Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have waxed my chains for awhile. Usually get 300-350 km on the gravel bike and 200-250 km on the mtb before re-waxing. Longest tour l've ridden is 200 km. Now I'm planning a 1200 km tour on the gravel bike that will pass through several towns (no cities). The tour starts at my front door. I estimate it will take 10 days; not going for a FKT. Wondering what to do about the chain, I came up with these options. Some options require packing a swisher tool and/or master link pliers. My spares kit includes master links and a short length of chain.
- Pack a small bag of wax. Knock on someone's door and ask if I can borrow their slow cooker for an hour. ;-)
- Find bike shops along the way that have the means to wax chains. I've never been in a shop that waxed chains, except the one I worked at in the late 70's-early 80's.
- Pack extra waxed chains to swap out. I'd need 3.
- Mail waxed chains and maybe some other goodies to post offices along the route, marked hold for pickup by the crazy cyclist. Similar to what thru-hikers do.
- Get the spouse or a friend to drive out and meet me along the route with waxed chains and other goodies. Treat them to lunch and go on my way.
- Pack a small bottle of chain lube. I bought a small bottle of Wolftooth WT-1, and I hope it will do the job.