Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Eat the Earth
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how the trail conditions are at Waywayanda? First H2H race is being held there on Sunday and I was wondering what kind of tires I should use. Does the trail hold water and get muddy easily? Looks like rain for Saturday night...

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
You need alot more then just Tires!

WheelieWonka said:
Anyone know how the trail conditions are at Waywayanda? First H2H race is being held there on Sunday and I was wondering what kind of tires I should use. Does the trail hold water and get muddy easily? Looks like rain for Saturday night...

Thanks!
Dude that place gets really muddy its going suck real bad... I would use a singlespeed bike!

·
Registered
17 Posts
WheelieWonka said:

Thanks!
As long as we don't get a torrential rain on Saturday the conditions should be reasonably dry. Like most places, Waway has it's sections that are always a little muddy.

·
Registered
929 Posts
What gear are you running?

Just curious. I have never been there. Is it flat or hilly (sounds rocky and potentially very, very muddy if it rains)

I just don't want to push too light of a gear if it is a relatively flat course.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Molasses said:
Just curious. I have never been there. Is it flat or hilly (sounds rocky and potentially very, very muddy if it rains)

I just don't want to push too light of a gear if it is a relatively flat course.
Based on my biking fitness, I consider this course to be relatively tough. It's got plenty of climbing and can be very rocky and technical in places. Maybe others with better fitness will disagree.

·
Registered
17 Posts
JerseyT said:
As long as we don't get a torrential rain on Saturday the conditions should be reasonably dry. Like most places, Waway has it's sections that are always a little muddy.
Well...so much for "reasonably dry" conditions. It's been steadily raining most of the day up here. Tomorrow will be.....interesting. :eek:

·
bikeaholic
714 Posts
I didn't think that the mud was that much of a problem. That new trail that they just cut was pretty techical. Anyone know where we can get results? I was too tired to stick around until the end.

·
Registered
363 Posts
JerseyT said:
I agree, Dougie. The trails were in much better shape than I ever expected....and I'm a local!

Supposedly the results will be posted at http://www.skylandscycling.com/ in the near future.
I was amazed myself at the trail conditions. The new section was a tough son of @#$#@ especially with the wet rocks and that wet mulch stuff!!!

·
Eat the Earth
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
yeah - using my mud tires was a huge mistake. lot's of rolling resistance and they just slipped all over that first tech. section/hike a bike section. I should have pre-rode the course. I went all out in the beginning and just got stomped in the technical singletrack. Big bottle neck effect too. At some points I felt like I was on line at an amusement park or something... the bugs were nasty too... had fun anyway ;)

Anyone know where we can find the Hudson to Highland Series website? Can't find it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
WheelieWonka said:
yeah - using my mud tires was a huge mistake. lot's of rolling resistance and they just slipped all over that first tech. section/hike a bike section. I should have pre-rode the course. I went all out in the beginning and just got stomped in the technical singletrack. Big bottle neck effect too. At some points I felt like I was on line at an amusement park or something... the bugs were nasty too... had fun anyway ;)

Anyone know where we can find the Hudson to Highland Series website? Can't find it.
My apologies, WW. I didn't mean to negatively affect your tire selection. Saturday's rain was steady and went on all day. I really expected much sloppier conditions for the race. :eek:

Regarding the H2H series.....I'm not sure there is a specific H2H website. However, I did find this flyer on the TeamBulldog website.
http://www.teambulldog.com/docs/2005_Campmor_Hudson_to_Highland_NORBA__Regional_MTB_Series.pdf

·
Eat the Earth
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JerseyT - no need to apologize... I would have bet my piggy bank on Saturday night that it was going to be a slopfest. When I got there, the beginners were coming through dry as bones. I was like "oh well"...
Thanks for the link! ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
WheelieWonka said:
JerseyT - no need to apologize... I would have bet my piggy bank on Saturday night that it was going to be a slopfest. When I got there, the beginners were coming through dry as bones. I was like "oh well"...
Thanks for the link! ;)
Your right, I only got my feet wet in the bog section but other than that it was easy to find lines that were dry. I used my Fast Trak Pros 2.0 and thought I was screwed, but it turned out to be a good choice.

·
Registered
256 Posts
tubeless setup would have been nice!

My stan's kit let me down (hard!) last year so I'm back to tubes until I can afford a tubeless wheelset, but... with all the rocks, down trees and muckety-muck, the tank tread-like qualities of a tubeless setup would have been nice!

BTW- I'm still feeling the bug pain, they got me good! Little red dots that itch like a mother :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.