Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 512 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If you had a rim that competed with the Teocalli I'd seriously consider it.
As wide as possible under the 400g mark will do very well I think.

Yep & yep.
I agree 100%, we entered the market based on our previous market research and The AGENT rim and wheel package is our initial offering. In our R&D pipeline, we have a few different designs, widths and weights. We have full intentions of launching other rim products within this year. We will keep you posted as things progress.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The 29 page says 480g.

I'm happy to see this happening in Canada, but I have to say I'm not feeling the value in these offerings when a Flow rim is similar weight and width for a fraction of the price. I realize carbon has benefits other than weight, but it's a big consideration. Hope you guys succeed, I'll be watching for some sub-400g options!

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,780 Posts
I'm guessing the 26" is just around the corner
Haven't you heard 26 has been long dead and 27.5 is now dying........36 around the corner. Five years from now we will be riding full suspension high wheelers.

Made in North America carbon rims at Asian prices........if this works this could be a game changer

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The 29 page says 480g.

I'm happy to see this happening in Canada, but I have to say I'm not feeling the value in these offerings when a Flow rim is similar weight and width for a fraction of the price. I realize carbon has benefits other than weight, but it's a big consideration. Hope you guys succeed, I'll be watching for some sub-400g options!
Being able to manufacture our rims here in Canada has made us just as stoked. We understand that the cost of carbon rims are not on par with aluminum offerings and will be forever impossible to narrow the cost gap.
But when you look at the same weight rims in alloy's to carbon, you get a much different result in performance. Carbon is a high-performance material. The added lateral stiffness and overall strength of just the rim before it is laced into a wheel is considerably higher. You can fine tune how you want a rim to behave. You can engineer in traits that improve all kinds of behaviors.
Take Impact resistance for instance. It was a huge target of design for us. We spent more time on that section of the rim than any other. And, we feel that it is strong enough to back it with a 5-year warranty, and no questions asked lifetime crash replacement.
Our goal when we set out to design The AGENT, was the ultimate Enduro rim. 3.5mm rim lips and a shallow depth for long days without added fatigue. The Agent is not the swiss army knife of rims; it is the sniper.
What I would recommend is, stay tuned as we have much more in the works.;)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
As someone who doesn't have carbon wheel money to spend right now, I guess I'm not part of this, but these are my thoughts on this... Personally, as a non engineer, I cannot understand how a 650B rim and a 29er rim can be only 10g different in weight and both maintain the same characteristics.

A 29er rim of the same width as a 650B rim would be in the area of about 10% more surface area, so how can adding only 10g of carbon fibre (roughly 2%) to the 29er offering maintain the same strength and ride characteristics? Know my math is off about the difference in size between the 2 wheel sizes, I'm sure you can give a more accurate figure and would be interested in hearing how this would be accomplished , when to me it would seem like magic.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As someone who doesn't have carbon wheel money to spend right now, I guess I'm not part of this, but these are my thoughts on this... Personally, as a non engineer, I cannot understand how a 650B rim and a 29er rim can be only 10g different in weight and both maintain the same characteristics.

A 29er rim of the same width as a 650B rim would be in the area of about 10% more surface area, so how can adding only 10g of carbon fibre (roughly 2%) to the 29er offering maintain the same strength and ride characteristics? Know my math is off about the difference in size between the 2 wheel sizes, I'm sure you can give a more accurate figure and would be interested in hearing how this would be accomplished , when to me it would seem like magic.
This is where the testing and understanding how and what each layer is doing to give the rim the characteristic you want as a result. Not every layer is meant to add improved strength. Some are there to improve ride feel and others bridge gaps and connect the puzzle together.
What you are asking is a great question, but without going into great detail with a response that is more about how we do what we do and give away too much information, this is the best I can offer.
The long and short of it all is, we were able to achieve this through loads of R&D, testing and refining our processes. It all starts with a goal and a design. It is the hard work and engineering that achieves the goal. Combine that with all the data that we recorded throughout the process and 10g heavier is the result.

I hope that isn't too vauge.

