Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read the reviews ( a few ) did a search on the WB Fluid 135 and came up with a mixed bag. Seems like the biggest complaint is hard to balance small bump compliance or overly plush. So to those w/ experience whats the deal ? Improper spring rate, poor damper design, too much stichion ? I really prefer coil suspensions but I don't want to spend $$$ if the fork doesn't perform. Thanks.

·
Underskilled
4,751 Posts
The fork is almost perfect, the only complaint is the water sealing is not too good (not good enough for UK).

White brothers are willing to spend ages with you getting the spring rate right.

I would say in certain situations it is more capable than my Dorado descending.

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
White brothers are willing to spend ages with you getting the spring rate right.

So does it actually take ages to get it right ? Do they offer spring rates based on rider weight ? I have found w/ any coil suspension it does take trail and error to get a spring rate that works well with the damper characteristics.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I was lent a 135 W/B fluid fork for my Rip9 while waiting for my XX fork & it is a nice fork.

The axle to crown height is very short for a 135 mm fork.

I still liked the 120mm Fox more & have not done alot of miles on the XX yet maybe by Wednesday night.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,795 Posts
Just so you know I spoke with WB about setting up a 150 as a 135 and they will do it. The A-C is about ~15mm longer (IIRC) than the 135 and you get the burlier crown with longer skirts. I opted to just get the 135 but was tempted.

·
Underskilled
4,751 Posts
I forgot to say, the positive air chamber is the cause of the stiction and lack of small bump compliance.

You can run the air chamber empty or a negative pressure (compress then equalise pressure, when you let the fork extend you have a negative pressure).

Compression dampening is best done with booster springs, or custom spring stack.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
For whatever reason the F135 gets either a love or a hate response. Not too many people who ride them end up in the mid-ground. Personally I found it to be a well rounded fork. At about 240lb I ran the booster springs and about 12-15psi in the air chamber. I had no issue with compliance small or big.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts