Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 months old F135 is losing air. Between rides (1 day) the air dissipates, but seems to hold during the ride.

The fork has seen light to moderate use when it worked fine, and has had a 2 month period of non use, before going back on a bike when I noticed the problem

I'm starting from scratch here and thought I might be able to save time if someone could guide me in the short direction


TIA
 

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
It might be something simple like tightening up the nut at the base of the air assist valve... Email WB and see if they have any suggestions.
 

·
Powered by ice cream.
Joined
·
6,355 Posts
That was an ominous sign to me that the upper seal on the right was about to spew oil. I would notice the air leak typically a few weeks/rides prior to the seal leaking oil.

Sorry. Hope it's something else. Is it the right side?
 

·
Reviewer/Tester
Joined
·
6,176 Posts
The first thing to do is to check that the Schrader valve is tight. Use a Schrader valve tool and check it. Sometimes, they get a bit loose from vibration and leak slowly.


R.


bonesetter2004 said:
My 12 months old F135 is losing air. Between rides (1 day) the air dissipates, but seems to hold during the ride.

The fork has seen light to moderate use when it worked fine, and has had a 2 month period of non use, before going back on a bike when I noticed the problem

I'm starting from scratch here and thought I might be able to save time if someone could guide me in the short direction


TIA
 

·
rider
Joined
·
2,356 Posts
It is pretty normal for schraeder valves on forks/shocks to become loose after repeated applications of the air pump.

Just to cover the bases, you could leave the bike upside down and see if the fork seal leaks. If nothing else you will have given the seals/ upper bushings a good oil soaking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
29erchico said:
It is pretty normal for schraeder valves on forks/shocks to become loose after repeated applications of the air pump.

Just to cover the bases, you could leave the bike upside down and see if the fork seal leaks. If nothing else you will have given the seals/ upper bushings a good oil soaking.
Wow! :cool: :thumbsup:

The bike/fork has not been used for 2 months (it was fine bfore this break), added in was that they were in a porch which had high temperature variations... maybe a factor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Worst case?

Enel said:
That was an ominous sign to me that the upper seal on the right was about to spew oil. I would notice the air leak typically a few weeks/rides prior to the seal leaking oil.

Sorry. Hope it's something else. Is it the right side?
Found this oil around the right side seal yesterday (non brake disc side)

Is this much of a job to put right, and what replacement part do I need to order? In the pic, is that the seal which needs replacement?

Bit of a disappointment as the fork came very expensive in the UK, and I have only used it for 8 months...

Cheers
 

Attachments

·
Powered by ice cream.
Joined
·
6,355 Posts
bonesetter2004 said:
Found this oil around the right side seal yesterday (non brake disc side)

Is this much of a job to put right, and what replacement part do I need to order? In the pic, is that the seal which needs replacement?

Bit of a disappointment as the fork came very expensive in the UK, and I have only used it for 8 months...

Cheers
Sorry.

I had that happen three times on the same fork. The first time, I did the seal replacement myself (it's easy and the parts are light to ship). Second time I sent it back to WB and they replaced it. Third time I sent it back and I think it came back with different lowers. It never leaked over a year after the final fix. Not sure what they did differently if anything.

I would have them get you a seal. You really just need to communicate with WB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Enel said:
Sorry.

I had that happen three times on the same fork. The first time, I did the seal replacement myself (it's easy and the parts are light to ship). Second time I sent it back to WB and they replaced it. Third time I sent it back and I think it came back with different lowers. It never leaked over a year after the final fix. Not sure what they did differently if anything.

I would have them get you a seal. You really just need to communicate with WB.
He, He. Thanks for the sympathy. It's not so bad, my SIR is much more in favour than the RIP, now winter's here :) . I'll PM WB's now and see what they say. They have a dealer here I think/hope

Plus, I want to try the SIR's Reba Team (@120) on the RIP. There's something that just isn't sitting right with the 135. The SIR (@100) is just so much more of a ball at the mo...
 

·
A Surly Maverick
Joined
·
2,698 Posts
Hi Bonesetter......

I have good news on the UK White Brothers servicing front ! :)

Contact Ben at :- [email protected]

or phone:- (01594) 529422.

They are a warranty and service centre for White Brothers.

All my dealings with them have been excellent.

Cheers
Dr FG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dr Feelygood ! said:
Hi Bonesetter......

I have good news on the UK White Brothers servicing front ! :)

Contact Ben at :- [email protected]

or phone:- (01594) 529422.

They are a warranty and service centre for White Brothers.

All my dealings with them have been excellent.

Cheers
Dr FG.
Hey Dr FG!

Top Call, thanks. That's a great help, not to mention a big releif too :thumbsup:
 

·
A Surly Maverick
Joined
·
2,698 Posts
Pleased to help. :D

It`s possible that I currently have the most WB 29er forks in the UK so I`m well aquainted with Ben.

Happy Chistmas ! :thumbsup:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top