Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
How cool is this?!!!??!!?

It worked today at 745 am PDT.

I had suggested this in this thread; so pleased to see it coming about. :thumbsup:

Also more ideas and possible mapping brain power in this thread.

·
GPS_dr
122 Posts
I think part of the real power of good biking site requires the ability to view an entire network of trails.

Documentation needs to be included! There are some trails that have seasonal closures, entrance fees etc. Spreadsheets provide a great way to document trails with linking and being able to print out 1 trail per page.
I've discovered that first trails are easy to document with linking. As the network of trails grows, there are a number of document entries, waypoints etc that need to be touched for each trail intersected. Some of my extra work is caused by supporting multiple formats:
GPX, National Geographic, DeLorme & Lowrance MapCreate. None of the vendor formats allow preservation of waypoint icons. I've purposefully limited my set of icons to those of my Garmin 76 to help make it more universal.
Here is a sample of my documentation

I don't know what kind of limit there is for points/paths etc on Google Earth.
I have over 950 miles using 82 tracks on my website viewable as a network in Google Earth.

None of my tracks are over 250 points in length though. This is to allow them to be used on more units and reduce the load on Google Earth. This requires manual effort to get the closest representation of the actual trail Automation doesn't know what little jogs are more important to show than larger variations on trails with no travel choices. Longest trail is about 34 miles.
Waypoint symbols & comments can add a lot of information. Connecting trails - restrooms - routing notes etc. Documentation can also add historical data.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
I need to add some details to mine, like getting lost, and the wrong turn that got me onto the ranch owned by the 70+ year old Annie Oakley (with gun!) :eek: and getting tied to the tree until the sherrif arrived...... :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I must be doing something wrong!!!!!!!! I get this error...
An error has occurred

The server encountered an error displaying the page /ajax/gpx/gpx_uploadfile.aspx. This failure has been reported to the ConsumerReview engineering team for investigation and resolution. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this temporary service outage, and we appreciate your patience as we work to improve our web site.

·
Registered
26 Posts
YES! This is brilliant, and I can't wait to see what we come up with! I, for one, am tired of picking up the errant trail from gpxchange.com, motionbased.com, and backpacker magazine's site.

I'm uploading a bunch now!

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
The gremlins are eating posts again.......

cr_mmurillo has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - We need some GPX data. - in the GPS, Lighting and Computer forum of Mtbr.com Forums.
(snip)
Here is a test URL.
(snip)
Remember, this is still beta!
:D :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Uploading GPX (Beta) files now Available on MTBR

Sorry to keep you guys waiting, but it's worth the wait.

First of you must be in the correct trail to upload your GPX file. Once uploaded, it will redirect you to the page with the map and you route.

We limited the file size to 250kb. Anything bigger will not be uploaded.

Example (I had to use someone's data. Thanks Geoman):
Trail URL: http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-new-mexico/trail/PRD_172709_4565crx.aspx

Route URL:
http://trails.mtbr.com/mountainbikeroutescrx.aspx?wip=25

Of course there will be a next version....

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
cr_mmurillo said:
Sorry to keep you guys waiting, but it's worth the wait.

Of course there will be a next version....
Sweet.. Take your time, just keep plugging away. ;)
Is it still considered early beta, or shall we unleash the hordes to see who can overload it? :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have that version of firefox, just keep refreshing until it shows up. Basically, I have to detect when the file completely loads. I'll have a fix by Friday. It's Early beta, but I want to collect most of the bugs.

Keep uploading them gpx files. To upload, you must be on the correct trail. There is a button on the map to upload.

·
MONKEYMAN
791 Posts
Search function doesn't work. Check the 'Latest Trails Added' for a list and search for a word in the title.

'Suicide Trail' tops the list at the moment, search of 'suicide' returns no results, and I mean nothing, not even 'We couldn't find your stuff man!'

/gui-gods hang their heads in shame

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.