Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 months old F135 is losing air. Between rides (1 day) the air dissipates, but seems to hold during the ride.

The fork has seen light to moderate use when it worked fine, and has had a 2 month period of non use, before going back on a bike when I noticed the problem

I'm starting from scratch here and thought I might be able to save time if someone could guide me in the short direction

TIA

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
It might be something simple like tightening up the nut at the base of the air assist valve... Email WB and see if they have any suggestions.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,355 Posts
That was an ominous sign to me that the upper seal on the right was about to spew oil. I would notice the air leak typically a few weeks/rides prior to the seal leaking oil.

Sorry. Hope it's something else. Is it the right side?

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
The first thing to do is to check that the Schrader valve is tight. Use a Schrader valve tool and check it. Sometimes, they get a bit loose from vibration and leak slowly.

R.

bonesetter2004 said:
My 12 months old F135 is losing air. Between rides (1 day) the air dissipates, but seems to hold during the ride.

The fork has seen light to moderate use when it worked fine, and has had a 2 month period of non use, before going back on a bike when I noticed the problem

I'm starting from scratch here and thought I might be able to save time if someone could guide me in the short direction

TIA

·
rider
2,356 Posts
It is pretty normal for schraeder valves on forks/shocks to become loose after repeated applications of the air pump.

Just to cover the bases, you could leave the bike upside down and see if the fork seal leaks. If nothing else you will have given the seals/ upper bushings a good oil soaking.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
29erchico said:
It is pretty normal for schraeder valves on forks/shocks to become loose after repeated applications of the air pump.

Just to cover the bases, you could leave the bike upside down and see if the fork seal leaks. If nothing else you will have given the seals/ upper bushings a good oil soaking.
Wow! :cool: :thumbsup:

The bike/fork has not been used for 2 months (it was fine bfore this break), added in was that they were in a porch which had high temperature variations... maybe a factor?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Worst case?

Enel said:
That was an ominous sign to me that the upper seal on the right was about to spew oil. I would notice the air leak typically a few weeks/rides prior to the seal leaking oil.

Sorry. Hope it's something else. Is it the right side?
Found this oil around the right side seal yesterday (non brake disc side)

Is this much of a job to put right, and what replacement part do I need to order? In the pic, is that the seal which needs replacement?

Bit of a disappointment as the fork came very expensive in the UK, and I have only used it for 8 months...

Cheers

Attachments

·