Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Scalpel coming, and it's the first bike that has any carbon fiber on it for me. Also, the one I ordered has the matte finish. In the past I always used Pledge or Marine wax(because I have it laying around) on my bikes like a couple times a year to shed off the mud and crappola. This has worked well so far, but will wax be a concern on a matte finish and can you put it on carbon fiber? I scanned Cdal's online documentation and it only speaks to using mild soap to wash it. Any opinions would be appreciated, however I realize I'm on the "anal" side, most people don't wax their bike for whatever reasons, but I find it much easier to maintain it's finish if I do. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wax should not be used on a matte finish. I can't speak for the carbon fiber, but as long as the surface is 'shiny' there is enough gel coat on the surface that you could use wax. Just don't know why you would want to...

·
a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
238 Posts
Zuestman said:
if you are looking for something to help shed mud. use PAM
PAM?? Perhaps, I missed the boat on this. What do you use Pam on...and how?

Thanks.

Oh - and Keetowah, I wax my bike a couple times a year too. But not my matte finished Prophet.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Some people spray PAM on their frames because it supposedly creates a slick surface for the mud to slide off of. It does nothing but create a mess in my opinion. I tried it on the top surface of my snowboard a few times for the same reason - it was suppose to keep the snow from sticking and building up on top of the board. It may have worked for one run - after that...nothin'.

In my opinion, don't worry about it. Ride bike...get bike dirty...hose bike off...relube drivetrain...repeat.

·
Registered
399 Posts
ChipAllen said:
Some people spray PAM on their frames because it supposidly creates a slick surface for the mud to slide off of. It does nothing but create a mess in my opinion. I tried it on the top surface of my snowboard a few times for the same reason - it was suppose to keep the snow from sticking and building up on top of the board. It may have worked for one run - after that...nothin'.

In my opinion, don't worry about it. Ride bike...get bike dirty...hose bike off...relube drivetrain...repeat.
Roland Green seems to think that using PAM cooking spray keeps off the mud. A couple years ago MBA profiled Green's bike, in the article Roland mentioned using PAM for muddy races. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.