Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been eyeing this trail for some time. I know it's not technical or anything crazy but just wanted to check it out. Just looking for something new (for me) in Flag. Anybody have any experience?

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
azdog said:
I have been eyeing this trail for some time. I know it's not technical or anything crazy but just wanted to check it out. Just looking for something new (for me) in Flag. Anybody have any experience?
I've climbed Weatherford a couple times from Schultz Road, just past the Sunset TH area. Its 1.75 miles of crap - loose rocks, steady uphill. It is pretty, however. The payoff down Ricochet was totally worth it.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,605 Posts
Mainly we use it as a way to get to the top of Lookout (a semi-secret technical trail that is mostly downhill, abeit with some climbs). By itself Weatherford isn't very fun, but it is a challenging climb. I especially like the section with the Aspens because it's loose and difficult to do without spinning out or dabbing. I got it last time, but the time before that I didn't clean it. It's a trail that doesn't screw around, it goes up and it never lets up until the very end of the trail. Again, not much fun for descending, but it's a good way to stay on trails and get to the top of Lookout.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Yep, as other have said it is a bear. I have only ridden it once and I still remember it. It was tore up pretty badly, and it never lets up. Well, actually it does, and gives you a false sense of accomplishment. Then you take a right and start climbing again. The rewards at the top are worth every bit of pain though.

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, definitely some good information. I am really interested in the history of Flagstaff which spurred my interest in this trail/road up Humphrey's.

·
shred my gnar
604 Posts
what they said... loose crap. there are better ways, imo, to get up to the overlook trail (ricochet, lookout, richard smoker... whatever you want to call it) or upper hotshot and upper moto.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
happy_ending said:
what they said... loose crap. there are better ways, imo, to get up to the overlook trail (ricochet, lookout, richard smoker... whatever you want to call it) or upper hotshot and upper moto.
c'mon...share. :). I'm guessing you mean the forest road that dumps you onto Ricochet?
thanks!

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
Last time up there I took Shultz to Orion Spring and that up to Secret and that was pretty nice - kinda paralleling a FR up there at times...

·
shred my gnar
604 Posts
nothing secret... just preferences. anyhow, yes... the old weatherford road via dogfood. which is also a big loose pile of crap. but a much more direct pile of crap and not quite as crapilicious as the weatherford trial. The first section of it is really bad then it mellows out the rest of the way up to the kachina trail parking lot/starting of overlook trail.

i also like going up schultz->orion spring->secret/upper hotshot to get to basically the same spot... the last climb on upper hotshot is a definite hike-a-bike but its short.

another one i enjoy is up dogfood->onceler->secret to that same spot

those last 2 are much more roundabout than going up old weatherford road but the fun factor is much higher, imo, than going up the weatherford trail.

so if im strapped for time i go up the old weatherford rd, if not i do one of these more roundabout lines.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Heading to Flag this weekend for some XC pedal time. Slow up and Cruzing back down. Wifey and I are gonna up there with my sister which is attending NAU. She has a orientation this weekend. AZdog holla at the crew!

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
doodooboi said:
Heading to Flag this weekend for some XC pedal time. Slow up and Cruzing back down. Wifey and I are gonna up there with my sister which is attending NAU. She has a orientation this weekend. AZdog holla at the crew!
I'll be on Elden on Sunday after doing the Coconino on Saturday, probably doing a 15-20 mile classic loop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.