Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
despite the funny look...

(they look like truck driver stuff).... this guy claims his rotor is 50gr lighter than Avid and Hayes at 100gr. As far as I know Avid/Hayes rotors are 110gr... and according to my math...that's only 10 grams...

I'm still reticent to use SS bolts on aluminum.... easily seizing (if you forget Loctite or overtorque).

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warp2003 said:
(they look like truck driver stuff).... this guy claims his rotor is 50gr lighter than Avid and Hayes at 100gr. As far as I know Avid/Hayes rotors are 110gr... and according to my math...that's only 10 grams...

I'm still reticent to use SS bolts on aluminum.... easily seizing (if you forget Loctite or overtorque).
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=discbrakes lists 160mm rotors between about 110 and 150.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I find it very interesting that the description of how and why the wavy rotor works is nearly word-for-word from the post that Galfer USA gave on this board (may have been the old board).

It "quality" of the stainless steel alloy used seems strange to me, too. The reason for using stainless is not (just) for rust resistance. The alloy is chosen for its grip/bite and wear properties. I have never had any of my "inferior" stainless rotors (Avid and Galfer) rust in my wet, muddy Oregon conditions.

Weight? My 160 mm Avid rotor is 110g, no where near the 150g claimed so a savings of a whooping 3-10g!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.