Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So both my bikes have Eagle 12 speed setup's. Both are two years old, and developed shifting problems. Neither will shifted too the lower cogs with any accuracy. Narrowed it down to weak derailleur springs, possible from storing them in 50t cog? Of course Sram doesn't sell the springs. My old 11 speed x01 derailleur spring is significantly stronger!

Anyone know if it is possible to switch 11 speed spring over or any other solution besides buying another derailleur?

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,582 Posts
The spring is weak but it is a trade off in lever feel.
Couple things to fix this.
New cable and housing. Shimano Sp41 and Shimano optislick cable. Do It!
Clean the the pivots and Cable spiny thing. I use dry lube on the pivots after I clean it.
This should improve feel at the shiftier and fix most of your problems.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried the cable, it improved but still not great. I think once the derailleur pivots get worn or tight the wimpy spring can't overcome any tightness or friction. I think the spring is just under matched. My sram 11 speed spring feels 5x stiffer than 12 speed one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Parallelogram pivots will wear but shouldn't be tight. Normal maintenance is to lube the 8 points periodically. With the wheel off and cable disconnected the RD should move freely by hand through its full range. Hold onto and pull the cable at the RD while actuating the shifter and verify it's moving easily. You can pull the end of the cable out of the shifter and feed it back and forth by hand to verify it's moving freely. I had trouble with a SRAM RD dropping into the 10 tooth cog and found the cable pulley at the back of the derailleur was damaged. IDK if that's your issue but it's something to check. It is possible that the you have a weak spring for some reason...bad heat treating or something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to re-open the conversation but I am interested to find out if the springs are compatible between the eagle derailleurs. My xx1 deraileur has a weak spring and it would be cheaper to go out and buy a new NX and use the spring for the XX1 unit

Any ideas on this method ?

·
Magically Delicious
11,541 Posts
Look closely at the spring material diameter. I have an old GX that appears to be a smaller gauge spring material than my XX1. My initial thought is the GX is a lighter spring. No conclusion here, but something to check out.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,072 Posts
I have/had an XO1 12-sp der on my Tallboy. Last summer I had issues similar to what your describing. My LBS was able to have SRAM warranty both the XO1 shifter and, separately, the rear der. While I have had shifter fail and be warrantied; I've never had a manufacturer warranty a rear der. If you still have the receipt and are the original owner, I'd try to have the entire rear der warrantied.

FYI the front shifter took 5-6 weeks to be warrantied and the rear der took 4 days. I got lucky with the rear der--apparently SRAM holds back some inventory for service warranties.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts