Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
No Fear
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all….

Im Saber from Iran…….long time since im not in the mtbr any more……back in the era I used to report all the progression in our local MTB society here but now I work for our own local Forum…!!1

We have developed sooooo much you wouldn’t believe….ill show you later…..

But now the very first problems are showing up and I though hey man I had a place to use friends experiences in such situations…….

A common issue I know you all had had in the states…….conflicts with hickers….
As trail users are growing every day parallel to bikers…..conflicts are inevitable and the problem os that the municipality is on the hiker side……

The first city to have real problems is Isfahan in the middle of iran….So I think this problem could up come in other cities like ours in the capital too…..
As im seeing more and more hikers these days also even more bikers on the trails……

MY question is how have you came along with this thing ? in the states…We need your experience….I know you have had long fights and struggles in the early 2000’s…

If we can use those valuable experiences you had made out of those years we can claim our rights with less effort and lost time…..

So im telling we need you help .your thoughts your ideas…here just on the other side of the globe…..

After all we are from a same generation….we are all bikers…..

Finding new trails ??

Building new ones ?

Claiming our rights on offices with paper work?

Or a combination af all…. Ho to……

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
First .....bikes must yield to hikers.....make the bikers aware....tell them to say hello ...so the experience with bikers is very pleasant.

second ....have bikes with bells on multi use trails....then hikers can hear them

third.......repeat first step

fourth.....be quiet if trails are near houses.....these people complain when people leave trash and loud radios(at least in the United States)

fifth ...and most important is step one

Reactions: CHUM

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wish you the very best of luck, this will always be an uphill battle in the downhill world. Just like SMT said I would stop and be VERY kind and courteous to all other trail users. Yield to them, and whenever possible stop and talk to them. The more that the hikers understand the MTBers the less they will complain (or at lest it works that way on paper). Everyone else that you ride w/ needs to practice this as well. Like I said good luck!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Over here in America the media gives us the impression that your government isn't too fond of hikers. Seems like every time an American goes hiking over there we get arrested for international espionage.

Gotta just keep trucking on. Spots are gonna get shut down and hard work is going to be destroyed. That's just part of the growing pains. At the end of the day it all comes down to finding land managers that like bikes. The first step is pushing a positive public image so people better understand what you're doing. Don't let it get you down.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Find a line in the Koran that supports universal access for mtb, call hikers infadels, proceed in the manner used for all issues in the region.
Seriously? This guy is first and foremost a mountain biker, a downhiller for that matter. He's asking a question that practically all of us on this forum struggle with as well. Why shouldn't our responses be focused on that? And you may be shocked to know that not all Persians/Iranians/Middle-Easterners are extremists...

OP, we have the same issues here in Western world. As a lot of the members here have pointed out, building goodwill in the community helps out a lot. The best case I've seen so far is in North Vancouver. NSMBA (NSMBA | North Shore Mountain Bike Association) is a good organization to get ideas.

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
Seriously? This guy is first and foremost a mountain biker, a downhiller for that matter. He's asking a question that practically all of us on this forum struggle with as well. Why shouldn't our responses be focused on that? And you may be shocked to know that not all Persians/Iranians/Middle-Easterners are extremists...

OP, we have the same issues here in Western world. As a lot of the members here have pointed out, building goodwill in the community helps out a lot. The best case I've seen so far is in North Vancouver. NSMBA (NSMBA | North Shore Mountain Bike Association) is a good organization to get ideas.
:thumbsup:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Sabre is a good egg, he just wants to ride his bike and shares the stoke. Don't bag on the guy b/c his government if effed up. I did enjoy the "ride fast" comment earlier, though.

As for Sabre's question, what is the issue? Environmental? Private land holders? Public? I would find out and construct an argument to refute that. Not sure how one gets heard in the islamic republic on these issues. It seems from your posts there is some support over there for racing and similar activities. Perhaps you can appeal to those folks for support for local trails to promote good health, camaraderie, responsible use of the outdoors, etc... Perhaps such activities for youth is a positive thing and keeps them from doing things they shouldn't (e.g. playing video games). Perhaps these things are part of an islamic ideal - you could make that argument if it would work.

We have our own problems with trail access in the States, I sympathize. Most of our problems are dealing with public agencies who are run by environmentalists who can't conceive of why someone would want to ride their bikes in the wilderness. Perhaps as a result of being much less densely populated in the country to our north, the Canadians seem to have worked this out and have awesome trail systems.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Like other people have said good will seems to go a long way. Try to work with whoever is responsible for or owns the land. Show the world that you'll have a positive impact. Maybe organize a volunteer day to clean up or improve the area somehow to show that mt bikers are good people that will look after the land and have a positive impact on the area/community? You could also consider having a try mt biking day where you invite the local community to come out and try riding a bike. Not sure if any of these make sense in your area, but hopefully it helps.

Ideally you'll be able to separate biking from hiking trails. In our area that seems to work better on average (especially when DH is involved).

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.