caveat is that tourers are just a big a bunch of gearfreaks as mountain bikers- if you hang out on that forum too long you're going to think that you need a custom touring frame like a Gunnar or a Thorn ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.