·
Banned
553 Posts
What do you think of the new Santa Cruz rim with extra meat around each spoke hole.
As someone who built a lot, and I mean a lot, of Wolber tubular rims back in the day and saw how too much tension distorted that area supporting the nipple I think that (Santa Cruz's) idea is a good one.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Nope, if that's as much as you can share. Still though, I may not be an engineer, but I've had some experience with fibre glass and carbon and you just have to add an extra tea spoon of resin and that's 10g. Just can't see this as possible, not and retain the same strength and ride characteristics, the 29er rim has to be weaker and have more flex relative to the 650B.
.......I hope that isn't too vague.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
You're intuition is right, LyNx, and you don't need to be an engineer to know when you're being lied to.

Scaling the rim up to 622 should add 30g, not 10. If the difference is real, which it may not be, then there should be a reasonable explanation. What's offered here is not one.

What's more likely, that "hard working" engineers accomplish something that defies logic and that is never seen in other products, that a company with no track record pushes out products with different layups that they don't understand, or that a company publishes specs that are inconsistent and at odds with reality?
I do not think we are lying to anyone here.
The layups are not the same. If they were the same layup, the diameter of the rim would make them behave differently.
The rims were designed for the same purpose, and there are slight variations in the layup to keep the 29 down in weight and keep the performance in line with the 27.5

Our Teams background is complete with experience engineering at Rolls-Royce in the composites department and working with Asian carbon rim manufacturers to better processes and improve their products for the North American market. This product has been in the development stages for eight months. We test all of our products in-house and have a full understanding of what behaviors we engineer into them. All of our processes are done in-house. We machine all of our molds, cut all of our carbon, layup and finish all of our rims here. Nothing is farmed out, and we have full control over the entire manufacturing process.

We recognize that the carbon rim market is murky. There is a load of companies out there that do not even know who makes their products and just apply fancy decals. We pride ourselves on not being grouped into that bracket. Our goal is to be transparent as possible without giving away all of our proprietary data.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good job bringing an in-house product like this to market. Hope to see you guys succeed. I used to live in Kamloops, and if I was still up there I would possibly be considering a set of these wheels.

Your video on YouTube was pretty rad - you guys going to drop some 20" Carbon BMX wheels in the future?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
You asked for it, so here's my thoughts.........

Nicely produced, utterly useless to a consumer. You want to reassure and make possible future clients trust you, spend sometime with interviews of the actual people working there, show their passion and knowledge, not some nicely lit fluff piece.

FYI, I have nothing against you or your company, I don't trust anything new,especially when they're claiming to have basically designed a "hummingbird" ;)

I just wanted to share a small factory tour video we are showing to introduce out team and show a bit of our process.

Please share your thoughts with me and I would be happy to answer any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4NGxFuonok

Cheers

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You asked for it, so here's my thoughts.........

Nicely produced, utterly useless to a consumer. You want to reassure and make possible future clients trust you, spend sometime with interviews of the actual people working there, show their passion and knowledge, not some nicely lit fluff piece.

FYI, I have nothing against you or your company, I don't trust anything new,especially when they're claiming to have basically designed a "hummingbird" ;)
Thanks for your honest opinion. In business, nothing happens over night. The team in the video has a long history in the mountain bike industry, and I would love to share our passion with you.

I am the owner, and my name is Dustin Adams. I spent the last 25 years in the mountain bike business, racing World Cup Downhill for Giant in the USA, I have tested for many great companies over the years and am excited to bring We Are One to the world. Most recently, I was part owner of NOBL wheels and an acting agent for Light Bicycle. My role in both of those companies shows in much of their success over the past 18 months. I helped lead the company and bring Onyx to the table and design the NOBL hub. My other roles were the testing and design of the new 33mm rim and took that product from idea to the market. I have been to Light-bicycle and helped improve the layup process and made improvement suggestions for them to grow as a company.

Our Engineer is Fraser Andrew, he came from Rolls-Royce and worked on structural composite components for the engines on may commercial airliners. He has a massive catalog of knowledge with composites and has helped build all of our in-house testing and layup designs. Fraser brings his background working with FEA software, and we utilize this to develop and improve all of our products. Fraser has competed in many EWS races in Europe and North America and has left his post in England to find a job in the bike biz.

