Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I like mud
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all new brakes (XTs) and they're not quite stopping as well as my last set of XTs.

My bike shop says I need to break-in the rotors more and they'll stop much better soon.

Does anybody know about this...is that correct, or should they just work right away.

I have done one ride of about 15 km and they still don't stop as well as they should.

Thanks.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
The process is called bedding in. Until the happens, the surfaces of the pads and rotor will have not only a low surface area, but also an unmatched one. When the brake has been used a few times, the pads, and to a much smaller extent the rotor, will wear down so that the profile of the pads matches a general profile of the rotor, giving maximum surface area contact and maximum braking force.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Also the pads....

sort of polish the rotor and pad material is deposited and beds into the rotor surface as well. It's a process that can take several rides or only a ride or two, depending on your braking technique, length of the ride(s), riding style, terrain, etc. It can be accelerated by finding a good downhill run, prefereably on pavement or a bike path and making several runs down the hill. Get your speed up to 15 or 20mph, then brake hard down to 5 or 10mph and repeat as many times as the run will let you. Then pedal back up to the top and do it again. Do this about 6 or 10 times and you should notice a marked increase in brake performance. If the brakes aren't quite bedded after that normal riding will complete the process in short order. With new brakes I usually do the above before hitting dirt with them the first time.

As noted, the the guys at the shop speak the truth, disc brakes do require break in before you get the best performance out of them. :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.