Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
650b me
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please share your experience if you have ever waxed your chain. I just waxed two of mine, but I don't have enough miles on them to report in yet. How many miles can I expect before needing to rewax? For what riding conditions is wax optimal?

·
Registered
660 Posts
So that's what the kids call it now, "waxing the chain." ;)

I waxed the chain a lot when I was in high school, but never two at the same time. I didn't have two then and I don't have two now.

Sometimes, I'd wax the chain 2-3 times a day, but only when no one else was home. Sometimes I'd look at "bike" magazines and get the urge to wax the chain again. It's my recollection that there's never a bad time to wax your chain. Whatever you do, be sure to keep a couple of rags handy while you're waxing your chain.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I think the best conditions to wax a chain is the 1990s. These days, you'll get better results with one of the really nice lubes out there. Wax doesn't attract dirt, but I never found it to work that much better than lube so that it is worth the trouble. Add on the messy flaking and impossibility to reapply on trail, and it doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Get a good lube and get into a pre/post ride ritual of chain cleaning and lubing.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I used to wax chains , twenty five years ago . The advent of quality chain lubes has rendered waxing obsolete IMHO .

·
Registered
603 Posts
older and slower said:
So that's what the kids call it now, "waxing the chain." ;)

I waxed the chain a lot when I was in high school, but never two at the same time. I didn't have two then and I don't have two now.

Sometimes, I'd wax the chain 2-3 times a day, but only when no one else was home. Sometimes I'd look at "bike" magazines and get the urge to wax the chain again. It's my recollection that there's never a bad time to wax your chain. Whatever you do, be sure to keep a couple of rags handy while you're waxing your chain.
LOL...Hilarious :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Squirt!!! I have tried lots of oil and wax base lubes and nothing seemed to last longer than one or two rides. My rides being 20 to 50 miles, in south west deserts that are mostly dry and dusty. I now have 5 rides on my first application and my drive train is still smooth and quiet. The last wax lube I used was finish line dry and I only got 19 miles before things felt rough. So if you want wax, try the squirt it is long lasting and is easy to use!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If you get the mix right...I mean the ratio of paraffin to oil, the wax job lasts a long time. Easily 10 rides. It doesn't attract dirt and soaking it in the hot wax cleans the dirt out from between the links. I don't really see how dumping lube on the outside of a chain cleans between the pins and links...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Wax is for skis, floors, furniture, cars and maybe your metal bike's frame tubes. Don't wax chains unless you want them bright and shiny for a photograph.

While wax is clean, it provides minimal protection against friction, and is rapidly worn off the point of contact so it has very short service life.

In all fairness, I should tell you to consider the source, I have an obvious bias since I make an oil chain lube, But then again, if I thought wax was better, I'd have made a wax chain lube.

·
650b me
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Obviously, another case of individual preference. I hate how quickly my drivetrain gets dirty using oil-based lubes, no matter what claims they make. For the past several years I have used Pedro's Ice Wax. I love how clean it keeps my drivetrain, but it's only good for about 20 miles. I'm going to give Squirt a try. I live and ride in Colorado, which tends to be on the dry and sandy side for the most part.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
golden boy said:
Obviously, another case of individual preference. I hate how quickly my drivetrain gets dirty using oil-based lubes, no matter what claims they make. For the past several years I have used Pedro's Ice Wax. I love how clean it keeps my drivetrain, but it's only good for about 20 miles. I'm going to give Squirt a try. I live and ride in Colorado, which tends to be on the dry and sandy side for the most part.
You should give Chain-L a try. If you apply as the instructions state, it is a very clean lube. I would bet my transmission looks as good as any. The first ride typically will have some dust, wipe it off and I am good. Keep in mind, I live in the desert, so all we do is ride in dust. And it out lasts any lube I have ever tried. I do get some build up around the jockey pulleys and the 2nd chainring, but nothing that doesn't happen with any other lube I have tried.

Any of my friends that have sampled the lube have converted. I do plenty of long rides, I couldn't imagine having to pull out my lube and lube on the trail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts