Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Helmet when I ride mountains, park, jumps, or just risky street stuff. I'll do pretty simple tricks like manuals when just riding to get places with no lid. I commute on my bike, and like to session a bit while I do, but I keep the riding relatively tame because sweaty and nappy don't quite cut it from 9-5, so a helmet is more of a pain then the extra security is worth.

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
Helmet when I ride mountains, park, jumps, or just risky street stuff. I'll do pretty simple tricks like manuals when just riding to get places with no lid. I commute on my bike, and like to session a bit while I do, but I keep the riding relatively tame because sweaty and nappy don't quite cut it from 9-5, so a helmet is more of a pain then the extra security is worth.
until you get clobbered by a car.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Thats possible, but still unlikely enough for me to feel better enjoying the comfort of an unladen cranium. Helmets do have a trade off, and the costs and benefits vary based on the situation. When riding to and from wherever, I fall so infrequently that its hard to justify the helmet, especially since any falls I have had on any commute ever (except for one incedent when I was like 8) have not involved the dome. I don't defend those who do dumb things while not wearing a lid, but I take a calculated risk, and the odds are in my favor. Just like walking outside in the morning is a calculated risk. Someone wearing a lampshade for a hat might just stab you, but probably not.

Helmet on principle when I ride trails, skatepark, DJ, or doing tricks in the street. When riding around town, I know what I'm doing, and these drivers in Switzerland are used to cyclist and motorino (scooter) riders.

·
493 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
I'll do pretty simple tricks like manuals when just riding to get places with no lid.
I've a good friend who was JRA doing a manual. Or so he has been told. Apparently he looped out landed on his head. Total freak accident. He spent a couple of days in the hospital and then a few weeks a little bit spacey. Doctors weren't sure how much damage the swelling was going to do. He eventually recovered OK, but darn, that's a bad way to learn a lesson. Wondering if your brain is ever going to be the same is freaky stuff.

You can also look at it from an economist's perspective. The brain is pretty much the most valuable thing you've got. The price of insurance (the sum total of your perceived inconvenience caused by the helmet) is not only relatively small, but because it's largely a perceived cost, it's also something that you have control over.

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
Jesus.............
This thread makes me wanna hurl :(
Every month I pay nearly half of my salary for bills from school past, present and future.
I figured it out one time how much I have paid for school and I concluded I should be wearing a helmet even when I walk around let alone a bike...

·
black & blue
235 Posts
its not going to stop me from not wearing a helmet on the street.... but I always have FF on for jumpish stuff/ DH....
Yikes! I'd never be out on the road without a helmet - riding on a bike with cars scares me more than any off-road trail I can think of.

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
Thats possible, but still unlikely enough for me to feel better enjoying the comfort of an unladen cranium. Helmets do have a trade off, and the costs and benefits vary based on the situation. When riding to and from wherever, I fall so infrequently that its hard to justify the helmet, especially since any falls I have had on any commute ever (except for one incedent when I was like 8) have not involved the dome. I don't defend those who do dumb things while not wearing a lid, but I take a calculated risk, and the odds are in my favor. Just like walking outside in the morning is a calculated risk. Someone wearing a lampshade for a hat might just stab you, but probably not.

Helmet on principle when I ride trails, skatepark, DJ, or doing tricks in the street. When riding around town, I know what I'm doing, and these drivers in Switzerland are used to cyclist and motorino (scooter) riders.
Oh you're in Europe... nevermind. I made the mistake of trying to tell a European to wear a helmet once before. Man did I get an earful!

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
i bet if you suck on that straw, it tastes like a milkshake...
I was thinking more along the lines of it being a spoon and you would open the flap and get some pudding.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts