Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious, do you all polish or wax your bike? Easy to keep it looking like new or does mud and rock debris will pretty much make it a lost cause. Just curious cos I know you will say a bike is meant to be well used... :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Buffing with polishing-compound, then waxing works out well enough for me when performing semi-annual servicing... it's a lot easier when the wheelset is off along with the rest of the parts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, I thought if I did it, it might be easier to clean. However, I also think that a bike might be pretty scratched up if ventured all over trails and rocks.... which I hope to.... soon.... :)

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I don't wax my bikes but I suppose it might help with the cleaning.

Rule 1 : YOU cause the first scratch on YOUR bike...

·
Registered
432 Posts
i sometimes use captain richards polish (it's my boss's Harley poish) easy to use and it'll make a turd sparkle.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
To make it simple you could try a spray on car wax. I would think you would want to at least remove your wheels or protect the braking surface from getting wax on it.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I wax my bike once a year when I do the big clean up as I spray the bike down with all purpose cleaner and clean the chain with simple green degreaser.

The painted surface of a bike is so small compared to a car that it literally takes me a minute do the whole bike.

The type of wax is not that important as in auto since bikes are not constantly exposed to the elements and UV rays.

Polish is not the same as wax. Wax protects while polish only cleans and provides no protective layer.

I use Collinite 476 wax which is the most durable auto wax I've tried. On cars it lasts 8-12 months so you can imagine how much longer it will last on a bike. The stuff is detergent proof too since I have to wash my application pads at least 3 times in the washer to get the wax off of them. It's that durable.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Zachariah said:
This is mountain biking, Fred....detailing your bike is like bringing sand to the beach.
You missed the part where I mentioned easier to clean later. I would hardly call a 3 minute wax job detailing.

On the other hand a full detail job on my joy ride takes me two days!

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
Unless someone hates their paint job why would they be so lazy #ss to not wax it at least once or twice a year. Takes 5 minutes, bike stays cleaner and looks better. It's uncool to wax your bike? The weight weenies and tech snobs can have that attitude.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Starkonian said:
Unless someone hates their paint job why would they be so lazy #ss to not wax it at least once or twice a year. Takes 5 minutes, bike stays cleaner and looks better. It's uncool to wax your bike? The weight weenies and tech snobs can have that attitude.
Dirty bikes must be the new fad. Like ******* monster trucks...the more mud the more hardcore!

·
From my cold, dead hands
496 Posts
Since we're kinda on the subject, I'm curious how often you guys just wash your bikes? Do you use a hose and spray the whole bike down or is this bad? Some people have told me its not good to wash your bike like that too often because of rust/corrosion the water may cause and that water may get in the bearings. Is this true?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.