Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crossed my mind but didn't want to yield "the stank" into these shorts, and have to wash them that often either... I have about 10 ride on them. Tried tighty whites (did not like) and the regular old boxers and that was fine. Was curious what other combos or solutions, if anything, people have found...

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
dieselcruiserhead said:
crossed my mind but didn't want to yield "the stank" into these shorts, and have to wash them that often either... I have about 10 ride on them. Tried tighty whites (did not like) and the regular old boxers and that was fine. Was curious what other combos or solutions, if anything, people have found...
I'm sorry, you should really wash your shorts more often. Like after every ride. I think the rest of us do bike wash on a regular basis.

·
Old man on a bike
12,397 Posts
I don't wear jeans 10 times without washing them. Can't even imagine bike shorts unwashed for 10 rides, underwear or not (and would never wear underwear underneath bike shorts with a chamois, defeats the purpose of the chamois). That must be a pretty warm setup, too, what with a baggy outer layer, the liner/chamois, and underwear...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Believe it or not I'm actually pretty concerned about keeping things relatively clean, the boxers have done a decent job. They hardly smell, there is no visible salt buildup or anything like that. I know all this seems like incredibly basic and I guess I will go ahead and start riding without any under wear. I have been riding for years with the same, quality, cotton boxers and regular thin surfer-style shorts only and this has been great. I guess I assume I'm getting a hair older and am experimenting with padding/the chamoix. Anyway, I will go ahead and wash and probably pick up a second pair... I haven't minded the boxers, they are just bulky but otherwise have done just fine even on all day close to 50 mile rides. The bulk of my rides are early evening 1-2 hours only though...

Here are the shorts in question,
http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=331&product_id=1229376

And here is specifically the washing procedure, which can make you understand why I was hesitant to wash them...

Colors

+ZOOMCOLORS

Black
BROWN Size & Fit
Description & Care Use simple detergents with no additives:
Never use detergents with fabric softeners, perfumes or any additive type product. The general rule of thumb is the simpler the better. Many detergents with additives leave "surfactants" behind on a fabric's fibers that inhibit the technical performance. Typically the best detergents to use will have "Clear" or "Free" in their names. Don't pour the detergent directly onto the clothing, put it in the washer first, when you start the water. If something is not functionally working, but is not dirty, try rinsing it twice in warm to hot water. This will help get rid of the harmful surfactants.

Read the care content label:
On the inside of your garment, or on the hangcard, there are instructions for the care of that individual piece. On garments this will be on a side seam or back seam label. Follow those directions. On finer fabrics, use a "Gentle" cycle. Close all zippers, attach "hook and loop" closures on gloves

You can use the dryer, carefully:
If you use a dryer be sure to use a lower / warm heat setting (Do NOT use a commercial dryer or a "Hot" setting). This will often restore the fabric and help the water and wind repellent qualities. If in doubt, hang the clothing to dry.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,938 Posts
Warm, moist, and dark

Fungus, mold, germs, creepy crawly things (crab lice) ect will love those shorts::eekster:

NEVER, EVER, NEVER wear shorts without cleaning them first. Google search boils and chafing. That alone will make you want to go take a shower right now.

While the stink is bad enough, dude, do you really want your girl to come face to face with that?

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
There is nothing like a fresh washed pair of shorts. Even if i stop for lets say 20 minutes, i feel like I have to change to a fresh pair of shorts... Just wash them, if they break because of frequent washing, buy a new one.

·
Mountain Dew enthusiest
233 Posts
Under Armor

I like under armor compression shorts under my bike shorts. At $20 a pair, other brands might be cheaper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh man - the other day I saw a roadie fly by in WHITE spandex shorts, with blue jockeys on underneath. My eyes! :eek:

sunil said:
Nothing comes between me and my lycra/chamois ;) but the wifey is a little hesitant about doing the same. Do the ladies here have any advice?

Cheers!
Women-specific chamois = no underwear. The chamois IS the underwear.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I gave up on my wife. She wants her underwear. For some reason, she thinks her Chamois has cooties (my words, not hers) and won't let it touch her va-nay-nay. I think it's silly but she hasn't broken out in a rash yet so I dropped it.

I wear baggies for "social rides" with the wife and hate the extra layer of fabric. I couldn't imagine piling on yet another layer underneath, but again, it's a personal decision. But Diesel, seriously, at least try no-drawers before you commit to undies.

If you're going to ride a few times a week, you've got to have some shorts and shirts to spare. Keep an eye on chainlove and performance and sierra trading post for specials and buy a few. Plus, with more bike clothes you can justify dumping them all into a seperate wash where they won't get murdered by jeans and other heavier clothing.

And like formica, I just line dry everything -- inside, on a hanger. They're practically dry when I pull them out after the spin cycle.

ahhh... Laundry tips courtesy Speedub.Nate. Take that, Helouise!

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
Word. You got to wash your clothes. This is just basic hygiene man! You're gonna be growing some fumunda cheese if you keep this up. Nasty!
You gotta roll commando in bike shorts. IF you don't you completely negate the benefits of wearing them in the first place. Baggies are fine, and many companies pair them with lightweight lycra that is sort of vented and works great together (Fox, Swobo, Endura to name a few).
So burn what you've been riding or send it off to the lab or whatever.... then go get yourself some decent shorts! Jebus!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My guess is you guys probably never played hockey or lacrosse or any of the sports that require "gear." The philosophy is wear/abuse your clothing and equipment, you take it for granted that it is gets worked and eventually becomes gross, and take a shower, wash equipment as required... I think you guys are thinking aobut the nastiness in terms of the stank you guys yield on your bike shorts with no undies... Rightly so, I think I'd need to wash after every ride... Again I am not someone who smells bad, I might maybe wear my jeans a few days in row too but that is about it...

Anyway, I started polling. My neighbor who is a pretty avid cyclist (mostly a roadie) for example he did about 30 really tough miles yesterday, and I noticed: undies... My financee who is also a roadie (understandable with women) --- undies. I told her she was not supposed to wear undies and not only was she unaware but she couldn't believe it. Not saying that is right but I don't think she will ever give up the undies, personally...

So anyway, I'm not defending my decision or saying it is right, and 1) I washed the shorts last night.. they are just a lot bulker and techier than your standard MTB shorts which is why I was probably a little reluctant to wash, and 2) I'm going to rock it in the buff. I have a feeling I'll like it. But it is definitely going to yield the stank... :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.