Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
We had a lot of storms with dry lightning roll through Sunday afternoon, which kicked off many wildfires, and so for the last couple of days, the air has been incredibly smokey. Actually making it seem dark when it isn't. I heard there were nine as of yesterday, I don't know if there are now more or less. There is one in particular that is nasty, I can see the fireline from a couple doors down. It's frustrating... biking in that crud is not cool. :madman:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Go ride in the rain. it doesnt sound like fun until your doing it. It rained all weekend here in florida. I havent been to a trail in 3 weeks. So when I had my heart set on going on sunday, the rain and lightning diddnt stop me. It was great and only like 10 other people were at alafia , where normally its packed. I rode the double diamond trails for the first time ever. and it was raining. it was painful but Id do it again.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WhoUtink said:
Go ride in the rain. it doesnt sound like fun until your doing it. It rained all weekend here in florida. I havent been to a trail in 3 weeks. So when I had my heart set on going on sunday, the rain and lightning diddnt stop me. It was great and only like 10 other people were at alafia , where normally its packed. I rode the double diamond trails for the first time ever. and it was raining. it was painful but Id do it again.
I don't know what its like down in Florida, but riding in this solid mud is a big no-no in Pennsylvania. It really damages the trails and isn't that fun.

·
Now broadcasting from CO
1,225 Posts
You must be somewhere in East PA

That's about what we have had since friday. It really sucks cause I have a big race this weekend (ITT, 6hr, Hill Climb, STXC) and I haven't ridden much in the past three weeks.

Oh well!!! Rain Rain Go AWAY!!!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PAmtbiker said:
That's about what we have had since friday. It really sucks cause I have a big race this weekend (ITT, 6hr, Hill Climb, STXC) and I haven't ridden much in the past three weeks.

Oh well!!! Rain Rain Go AWAY!!!!!
I'm actually in Pittsburgh, but it's close enough that we still get all this crappy weather:madman:

·
Registered
751 Posts
new jersey is the same way. pretty much under water now. the rain this spring/summer has been unbelievable. it's been raining since friday. no rain today, but more is expected tonight and tomorrow. i am very sad. most of my usual trails are not really rideable in this mess...

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
CT checking in...

We're in that boat (pun intended) here too.

On Friday we got 4.5" of rain in under an hour. Between Friday at noon and Sunday noon we got over 9" of rain. Today we got another .5" or so, just enough to keep things WET. I can't remember ever missing dirt in June! Its going to take me weeks to get back in shape now... ugh. I think i can hear my lawn growing.

On the up side, the woods are unbelievably green. The lichen and moss are absolutely jamming. Of course so are the mosquitoes and deer flies. I killed 10 deer flies last night on my quick ride behind the house. Deer flies suck because, unlike mosquitoes, they can keep up to a bike - did they learn how to draft?

I did a road ride on my MTB in the rain last weekend. If it hadn't been so long since I was on a bike, it would have sucked.

John

·
Registered
751 Posts
yep, all this rain is going to cause another huge problem for us bikers- there will be an explosion of mosquitos, biting flies and ticks that we'll have to deal with the rest of the summer

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
the skeeters are so bad in NE that you can't stop for more than about a minute. i inhaled one on a ride a few weeks back, managed to cough it up after several tries . now they're reporting positive tests for west nile in needham, ma.:mad: the little bastids' :madmax:

·
5 x 5
263 Posts
Ah, yes, and meanwhile, on the other coast...

...Los Angeles and surrounds are experiencing highs in the 80s, with mild humidity and warm, dry evenings. Pretty much perfect weather for any outdoor activity.

Oh, I'm sorry - am I making you jealous? Gosh, that was thoughtless of me!

Heh heh heh!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My whole summer has been like thsi so far. Only been able to hit the good trails twice all summer as the rain every other day is keeping things way too wet and muddy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.