Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was curious if anyone else noticed wear on the rear triangle by the lower pivot link when replacing the link?

I replaced my stock silver lower link and noticed some chipping and wear on the rear triangle. Seemed strange as the bike only has about 500 miles on it and this part is protected by the link. A couple of images:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I noticed this as well on my bike after some muddy rides. I think that mud packs in there and can cause some wear. I noticed a little amount of wear on the inside of the lower link as well. I don't think that the wear on my frame caused any structural damage at all. I put myself some protective film on the frame in that area to protect it from future wear. Riding in the dry isn't an issue at all. Just some early spring riding caused some of it for me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mud guard needed

I've had this problem too. I got pine sap and dirt stuck between the linkage and the swingarm and it did a bit of superficial damage. Search the forums there are even templates for a tiny mudguard. For the moment just use clear nail polish or epoxy to seal the damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
Wow

I took my SL linkage/rear triangle apart yesterday to inspect for wear also. Found very little but taped it up anyway.

What I did find was a bad bearing the the linkage. That's surprizing because I've only put on about 100 miles due to the weather. Any how, I pushed out the bad bearing and will replace it.

David

·
Registered
896 Posts
Design Flaw

jw06 said:
Was curious if anyone else noticed wear on the rear triangle by the lower pivot link when replacing the link?

I replaced my stock silver lower link and noticed some chipping and wear on the rear triangle. Seemed strange as the bike only has about 500 miles on it and this part is protected by the link. A couple of images:

OK,

I love my SL but is this maybe a design flaw?

Everyone has to ride in muddy conditions and by the looks of this wear pattern there isn't enough clearance on the far side of the linkage. As you can see the right side of the linkage/rear triangle shows little or no wear. This is because that area has more clearance for mud.
I think puting tape here is only a temporary fix. Maybe some linkage redesign is in order.

My fix will be to put a half fender in that area to deflect the mud.

My $.02

·
Ride More Work Less
372 Posts
Do you have larger pictures you could post of your wear?

jw06 said:

·
Registered
890 Posts
If anyone finds a link to the fender solution, please post it here. I haven't even seen that post though I'll search for it.

A year ago, the Ibis frames were seemingly indestructible, from all the posts here and on other forums. Now we hear about unbonding pivots, unbonding headset cups, unbonding seatpost inserts, and who knows what else will show up this year (please God..no cracks- I can handle anything but cracks).

For the sake of their continued success, I hope Ibis is taking notes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The link for a very good fender design for the mojo is:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4244347#poststop

I built the same fender after PeterG's design and it has worked as a charm in a very muddy april month here in DK.

From reading the forums here over the last 2 years or so, Ibis definetly seems to be taking notes on the problems experienced with the frames and improve and fix the problems going forward. As well their customer service seems to be among the best, although I have not had to use it with my Mojo :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
superficial

The damage near the pivot is still superficial as there is alot of epoxy and not much CF in this area. However I do consider the clearance between the linkage and the swingarm to be slight design flaw and it should probably be made larger so that it cleans automatically. I got pine sap in there and I wasn't even riding in wet conditions. Stuff just flicks up from the backwheel. One of the SL build threads had pictures of a large mudguard for the rear wheel. I'll post some pics of my mini guard made from an ice cream container later. Got to go riding and the chance of rain is 80%. Nooooooooooooo

Andy

·
Turn off the TV
239 Posts
Same thing happened to my regular Mojo. Found it when I had to replace my triangle due to a hole I punched in it. $250. At the same time I noticed that the bearings were shot so they gave me some new linkages. When I went to replace all of this I noticed the same damage as you guys have. I don't think this is a good sign for the longevity of the bike. I tried to get a better deal due to this new found damage and they were not as happy to help the second time around.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hello forum,

Yes, we're taking notes. QC is very good these days and the bikes are looking excellent.

The lower link was changed to provide a lot more clearance a long time ago. This is not happening on current frames.

It is the paint under the link, the carbon is solid and pretty thick in that area so it should be OK.

Hans

·
Registered
896 Posts
Rear Fenders

Hi,

I can't get PeterG's type of fender here in the states very cheeply because it has to come from Canada. Very expensive shipping for a plastic fender. I'm working with another US supplier and will try it out next week. If it works I MAY try to offer a fender kit similar to PeterG's.

David

·
Registered
896 Posts
hanssc said:
Hello forum,

Yes, we're taking notes. QC is very good these days and the bikes are looking excellent.

The lower link was changed to provide a lot more clearance a long time ago. This is not happening on current frames.

It is the paint under the link, the carbon is solid and pretty thick in that area so it should be OK.

Hans
Hans,

When did these come out. I received my SL in April, would I have gotten the new design?

David

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
hanssc said:
Hello forum,

Hans
What defines "current" frames? 1 month? 6 months? Is there something that we can look for? If clearance was enhanced, then it should be something that we should be able to notice visually. Are there pix of the differences? Or maybe a serial number where the differences took place. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.