Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks like they've just added the terminology to attract clicks from search results...remains to be seen if they'll actually start selling any gear (e.g. Revelate) that's actually suited for mountain-bike touring.

I'm all for it if they do, but I can't tell if this is the first step in that direction or just an annoying false lead for new/interested people trying to find decent bikepacking gear.

Edit: As of summer '14, looks like they are stocking Revelate stuff! Great!

·
Positively negative
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just an annoying false lead for new/interested people trying to find decent bikepacking gear.
That's currently my take on it. Seems like they are just gonna pepper their website with terms for trigger search engines then try to sell you stuff they were already selling. Not that they don't sell stuff you may want/need. Also looks like they are letting Blackburn shape their pitch to an extent, I mean who is gonna buy a locking rack for Bikepacking.

·
Fat!Drunk!Slow!
1,453 Posts
They sell some Revelate gear at REI Anchorage, most likely will at the new Fairbanks store as well. As always, best to just go strait to the source!

·
Positively negative
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't heard this word. Where did you hear it from. If so that would be a huge coup for them. Now if I could just buy something that they are sold out off!
I also need a large pocket ;) .

I actually would up having a conversation with one of the "bike buyers" at Whole Foods. Looks like Salsa is a possibility too, but they have a lot of dealer restrictions.

·
Registered
401 Posts
They just did a bikepacking seminar here in Asheville, NC. I was busy that night and can't comment on content.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
We were in the Austin, TX REI in April and they had a Surly Ogre (Troll?) on the floor, all decked out in Revelate bikepacking gear. I had to talk DH down off the ledge (he wanted to do an impulse buy of the bags AND the bike), but he did eventually order two of their bags. Not sure if he ordered through REI or Revelate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts