Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on We Are One Union wheels for about 3 months. So far I love them, but I can't get rim tape to last more than a month. Setup is tape, Cush Core and a Teravail Kessel ulltra durable. Background info: I have a Magatower that I ride downhill on about once a week. I usually hit 8-12 foot drops a few times each when I am there. I am very familiar with Cush Core. I can swap a tire out in normal circumstances in about 20 minutes. Once a month or so the tire won't hold air. When I pull the tire off the tape has moved on the rim. This started with the stock tape, and has continued with Gorilla Tape. I have tried single and double wraps. I couldn't even get Stan's tape to stick to the rim well enough to even consider using it. I know the wheel is clean when I install the tape. I clean it with a green cleaner and then rubbing alcohol. Everything I have used fails at one point or another. Removing Cush Core or my current tire out of the setup isn't happening. I
I even tried a Bontrager TLR 30mm strip. It fit really well, but getting the tire on was impossible. I also bought a Specialized 2Bliss rim strip to try. I am not confident in either of those because neither fit well. One is 26mm and the other is 31.
Anybody had luck with any other setup I haven't tried?

· Registered
262 Posts
I'm a big fan of putting a tube in at max pressure for minimum 24 hrs after taping a rim (I think Stan's recommended this years ago when their system first came out, been doing it since). If I don't do that I find the tape moves/peels pretty quickly on glossy carbon rims when swapping DH casing tires around with inserts . I use Stan's tape in my Unions with no issues with this method.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
First thing I do with We Are One wheels is replace the tape with Whiskey tape. No more issues. The tape that comes stock on the wheels won’t last a single tire change for me without coming unglued.

· Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m pretty sure my Insiders and Agents each came with packing tape installed. No big deal but it’s a little confounding to me.
Mine came taped, and the tape failed which is why I am asking this question.

Whiskey tape arrived, and I installed as recommended above. 2 days of downhill, and it's holding strong.

· Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just taped some Converts with Stans, these are some super slippery rims! I haven't ridden them yet (interminable wait for the rest of the bike), but I'm hoping not to have issues. I did stretch the crap out of the tape.
The Whiskey tape worked really well. It's still going strong after 10 days of park riding and trail riding.

· Registered
71 Posts
I did have air leakage at the nipples with 25mm Stan's tape, but it wasn't wide enough for the i35 Converts. That hasn't been a problem with other rims, though. I added two wraps of vinyl electrical tape, one wrap against each rim sidewall, and that sealed perfectly. The only issue I can see is that the electrical tape might be damaged and need to be replaced when swapping tires, but it should come off easy, and was cheap and easy to find locally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.