Our lead machinist is Gilles Corbiel, Gilles is an ex-Canadian National XC racer and has been machining as a red seal mold maker for almost 15 years now. He makes all of our molds with our Hass VM3 and as a team with Fraser and myself fine tuned our mold process.

Our two layup staff are Shane Jensen and Wayne Parsons. Shane has been racing bikes since he was 12 years old. Shane had a part in an old mountain bike movie called Kranked 2. He wore a huge 16mm helmet camera and filmed me in Kelowna. We go way back together.
Wayne has helped design tires for Maxxis and with Balfa bicycles in the past. He has always been pushing to improve products in our industry and is well known for his great work in our area.

The passion of our team is undeniable, and our knowledge of composites manufacturing is extensive. We believe in being a transparent company and leaving nothing to question. The goal for We Are One is to create industry leading products through testing and confirmed design. Our focus is innovating our layup design and bringing new materials into our structures that enhance composite rims.

I hope these short few paragraphs shine some more light on who we are, where our passions come from, and what we aim to do as a company.

Cheers

·
transmitter~receiver
9,314 Posts
Thanks for your honest opinion. In business, nothing happens over night. The team in the video has a long history in the mountain bike industry, and I would love to share our passion with you.

I am the owner, and my name is Dustin Adams. I spent the last 25 years in the mountain bike business, racing World Cup Downhill for Giant in the USA, I have tested for many great companies over the years and am excited to bring We Are One to the world. Most recently, I was part owner of NOBL wheels and an acting agent for Light Bicycle. My role in both of those companies shows in much of their success over the past 18 months. I helped lead the company and bring Onyx to the table and design the NOBL hub. My other roles were the testing and design of the new 33mm rim and took that product from idea to the market. I have been to Light-bicycle and helped improve the layup process and made improvement suggestions for them to grow as a company.

Our Engineer is Fraser Andrew, he came from Rolls-Royce and worked on structural composite components for the engines on may commercial airliners. He has a massive catalog of knowledge with composites and has helped build all of our in-house testing and layup designs. Fraser brings his background working with FEA software, and we utilize this to develop and improve all of our products. Fraser has competed in many EWS races in Europe and North America and has left his post in England to find a job in the bike biz.

Our lead machinist is Gilles Corbiel, Gilles is an ex-Canadian National XC racer and has been machining as a red seal mold maker for almost 15 years now. He makes all of our molds with our Hass VM3 and as a team with Fraser and myself fine tuned our mold process.

Our two layup staff are Shane Jensen and Wayne Parsons. Shane has been racing bikes since he was 12 years old. Shane had a part in an old mountain bike movie called Kranked 2. He wore a huge 16mm helmet camera and filmed me in Kelowna. We go way back together.
Wayne has helped design tires for Maxxis and with Balfa bicycles in the past. He has always been pushing to improve products in our industry and is well known for his great work in our area.

The passion of our team is undeniable, and our knowledge of composites manufacturing is extensive. We believe in being a transparent company and leaving nothing to question. The goal for We Are One is to create industry leading products through testing and confirmed design. Our focus is innovating our layup design and bringing new materials into our structures that enhance composite rims.

I hope these short few paragraphs shine some more light on who we are, where our passions come from, and what we aim to do as a company.

Cheers
Make a comparable rim to the Teocalli and I'll guarantee the sale of at least one pair. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Another small insight to our testing of impact done on our AGENT rims. In this link, you will see the 27.5 rim built to 125Kg/f tension absorb and impact of 70lbs dropped from 17" in height. Notice there deformation of the rim, and the impact zone spokes lose all tension. The load is then sent to the 6,7,8 spokes away from the impact zone and causes a failure to happen.
This test helped us develop a better nipple bed area layup and optimize spoke tension. Now our rims are pushing drop impact tests of 20" with the same weight. A huge improvement and a huge part of our development.
There is no damage to the impact zone of the rim at all. This was the 8th impact test as you can see on the rim, so the abuse was considerable on the rim at that point. Can carbon be designed to absorb impacts? We are working towards it and have made some very big gains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgOb7__9FYs

Cheers

21 - 40 of 512 Posts